Half-Life: Instance Zero

caste

Hunter
Reaction score
Condemned by vitrification on February 7, 2014.

001_GG_Expedition.jpg

Caste I like you...do you like me? XD

On topic, seriously Im glad that this is the first post on this forum(since releas of episode 2)that makes sence and the best part is that your thinking in same way as I always did. I REALLY hope that episode 3 wount have happy ending at least we can expect a lot of new half lifes in future.Its really something that holds you on in this "neverending waiting for ep 3" times.

Now again this post made me to go play whole half life series again.

Probably the best first post this section of the forums has ever seen. Sounds pretty plausible to me.

Can any mods trace his IP to see if he might turn out to be a double agent for Valve?

whos theory is this? it was on the Black mesa forums as well.

whos theory is this? it was on the Black mesa forums as well.

don't worry, just check below the theory, GothicFighter already said : "This is not my post. It belongs to "caste" from HL2.net."

It has to be spread :D

Anyway, your theory makes sense and I support it.
You have my respect for taking the time and doing research and all. Maybe it should go to Gabe.

It has to be spread :D

Anyway, your theory makes sense and I support it.
You have my respect for taking the time and doing research and all. Maybe it should go to Gabe.

Thanks, I can't register there, it is said "registration has been disabled by the administrator", so if I edit that theory here, could you also edit it in black mesa forums, ok ?

thought it was a shame when valve said they were discontinuing the relationship between Portal and Half-Life. The original plan was that Chell would have 'a very close relationship' with some of the characters from the Half-Life arena, according to an interview with gabe which I lost track of.

Heh the gman has a file cabinet jetpack.

funny, there was this creepy glitch in the PS2 version where that filing cabinet 'looks' at you; I managed to get into that room via a cheat, and the cabinet always changes to face you.the thing stares at you really creapily...

also- exellent theory. shoulda said before.

You forgot the Vortigaunts! They can even interrupt G-mans business*.

*SOURCE: Half-Life 2 Episode 2

EDIT: When i think about it, it's probarly off topic(?)

You forgot the Vortigaunts! They can even interrupt G-mans business*.

*SOURCE: Half-Life 2 Episode 2

EDIT: When i think about it, it's probarly off topic(?)

in what part of theory I forgot to mention about them ?

So ... what you're saying is ... G-Man is somehow NOT Gordon from the future?

I just saw the Portal 2 co-op trailer and its the best thing I have ever seen(I cry soo good it looks)and this is obviously an "uber army" scenario...created with purpous probabll, since we are talking abaut Aparture science ;)
Valve reless portal and episode 2 together...so now they HAVE to reles portal 2 before episode 3, obviously becouse we have to learn abaut this cybernetic race to "understend" the ending/story of episode 3 and thats why they are so late with episode 3.
So if Portal 2 in on the way it means episode 3 is coming!

I wonder why VALVe choosed an "Android" term for the these test subjects in Portal game. In science-fiction genre an android is a robot or synthetic organism designed to look and act like a human. In Portal games they doesn't look like a human but at least they act like a human. Who knows maybe real purpose of GLaDOS is to make an ideal android like a human with the best experience and knowledge derived from the test subjects, as GLaDOS said already she can make a backup of the brain and also she can apply it for other androids, just look at the portal 2 trailers, what happened with orange android when he died.

The connection with the Earth's magnetic field doesn't really work, because on it's own borealis just means northern, not specifically to do with the northern lights. The ship is called Borealis because it's in the Artic ocean, near the north pole, right?

The connection with the Earth's magnetic field doesn't really work, because on it's own borealis just means northern, not specifically to do with the northern lights. The ship is called Borealis because it's in the Artic ocean, near the north pole, right?

Maybe you're right. But as I said, the reason why I've choosed the EMF for that theory cuz it is mentioned in different science-fiction works as opportunity to teleport and it is also has some indirect links with the Borealis, so why don't VALVe make something like that in Episode Three.

Huge update. A lot of pictures, new chapters (such as G-Man). This time it's not only just the theory, but also is an alternative history.

I don't think the new home world is a very plausible theory. I remember an interview where Newell said the HL universe was heavily influenced by Stephen King's stories. Meaning the game get's its vibe and atmosphere by transforming the known into something bizarre. HL and HL2 clearly executed this philosophy splendidly. They transformed something familiar into a something twisted and it was a lot more frightening than making up an entirely fantastic and new setting with little to no connection to reality.

By shifting the setting to something completely alien you're destroying the familiarity of the world and it no longer feels like something ordinary that's gone horrible awry.

I don't think the new home world is a very plausible theory. I remember an interview where Newell said the HL universe was heavily influenced by Stephen King's stories. Meaning the game get's its vibe and atmosphere by transforming the known into something bizarre. HL and HL2 clearly executed this philosophy splendidly. They transformed something familiar into a something twisted and it was a lot more frightening than making up an entirely fantastic and new setting with little to no connection to reality.

By shifting the setting to something completely alien you're destroying the familiarity of the world and it no longer feels like something ordinary that's gone horrible awry.

probably you're right, maybe it is too distant idea that might be wrong, but I raise the issue how the universe would be look in the next installment, you see, from the first installment VALVe moved to the post-apocalyptic world, and what will be next, another post-apocalyptic world ?! Simple question that has puzzled me.

probably you're right, maybe it is too distant idea that might be wrong, but I raise the issue how the universe would be look in the next installment, you see, from the first installment VALVe moved to the post-apocalyptic world, and what will be next, another post-apocalyptic world ?! Simple question that has puzzled me.

It's a good question indeed. However I don't think they need to travel to an other planet or even dimension in order to change the setting into something new and interesting. Ep.3 will probably take place in the arctic. We've only seen post apocalyptic eastern Europe up till now and the world is a big place. We have no idea what the Combine has done to the rest of the planet, so there are plenty of potential and new exiting places we can go to within the current setting.

What I'm curious about is who (if anyone) will be the next antagonist. Dr. Breen was a brilliant villain in HL2 but the episodes were rather lacking in this respect. Sure you fight the Combine but there's no longer a face or person who's opposing you. Advisors? Maybe, but they lack any kind of personality and to me they more appear to be super monsters rather than actual antagonists.

edit: I completely agree with your theory about the G-man wanting the Borealis destroyed. But maybe you should look at it a little more broadly.

We know that the events of HL2 are part of the G-man's plan/mission/whatever. What we also know is that when the Vortigaunts rescued Gordon And Alyx they thwarted the G-man's plan. So what was the G-man's original plan? By destroying the citadel the Combine would've provoked to send a second invasion force to earth as was told in Ep. 1 or 2(why he wants this to happen is unclear, maybe he's using the Combine as a tool but for what?). However since Gordon escaped the G-man's clutched right after HL2 he was able to close the super portal and deny the Combine forces on earth any reinforcements from the Combine Overworld. But the G-man, being the mastermind that he is, has a backup plan. He uses Alyx to trick Eli into believing he needs to destroy the Borealis. It's therefore possible this is the G-man's backup plan after the was thwarted at the end of HL2. So whatever's on the Borealis is the key to the resistance's victory and by destroying it the G-man's original plan of luring more Combine forces to earth secured once again.

In Episode Three, antagonist should be Judith Mosmann. Here is my thoughts, she believe that what she is doing it will help the Eli's researches and the Resistance (as it mentioned in Half-Life 2 at Eli's lab and in the Citadel where was a conversation between Breen,Eli, Mosmann and Alyx), but Eli is dead and she doesn't know that Eli want to destroy the Borealis, I'm sure that there would be a scene where Alyx will say her that Eli insisted on destroying that ship, but Judith Mosmann won't believe her.
The death of Eli for Alyx is an accepting his last favour and destroy the Borealis.
The death of Eli will increase Judith's faith in Eli's researches and she will continue her work and she will make everything that would help the Resistance.

How old is Gordon at the time of the RC? Freeman had baby pictures (A reference of one of the developers from what I understand), but what if that was twisted to conform to the story. "You have no dependents" in the opening letter could mean Gordon's child has either died, taken custody of or missing. Chell could be his child.

How old is Gordon at the time of the RC? Freeman had baby pictures (A reference of one of the developers from what I understand), but what if that was twisted to conform to the story. "You have no dependents" in the opening letter could mean Gordon's child has either died, taken custody of or missing. Chell could be his child.

Gordon is 27, although Valve has said repeatedly that the picture in his locker was just an easter egg, and if it had any bearing on the story we're supposed to assume it was a little cousin or something. I don't think they'd suddenly go back on that after all this time.

In Episode Three, antagonist should be Judith Mosmann. Here is my thoughts, she believe that what she is doing it will help the Eli's researches and the Resistance (as it mentioned in Half-Life 2 at Eli's lab and in the Citadel where was a conversation between Breen,Eli, Mosmann and Alyx), but Eli is dead and she doesn't know that Eli want to destroy the Borealis, I'm sure that there would be a scene where Alyx will say her that Eli insisted on destroying that ship, but Judith Mosmann won't believe her.
The death of Eli for Alyx is an accepting his last favour and destroy the Borealis.
The death of Eli will increase Judith's faith in Eli's researches and she will continue her work and she will make everything that would help the Resistance.

...bloody hell...genious!! oO

big update people, theory was rewritten in accordance to Portal 2 story. Chapter II and III are extended. I wrote only the most important things, so I passed a lot of information from Aperture history cuz there is no point to write it again as you can read that history anywhere.
This time I tried to contrast Doctor Breen and Cave Johnson personalities, motivations, their characters, opportunities and so on, to show different development ways that they had chosen in order to achieve the main goal in the race. And of course I didn't forget about the new details for G-Man.
Also I removed Chapter V as that theory is only for connections between Half-Life and Portal.

I hope you like it. It's for fun.

experiment.jpg

I have seen the above image as part of a larger piece of artwork that also included a Mammoth tank as the GDI troopers preparing to attack a Nod base.

experiment.jpg

I have seen the above image as part of a larger piece of artwork that also included a Mammoth tank as the GDI troopers preparing to attack a Nod base.

yeah that's true. This small part of picture fits to the BM incident so I decided to use it. I will change it, no problem.

Sometimes I continue making some updates and changes for that theory. My main task for chapter 3.2 is:
1. to rewrite it without any fan-fiction events
2. correctly to tie it with the next chapters
3. make a good story explanation to show why in this theory I'm trying to link Nihilanth to GLaDOS

As for now, theory is more clear and accurate than before, I would recommend to read it again.

UPDATE: It's done, the last chapter was rewritten and the theory is finished.

Now I need your help people, if you see any mistakes in words or sentences please let me know or it would be much better if you rewrite that sentence how it should be, because english isn't my native language.

Back