Halo 3

I found it kind of odd how the IGN review goes on and on about how the gameplay has maybe two flaws, and then gives it a solid 9.0.

But I won't lose any sleep over it. To me the scores and reviews are nothing more than affirmation that the game is in fact good.

Dammit...I was going to completely resist buying this game until I saw the Forge feature. This will finally let my friends and I play Halo 3 in a manner that requires skill and not base it completely around weapon control.

excellent review, just finished watching gamespot one.... beautiful.

Both Gamespot and IGN have great video reviews. I am somewhat concerned about the single player, but that is FAR overshadowed by my excitment for the multiplayer and Forge.

In the reviews I've read, they claim that Halo 3 has a pretty decent story, which surprised me. I'm not sure I can believe that, after what I've heard about the previous Halos.

Well, I'm sold. The reviews sound good (little dissapointing about campaign, but atleast it sounds better than 2) and damn did those multiplayer videos look fun. The weapon balance seems spot on for most things, and the maps look great.
The Guardian video is my favorite, that level looks completely badass.
Agreed, great to see that intimate 2v2 matches can still be alot of fun, that can't be said of many shooters. That guy was a pretty excellent player, too... (man, I just remembered how much I'm going to get my ass handed to me)

That IGN review was a little annoying, but only because of the guy's voice. They tried to construct this ridiculously epic introduction and then soiled it by having some whiny nerd crooning "Halo 3 is friggin' awesome you guuuyyyyssss!"

:LOL: So I wasn't the only person that thought this

D:

I think I amazed myself. A friend at school got me playing Halo again. So now I've once again beaten both and pre-ordered Halo 3. You person a few before me, Halo does have a very rich story. enough so, that 5 books spawned from it.. :D (P.S. I'm getting legendary.. P.S.S Typing still sucks.)

The fact that five books were written about the story doesn't comment on the quality of the game's story, just on the game's popularity and success :p it's what we call a spin-off...

Halo's story isn't amazingly deep or complex, but it gets the job done better than most games.

Preordered the Collector's edition, getting it at midnight tonight \o/ (8am class tomorrow, ugh)

I think I amazed myself. A friend at school got me playing Halo again. So now I've once again beaten both and pre-ordered Halo 3. You person a few before me, Halo does have a very rich story. enough so, that 5 books spawned from it.. :D (P.S. I'm getting legendary.. P.S.S Typing still sucks.)

There are 5 books? I only knew of 4.

The Fall of Reach
The Flood (just a retelling of Halo 1's story by some other author)
First Stike
The Ghosts of Onyx

What's the 5th and is it written by Eric Nylund or somebody else?

Either a typo, or he's talking about the graphic novels (only one of which has been released).

I wish it was out in the UK tomorrow. I've got **** all to do on a Tuesday which means it's going to go by dead slow. I want to play Forge now! :(

Already arranged a 4 v 4 system link party for friday. Food, beer and lots and lots of new Halo goodness to get through. I'm going to spend the next few days making some really balanced maps, aka, I'm putting the sniper in a really hard place to get to, or just taking it out in general. Mainly because a few of the lads that are going to be there aren't 360/Halo owners, and I know they'll get destroyed by the more hardcore mates, so I've got to seriously revamp some games and damn am I looking forward to editing it all!

Another book is coming out soon, Contact Harvest. There's two comics the graphic novel anthology and Uprising.

I'll be getting Halo 3 tomorrow straight after school. Going over a friends house to play some nice 4 player co-op.

Aww boo, Contact Harvest is being written by some Bungie guy and not Eric Nylund.

Halo's story isn't amazingly deep or complex, but it gets the job done better than most games.

Preordered the Collector's edition, getting it at midnight tonight \o/ (8am class tomorrow, ugh)
I hate you Dave.

Die.

Some of the voice acting could be improved, and some of the CGI looked... well, you know, really blatent and kind of tacked on CGI, but it was still a really good watch. I don't understand why the film companies backed out of the Halo movie. It's so obviously going to make millions.

Some of the voice acting could be improved, and some of the CGI looked... well, you know, really blatent and kind of tacked on CGI, but it was still a really good watch. I don't understand why the film companies backed out of the Halo movie. It's so obviously going to make millions.

They would have to heavily modify the halo 2 story line because it sucked balls. or, because Halo 3 clarifys halo 2's story line, combine the story of 2 and 3

Halo 2's storyline didn't suck. The problem was the delivery in the game itself. If you pay very, very close attention to the cutscenes (and I downloaded a montage of all the Halo 2 cutscenes), it turns out that the story is actually fairly complex and logical. It's just that after Halo 1, Bungie developed a habit of delivering critical story information as single-sentence offhand statements.

[edit] And I decided not to pick the game up at midnight tonight (obviously :p). I need my sleep, I worked for four hours tonight, and there were only 20-odd people waiting in line when I got there, so I'm clearly going to be able to pick it up during my break at college tomorrow.

Halo 2's storyline didn't suck. The problem was the delivery in the game itself. If you pay very, very close attention to the cutscenes (and I downloaded a montage of all the Halo 2 cutscenes), it turns out that the story is actually fairly complex and logical. It's just that after Halo 1, Bungie developed a habit of delivering critical story information as single-sentence offhand statements.

[edit] And I decided not to pick the game up at midnight tonight (obviously :p). I need my sleep, I worked for four hours tonight, and there were only 20-odd people waiting in line when I got there, so I'm clearly going to be able to pick it up during my break at college tomorrow.

I'm in the same boat. Waiting in line at midnight when I could be sleeping doesn't sound all that grand. Plus, I wouldn't have a chance to play it before going to class tomorrow. So maybe around 3:00 is when I'll pick it up.

I'm waiting on some reviews on here before I pick up my copy tomorrow. Provided, the stores around here get it then...

Don't really go by scores from things like that. I like to hear what individuals have to say.

Yeah, I know what you mean. On the TXB forums though, basically everyone is saying that the game is varying amounts of epic and awesome, so I'm not worried about how the game will be.

Yes, you really picked the most non-biased forum in which to expect positive comments.

Apparently the single player campaign isnt worth the hype, falls short alot of what is/was expected. Its also short, 4-6 hours or so if youre a halo vet.

However, lets face it, you arent REALLY buying this game for the single player, MP is where its at. And as always, its gonna blow us all away.

Nevertheless, in still trying to rush through the Halo2 campaign so i have the story fresh in my mind.

Think ill be diving straight into the MP though tomorrow.

Apparently the single player campaign isnt worth the hype, falls short alot of what is/was expected. Its also short, 4-6 hours or so if youre a halo vet.

However, lets face it, you arent REALLY buying this game for the single player, MP is where its at. And as always, its gonna blow us all away.

Nevertheless, in still trying to rush through the Halo2 campaign so i have the story fresh in my mind.

Think ill be diving straight into the MP though tomorrow.

The 4-6 hours reports are from people who played 4-player co-op. Most people are clocking in at 10-12 hours on Heroic.

I hear between 8-12 hours for the single-player game on Heroic, and on Legendary, who knows how long.

Don't really go by scores from things like that. I like to hear what individuals have to say.

I get what you mean, but it still seems like a funny thing for anyone to say because it sounds like "I don't believe in statistics" which is like saying "The Earth is flat"

Yes, you really picked the most non-biased forum in which to expect positive comments.
:LOL: Don't worry, I filter out the dumbasses and the fanboys.

The 4-6 hours reports are from people who played 4-player co-op. Most people are clocking in at 10-12 hours on Heroic.
Actually, most of the people who say it's 4-6 hours are the ones who play on easy/normal. Heroic and Legendary are more difficult, give the enemies better AI, and add more encounters.

Anybody started playing? I guess you guys either don't have it yet or are still ingame :D

Been playing for the better part of the day, so here's a bit of feedback for those who've been asking what individuals had to say about it.

Core Gameplay: Relatively unchanged, but with enough tweaks and additions to make it feel fresh. Some welcome changes here and there, but for the most part it's the same old Halo.

Graphics: Good enough. Some ugly textures and sub-par shading in parts is made up for by some spot on effects and lighting. Plus the frame-rate is top notch 99% of the time.

Campaign: (keeping in mind I'm only on mission 7 of 9) Good, but not mind-blowing. At the very least, it's alot more engaging than Halo 2's campaign. It's much more varied from level to level, and the combat flows from tight indoor areas to grand outdoor scenes quite fluidly, so you never really find yourself getting tired of any particular part. That said, at it's worst it can be a bit repetitive, as in parts it'll have you do a fair amount of backtracking, but it's not frequent enough to be too frustrating. Story is good, but again not a massive departure from the previous titles. Cut-scenes range anywhere from somewhat bland to truly spectacular.

Campaign Coop: M-m-m-m-m-m-monster fun :bounce: :bounce:

Unbalanced as shite with 4 players, but once you start playing you'll quickly lose the will to care.

Competitive Multiplayer: Good so far. Weapons seem to be balanced very nicely and the maps are great for the most part. Haven't played enough to say much more than that, but it seems as though any fan of Halo 2's multi will be satisfied with this, and maybe then some.

Extras: Replay editor is awesome and a great way to kill a half hour here and there. Haven't tried the Forge yet.

Final Verdict: If you're a fan of the series, go get it. If you're on the fence, I'd say give it a go, as long as you have an XBL Gold account (conveniently enough, there's a 48 hour trial in the box... or atleast there was in mine). However, if you didn't care for the previous games, this isn't the one that's going to change your mind. As I said, at it's core, it's still Halo.

Edit - Oh! One thing I forgot about multiplayer - the latency is GREAT! And given my location, I tend to notice these things more than some :E

1433360467_826ec5daa1_o.jpg

:D:D

New trailer:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjhSp7xGsMc[/YOUTUBE]

Back