Half Life Speed Locked?????

F

frenzy987

Hi,

I have been playing half life and noticed something very perculiar when running a fps counter.

The fps never goes beyond 71fps. No matter what settings I change it to or resolution.

I am running a P4 3.0Ghz
512MB Ram
6600GT 128MB PCI Express

even with overclocking it never goes above this speed, this not be a problem if in places it did not drop down to rather lower speeds.

Does anyone have any ideas what may be causing what appears to be a brick wall in my fps. This is a new PC I have just put together and installed Win XP(SP2), DX9.0C, Latest Nvidia Drivers and M/B bios. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Well, I'm not sure but it might have something to do with your monitor's current refresh-rate. If it's set to 70Hz, and you have Vsync on, it could be preventing the game from going over 70 FPS.

Try making your refresh-rate higher or canceling Vsync.
That's my opinion...

I have it set to 85Hz, where would I disable vertical syncing if that was the problem. Also I have some advanced timing options with the nvidia driver, anything I should change here?

Disabling Vsync - When in HL2 main menu, go into options, then video, than advanced, than make sure Vsync is set to off there.

About the drivers - i guess you could try to put it on 'automatic identification by windows' or something like that (I don't know how this is written in the english version of the driver I have the Hebrew one...)...

frenzy987 said:
where would I disable vertical syncing if that was the problem. Also I have some advanced timing options with the nvidia driver, anything I should change here?

I'd say that's your problem (if you want to call it a problem). Vsync will keep your picture from tearing, which is a good thing (especially in HL2). When vsync's enabled your fps won't ever go above your refresh rate.

Anyways, it's in advanced options in the hl2 menu if you want to disable it, but the tearing can get pretty annoying (it's not just with HL2, but with any game with vsync disabled).

that's odd... I have that option there.

I think you could also force Vsync-off mode from the nVidia drivers but i'm not sure, though you might wanna double-check about the advanced options thing...

Yes, it's been reported that the frame rate in HL2 is locked.
If you drop this command into your config file: fps_max "100" and then make your config read only you should see some variation.
Before the patch my framerates hovered just under 100 for most of the game... they're now down to 50 and 60. Wish I knew what they changed so I could return to pre-patch days.

i getting 89FPS with my 2.6ghz 512mb(333) 1024X768 all high settings x6 aa x16 af vsync on . 9800xt 256mb so i dont see why u getting only 71fps. you specs being better than mine

Back