Halflife2.net Tournament - Match guidelines and rules

The Brick

Reaction score
This guide is intended to cover the basic rules and guidelines for the Halflife2.net L4D tournament.

1. Guidelines to a proper match.
2. Finding a server.
3. Rules.
4. Recording and uploading demos.
5. In game connection troubles

1. Guidelines to a proper match

All matches are required to be played within a given time period. Team leaders should contact their opponent's team leader as soon as possible to arrange a date and time. Keep in mind the possible timezone differences. When proposing a time, always include the timezone (GMT is recommended). Always check your team members' availability before settling on a date. In case you can't agree on a date and time because of unavailability, contact Hectic Glenn to report this. Look for other players that can jump in to replace your unavailable player for that match. Only one substitute is allowed, and only with Glenn's permission.

On the day of the match, be sure to remind your team about the match that day. In case you can't play on the arranged date, for whatever reason, contact the opponent as soon as possible to discuss a new date and time.

2. Finding a server

Selecting a server for the match can be done in a few ways. The simplest way is for everyone to get into a lobby with SERVER TYPE: set to Official Dedicated, selecting teams and map and starting the game. This might lead to problems such as high pings or being connected to unofficial servers (in case it can't find an official one). If the latter occurs, call a vote to return to lobby and try again. It is required to play on an official server to rule out altered server configurations or gameplay changing plugins.

A different way is to search for a good official dedicated server using the server browser. To open the server browser, open the console and enter openserverbrowser. When you find a server that everyone has a good ping on and doesn't seem to lag, you can either give everyone the IP address, which can be found using the status command in the console, and call a vote to restart when everyone is in the server and in the right team. This can be a clumsy process. An easier way is for everyone to get into a lobby. The lobby leader will need to enter the following commands in his console. sv_cheats 1 and ms_force_dedicated_server xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:xxxxx with the correct IP address. When you start the game, you will connect to that specific server and it will be set to the right map and correct teams.

A third way is to use a personal dedicated server, granted that it uses the default configuration and no server plugins. This is done in the same way as the previous option (see above). Though players will need to enter the password if the server is password protected.

However you acquire the server, both teams have to explicitly agree on using the server before the match is started.

3. Rules

The rules for this tournament are based on common sense. Common sense still applies to all things that are not stated in the rules. Therefore "But the rules don't say it's not allowed!" is not a valid excuse.
  1. No cheats/hacks. Obviously.
  2. No custom models that give you any type of advantage to other players.
  3. No exploits allowed. Not even the ones no one knows about. An exploit is defined as anything that gives you or your team an advantage that was not meant to be part of the game.
  4. No scripts allowed that give you the edge over players that doesn't use such a script (fast melee, fast pistol fire, etc).
  5. Use of an external communication program (Teamspeak, Ventrilo, etc) is allowed.
  6. Matches may not be played on servers with altered configurations or using server plugins. Any match played on such a server will be voided.
  7. All matches should be played until the very end, even when one team has already secured a victory.
  8. Every match report must be accompanied with a screenshot of the final score, whether it be attached to the post or uploaded to a site doesn't matter. [example]

If rules are broken, play out the match anyway. When reporting the match score and screenshot, include a dispute about the broken rule(s) with an explanation and optionally a screenshot. We will investigate this and request demos if need be. If a team/player is found to have broken the rules, the match result will be overturned into a 8000:0 win for the opposing team.

4. Recording and uploading demos

Team leaders are required to record a demo of the entire match. They will need to upload it upon request by the tournament leaders (Hectic Glenn, AciD and me).

Recording a demo is easy. When you are in game and the match is about to start, open your console and enter record demoname [example]. Use whatever name you want, as long as it is one word. Press enter. Now you're recording a demo. You won't need to do anything else. The recording stops when the match is over, and it will have created 5 demo files in your lef4dead folder. Each map is a separate demo (this is done automatically). If you want to stop it for whatever reason before the match ends (general purpose), enter stop in the console. For this tournament, it's required you keep recording until the end of the match, so you won't need it.

Important: In case of a disconnect, a deliberate map change (not the progressive map change during the match) or entering the stop command, the recording will stop. To make sure you are recording, enter record demoname in your console again. If everything is right, it should state that "you are already recording a demo." If it starts recording to demoname.dem, that means you weren't recording before.

In case you are requested to upload your demos, make sure you have Winrar and follow these steps:
  • Go to your Steam\steamapps\common\left 4 dead\left4dead folder.
  • There you should encounter 5 demo files. Select these files and rightclick > add to archive.
demofiles.png

• Change the archive name to something understandable and click OK.
winrarname.png

• You should now have a hl2netMatch1.rar file in the same folder as your demo files. It will probably weigh between 30mb and 40mb. Upload this file to FileQube, FileDropper, Rapidshare or something similar. This might take a while.
  • Send the download link in a PM to Hectic Glenn.

5. In game connection troubles

In case a player crashes or drops out because of connection problems, you are supposed to keep playing until the end of the round. If the player doesn't return before the next round, there's an allowed minimum of 5 minutes to wait and/or get a substitute player (from hl2.net). After the 5 minutes, the opposing team can force to continue the game if they really insist. We hope to see good sportsmanship here, though. At least make sure all the players are ready to start playing again.

This rule (play out the round, then 5 minutes to sort it out) also applies if a player suddenly has massive lag or when he's got to take a break for whatever reason.

In case of a server crash, teams will be required to find a new server and start at the chapter in which the crash happened. Don't forget to start a new demo. Play out the match. The final score will be added to the score from the last chapter you had finished before (the demos are used for that). In case the server you started on suddenly turns crap and laggy (but doesn't crash), the same rules apply to finding a new server.

There used to be a bug (I think it's supposed to be fixed now) that caused a timeout at the end of a chapter, when the server was supposed to load the next map. In these situations, the server hasn't crashed, but stops responding for about 40 seconds. Default l4d settings disconnect you from a server if it doesn't respond for longer than 30 seconds. That's why I advise everyone to enter cl_timeout 60 in their consoles. In case the server stops responding, simply wait it out. In case it does disconnect you, find a new server and continue from the chapter that was supposed to load (see above).

That's about it I think. Use this thread for discussions, questions or suggestions about the above.

Good info, all captains make sure you understand these guidelines. Cheers Bricko.

What's the policy on a team member's connection dropping meaning they are unable to continue playing? This obviously creates unfair disadvantage with a reduced Infected team and stupid bots.

Continue play and wait for rejoin?

^ This has been happening to me but lately has stopped.

I'd suggest something along the lines of "Play teh rest of the side out, and when the next round starts, don't start until player rejoins or a replacement is found"

It's a tough one. Either what pitz says, or require both teams to just stop playing and camp a corner and melee spam for 7 minutes max (waiting for the player, another 3 minutes if they have to get a substitute). AciD and I have been trying to find a good solution for this, but all the things we tried messed the scores up or simply didn't work well. It'd be perfect if there's servers we can use with sv_pausable 1. On those you can pause the game with the numlock key.

Just stop playing/camp is the fairest way, but the hardest to enforce, and it might be disadvantageous for the survivors. Anyone with good ideas?

Forcing the survivors to 'corner camp' for a period of time will A.) Create some boredom and B.) zombies have a chance at landing a hit or two now and then. Shit happens, I agree, but unless they crash at the very start *Then the survivors can just go back to the saferoom and easily prevent any sort of zombie hit happening...it wont' affect the scores too much I'd assume to just play out the rest of the round.

I'm gonna have to agree. Unless there's someone with a better idea, it will be required to keep playing until the end of the round. If the player doesn't return before the next round, there's an allowed minimum of 5 minutes to wait and/or get a substitute player (from hl2.net). After the 5 minutes, the opposing team can force to continue the game if they really insist. We hope to see good sportsmanship here, though. At least make sure all the players are ready to start playing again.

I believe corner camping is fine in a horde rush or something like that, but when it comes to crescendo's and the finale...I don't imagine would be something good to do. Just a hunch.

Wait... is that Survivor corner-clipping exploit by the bed on NM4 crescendo allowed? They practically merge into eachother.

Oh yeah, tanks are such common occurences during finale and crescendo hordes. It's not exactly hard to leave the corner by the time the tank shows up. My team will not be corner camping, and I hope Hool will agree not to as well.

Oh yeah, tanks are such common occurences during finale and crescendo hordes. It's not exactly hard to leave the corner by the time the tank shows up. My team will not be corner camping, and I hope Hool will agree not to as well.

There is a tactic that I read that is quite funny but I only think works on the Tank AI. The Tank will solely focus on one guy so you can corner camp and spam it to death. Sure one person will get beat up but you will just waste 1 med pack. :naughty:

Yeah, that used to work with actual players as tank too, but since they fixed it so you can hit multiple survivors at once, it's now the most retarded tactic ever devised.

Whatever double post, I need to sort some shit out.

THE TIME I WOULD LIKE FOR MY TEAM, THE CRIMEBUSTERS, TO PLAY AND WHICH APPEARS TO BE THE BEST OPTION IS: TUESDAY THE 22ND AT 7:15 EST (12:15 GMT?)

I'm fairly sure that works with everyone on my team, though I'm not positive about Reginald. This is close to the time that Hool said would work with his team earlier, I hope this one still can. I'm seriously tired of messaging every individual person over again and finding out things one bit of information at a time every day or so.

Whatever double post, I need to sort some shit out.

THE TIME I WOULD LIKE FOR MY TEAM, THE CRIMEBUSTERS, TO PLAY AND WHICH APPEARS TO BE THE BEST OPTION IS: TUESDAY THE 22ND AT 7:15 EST (12:15 GMT?)

I'm fairly sure that works with everyone on my team, though I'm not positive about Reginald. This is close to the time that Hool said would work with his team earlier, I hope this one still can. I'm seriously tired of messaging every individual person over again and finding out things one bit of information at a time every day or so.

I will leave the pub at 12. I will be home at 12:15-ish. As soon as I get home I will get on the compooter.

God, I suck at timezones and dates. Reginald, could you play at 11:00? I don't know if tonight can work, Xevrex is the person that I don't know will see this. Or if tonight will work for him.

We can still tuesday or wednesday, it would be more ideal as of right now.

God, I suck at timezones and dates. Reginald, could you play at 11:00? I don't know if tonight can work, Xevrex is the person that I don't know will see this. Or if tonight will work for him.

We can still tuesday or wednesday, it would be more ideal as of right now.

Christ, you do suck at timezones. Hope you're better at L4D :p

But I know you're good after all the practice we've been doing, amirite?

And like I told you, I'm good for any day but Tuesdays.

Yo Koola, me and my team are ready for the match on Teusday 7:00PM GMT. I've also sent you a PM. Let me know mate if you & your team are available then. Cheers.

We're trying to get in our game, and all of a sudden, *WHAM* Steam servers are down for maintenance and we get dropped from the lobby.

AWESOME.

That was ****in' A.

Glad we won. I reckon the demo files have been destroyed by Steam maintenance, but at least we won, eh team *RAPE*?

Just our luck that. Thanks Valve couldn't you have done that 10mins before.
lol, were the screenshots destroyed by the Steam maintenance aswell?

Left 4 FAIL

crying_baby.jpg

*It's good to know TF2 updated though. Another +1 for Valve.

The-Simpsons---D-oh--Mini-Posters-71133.jpg

I thought it was today, some people thought it was tomorrow though. I did post an announcement though in my group. :LOL: *Argh it's my fault actually. He set it for Tuesday. TOMORROW SAME TIME.

Tomorrow, 1 hour later. I can't make 11pm tomorrow. I'll be around at about 12:15.

What the **** guys... what time did you play today?

Edit: It's my understanding that Reginald would like the game tomorrow to start an hour later than the one today did. I'm confused as shit.

Back