Halflife 2 Combine Costume Redux

Best thing about that suit at that convention, is the fact that until you took the mask off nobody could recognise you!

Wow! that girl had long nails, would'nt like those anywhere near my back!

guess you could be forgiven for being a geek, since the combine suit is a good effort, and if you were thinking of a HEV suit, how about getting a set of one piece motor cycle leathers, and adding bits of orange plexiglass or sheet metal to it.

The only thing I've done remotely like your combine suit, is when I was 17 yrs old and studying ninjutsu, I used to train in a local forest (about 10 square miles), in the day and at night and As well as practising my swordmanship with my Katana, I used to practise my stealth and camouflage by concealing myself in trees and bushes a few feet from a well trodden public footpath, the amount of people I have seen that have walked past me, when I've been virtually in full view and barely a few inches away from them.
Oh! and I was also dressed in full ninja garb, black pants, jacket, hood, gauntlets and authentic split toe'd tabi soft sole boots, and the skin around my eyes that was still visible despite wearing the hood was coloured with soot (charcoal powder).
I had a lot of fun, concealing myself from unsuspecting ramblers.

I even happened upon a great addition to my "costume", I was watching a horror film at home one night, and one of the monsters had bright red eyes, but his body was in shadow.
So the following night, I went to a local park, where plenty of people walked through on their way back from one of the village pubs, My addition to the costume was an old pair of sunglasses, with the lenses removed, and 2 red LED'S (light emitting diode) glued to the top of each side, with a switch and battery.
I hid up a tree, and as 6 local teenagers walked beneath the trees that aligned the path, I broke a twig in half, that I was holding, to get their attention, they all looked up at me, as I sat in the middle of this tree, 20 foot up, When I knew I had their undivided attention, I switched on the LED's.
I can only imagine, what they saw.

The silhouette of something, 20 foot up a tree, at 11.30pm, with a half moon illuminating the park, and this something had glowing red "eyes".

I've never heard 6 teenagers, scream so loud, or run so fast before, in my whole life!

Funniest thing I've ever seen.
It was the talk of the village and the local school for months to come, but nobody ever knew it was me, 'til now!

That was nearly 20 years ago though, and my old katana now gathers dust in my loft.

JudgeWorm said:
I think its kinda dumb and a waste of time, anyone else agree?

If "its kinda dumb" is your own secret phrase for 'I'm a total trolling jackass' and 'a waste of time' is your own secret phrase for 'I can only ever respond to creativity with mockery' then yeah, I'm with you 100%, bud.

oni_666 said:
Best thing about that suit at that convention, is the fact that until you took the mask off nobody could recognise you!

Wow! that girl had long nails, would'nt like those anywhere near my back!

guess you could be forgiven for being a geek, since the combine suit is a good effort, and if you were thinking of a HEV suit, how about getting a set of one piece motor cycle leathers, and adding bits of orange plexiglass or sheet metal to it.

The only thing I've done remotely like your combine suit, is when I was 17 yrs old and studying ninjutsu, I used to train in a local forest (about 10 square miles), in the day and at night and As well as practising my swordmanship with my Katana, I used to practise my stealth and camouflage by concealing myself in trees and bushes a few feet from a well trodden public footpath, the amount of people I have seen that have walked past me, when I've been virtually in full view and barely a few inches away from them.
Oh! and I was also dressed in full ninja garb, black pants, jacket, hood, gauntlets and authentic split toe'd tabi soft sole boots, and the skin around my eyes that was still visible despite wearing the hood was coloured with soot (charcoal powder).
I had a lot of fun, concealing myself from unsuspecting ramblers.

I even happened upon a great addition to my "costume", I was watching a horror film at home one night, and one of the monsters had bright red eyes, but his body was in shadow.
So the following night, I went to a local park, where plenty of people walked through on their way back from one of the village pubs, My addition to the costume was an old pair of sunglasses, with the lenses removed, and 2 red LED'S (light emitting diode) glued to the top of each side, with a switch and battery.
I hid up a tree, and as 6 local teenagers walked beneath the trees that aligned the path, I broke a twig in half, that I was holding, to get their attention, they all looked up at me, as I sat in the middle of this tree, 20 foot up, When I knew I had their undivided attention, I switched on the LED's.
I can only imagine, what they saw.

The silhouette of something, 20 foot up a tree, at 11.30pm, with a half moon illuminating the park, and this something had glowing red "eyes".

I've never heard 6 teenagers, scream so loud, or run so fast before, in my whole life!

Funniest thing I've ever seen.
It was the talk of the village and the local school for months to come, but nobody ever knew it was me, 'til now!

That was nearly 20 years ago though, and my old katana now gathers dust in my loft.
Greatest. Post. EVER! I laughed so hard, because that's exactly what I want to do! You have also given me HILLARIOUS ideas with the LED's. Dude, you're my hero!

pomegranate said:
If "its kinda dumb" is your own secret phrase for 'I'm a total trolling jackass' and 'a waste of time' is your own secret phrase for 'I can only ever respond to creativity with mockery' then yeah, I'm with you 100%, bud.
Oh I'm sorry Mr. Nazi, I guess anyone who doesn't share your opinion is a troll.

Well, saying something like you did is classed as trolling.

Okay, something like this seems to make me hesitate to comment as it makes me seem like a geek, but I AM posting on a videogame forum, so there you go.

In that note: Kind of cool. I remember how I dressed up as a "Scientist With A Crowbar" for Halloween, and refused to elaborate. But good work.

edit: Yah, a hundred posts!

well Dekstar...I've always been a pretty creative person and the LED's on old sunglasses idea was a good idea of mine, I remembered what the horror film was, it was Halloween , the first one, its the part when the kid tells his mum ( Jamie lee curtis) that she scared his friend and he went outta the window, when the mum looks towards the window she see's 2 red glowing eyes looking back at her.

Years later after watching Predator, it reminded me of what I'd done, since in parts of that film the predator is seen to have glowing red eyes too.

This thread reminds me of another time, when I was 17 yrs old or so.

I was heavily into air rilfe shooting and hunting in general, I hunted rabbits mainly, since at the time, I liked a bit of rabbit curry at the weekends and my family had 3 rottweilers who all loved rabbit.

I worked in a leisure complex on a Island just off the coast of North wales, next to the 400+ acres of land that this complex and camping site had, was an Airbase.
My boss allowed me to shoot over most of the Island since he wanted to keep the rabbit population down and also shoot the crows, magpies and seagulls that spread litter around the Island from the skips near the back of the kitchens.

Because I was well interseted in weapons and camouflage at that time, I bought a pair of Dpm British army trousers and Jacket and sewed various lengths of scrim netting to the jacket and trousers and essentially made my own Ghilli suit, for those of you that don't know, A ghilli suit is what Army snipers wear while operating in the "field".

My rifle was a Weihraech HW80 (long barrel) .22 calibre, with integrated silencer, 3-9x X 52 Optima telescopic sight with custom reticle.
It also had a laser sight, mounted on top of the scope, And I had purchased a pair of 2nd Gen Night vision goggles, to aid me in hunting, I'd used a lamp previously, but it scared away the rabbits, in the fields beyond the one I was shooting in,
Where as with the goggles and laser sight I could hunt without being seen.

Anyway one night, about 2am, I was sitting in a bush, scanning the surrounding area, when I happened to see a flashing light, that was in the middle of the airbase, but the light was only visible through the NVG's and not visible to the "naked eye".

I concluded after much thought, that the light had to be Infra red only, But could'nt think why there would be an Infra red light in that exact spot on the Airbase.

After some time, I saw a vehicle approaching the fence, from the airbase side, It was an open topped Land rover, with a driver, and someone standing in the back with a spot light and holding an SLR in their other hand,
They obviously thought I was a terrorist, and not wanting to get shot, I stood up and shouted out that I was only shooting rabbits and My gun was an air rifle.

I must have looked quite a sight, camouflage trousers, jacket and hood, with strips of dirty scrim netting hanging all over the place, holding a rifle, that was also covered in scrim netting and bits of cloth.

The trousers and jacket, I wore, were completly unwashed in maybe 2 years, and dirty with mud, oil, even sheep shit, etc.

Since the smell of aftershave or soap powder is an "alien" smell in a rabbits enviroment, then I wore the ghilli suit since it stank like hell, but would'nt scare the rabbits or other wildlife, Into knowing a "human" was about.

Anyway the Land rover left soon after.

The next morning, I surveyed the area where I'd seen the light coming from, And with the curious "turning up" of the Land rover, I concluded the Infra red light was actually the light from an Active night vision scope, Active being that it uses an Infra red light source to Illuminate an area, My goggles were passive NVG's and thus used ambient light to create an image, Ambient light includes moonlight, stralight or the glow from cities, towns etc.

Since the British army have been using Antiquated (old) gear for decades then this would be a pretty logical conclusion.

Guess I was lucky not to get shot, looking the way I did, at 2am in the morning, but it was all fun, not much fun for the hundreds of rabbits I got for my curries though.

thats cutting it pretty damn close. I'd hate to be confused with an enemy sniper near an army base. You sir have awesome luck

as for the led ninja, that just freaking owns. I previously had dabbled in adding blue leds to the inside of the mask, but as i quickly found out I could'nt see squat

New plan for the eyes, you can get window tint for car windows, in many different colours, buy or steal a small piece of that, cut it to shape and stick it on the outside of the mask.

The thing is 20 years ago, there was none of this Al Quada crap and the IRA were pretty quiet too.
So even though there was still a terrorist threat it was no where near as bad as it is today.
I would'nt even contemplate doing the same thing today, since they tend to shoot first and ask questions later (if you survive) these days.

But I kinda got away with quite a few things back then.

Another time, again with me laying down under a bramble bush, on the middle of this Island, 5 men walked past me, barely 2 feet away, they were'nt hunting rabbits thats for sure, since one of them had a .223 rifle and the other 4 had silenced shotguns, back in those days shotgun silencers were freely available to buy in certain places in the bigger cities, these silencers were about a foot or so long and 2 inches wide, and made the shotgun when fired sound more like the shot from an unsilenced air rifle.

Anyway, since my boss had sheep grazing on the Island, and he'd already told me that some were going "missing", I guessed that these guys were "sheep rustlers", bit of an overkill, if you ask me, but the facts remain that these guys were definately up to no good.

After waiting until the guys had gone in, I went in the opposite direction and circled round back to my caravan, I woke up my boss, and at 4am, we waited for the Police to arrive, subsequently 3 armed police officers turned up in a Black ford sierra and I showed them where I'd seen the guys, We looked but they'd gone already.

I guess if the Airbase sentries had seen them, like they'd seen me, then the guys would have had a less of a chance of getting away without being shot at.

By the way, if you put tape around the back and sides of the LED's, like I did, then you should'nt get blinded by them when you switch them on.

the problem is that there is barely any room for me to set those things up in there. Despite how it may look. that thing is pretty damn tight. As for the tinting, i tried that before too. It just made things difficult. So i just settled on leaving the eye pieces as is. What i should get is some sort of microphone in there linked to some speaker in a shirt pocket or something. Cause right now its almost impossible to understand me with that thing on.

Now that i think about it:

Wear sunglasses underneath the mask, or something. I dunno. They don't need a glow, just to be slightly reflective.

Darken the lines on the mask a little. PLease?

And that ninja story is like the funniest anecdote ever.

I know this thread Is a little old, but I have to put my two cents in…

How did you make that costume that is so cool!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pleased tell me, did you have a real gas mask, and modified it? I do have two or three in my home…

Because me and my friends wonted to go as combine soldiers in the anime convention… Though we do not know how to make the costumes or didn’t have enough time to raise money for somebody to make it for us (the costume store that is).

How much you think they will charge for a costume like that?

The idea was, printing out pictures of different shots of the combines civil protection soldier, and given it to the costume store so they could make it for us…

Do you have a voice changer or combine voice effect (too sownd like a Combine)…?

It isn’t that expensive i ordered the same mask from Bulgaria,
Yeah!

There is only one site "last time i checked" you can find and order,

http://www.shop-centre.net/militaria/sm0091.htm

But you might need a credit card or wire it through western union "thats what i did"

AND IT WAS TOTALY WORTH EVERY PENNY :)

"pick up the can,... now throw it in the trash" "ok you can go"-metro cop city 17

PvtRyan said:
Who wants to go with me to a Star Trek convention? I'll be Spock, you guys can be Captain Kirk!
Thats like asking "Who wants to go to hell with me? I'll be the dumbass, you can be the moron"

Whenever I search for masks on ebay it only gives me fetish gas masks :|

Combine_Trooper said:
It isn’t that expensive i ordered the same mask from Bulgaria,
Yeah!

There is only one site "last time i checked" you can find and order,

http://www.shop-centre.net/militaria/sm0091.htm

But you might need a credit card or wire it through western union "thats what i did"

AND IT WAS TOTALY WORTH EVERY PENNY :)

"pick up the can,... now throw it in the trash" "ok you can go"-metro cop city 17

I was going to report this as being an unnessacary thread dig-up but your intentions pass my test...

*Starts shooting at the guy in the combine suit* :D

bulgarian gasmask approx 16-28 dollars
army vest 30 dollars
black army pants 30 dollars
vinyl duct tape 5 dollars
blue jacket 12 dollars (was on sale)
army boots 30 dollars
thingy on my head maybe 3 dollars worth of copper spray paint and tape.

i just bought these things over a long span of time swapping out parts of my costume for better parts

i paid 28 bucks for my combine mask , like i said before WORTH EVERY PENNY, I will post photos some day, when I finally remember to buy some freaking BATTERIES!!!!! :x

so if i wanted one i would have to make one myself or purchase your one? No other place makes them as of yet?

I took it upon my self to Photochop your pic and lay it on a screenshot....hope ya like it :stare:

81f4e703a21c88b2dd413a0349acd25c0_full.jpg

thank ya for the props....been tryin to brush up on my photoshop skills.....

what size did you get for your bulgarian mask? there seems to be 4 different sizes available

dude, you should go out fer halloween, its a good costume, lol

nice. the metro cops certainly are the coolest looking combine.

next one i do will be an elite, i'll have to make the helmet out of scratch

!help!

well, i read the whole eleven pages but i didn't get what i wanted, i was hoping to see a link leading to an HEV suit, but, i didn't see one, since this is an old thread, i have to ask like some others did, Has anyone seen a picture of a homemade HEV suit? please tell.

Back