Hammer - Mod tool?

NiteStalker

Reaction score
How can the new Valve Hammer be a mod tool? What would make moding easier with it?
Valve sais it's a mod and map tool...

yes, but you can probably also use it to script, create animations and maybe even models.

Didn't know you could make models with it, I thought it was map-only. (Can't wait to see the HL2 SDK)

Its probbably gonna be like UnrealEd...where you can script make the mod make maps and everything in one handy tool :D

I don't know about that... From the screenshots, it still looks like just a mapping program. We will see though.

Originally posted by Sniper
Didn't know you could make models with it, I thought it was map-only. (Can't wait to see the HL2 SDK)

woo, you're jumping to conclusions here, I don't want to spread around false rumours (sp?). I said MAYBE models.

but after thinking about it, that wouldn't make any sense, because that's what they use XSI for.

but after thinking about it, that wouldn't make any sense, because that's what they use XSI for.

yeah but how many companys use their own map editor (that is shipped with their game) to make their game???

precisely.

*nods*

Hey, your a hydra now? They got some cool names for the creatures :D

In the Gamespot interview they say that Hammer and SoftImage XSI are integrated, so world geometry from Hammer can be moved into SoftImage tweaked and moved back into hammer and it won't lose anything. They are also working with SoftImage to release a special version of tools for HL modders. Hopefully they will have more info on it in August when they will have the MOD conference for HL2 (where they will release the SDK).

They've also changed how sounds are handled so changing sounds requires "no coding", and sounding is easily scripted through "SoundScape". This may be integrated in Hammer. They gave an example of having certain sounds or music get louder as the player approaches something that is important.

are you guys still talking about the hammer 3.4 which was realeased some time in the late 2001?? or is there a new one for hl2

if it is still uses the hammer 3.4 can some one tell me where i could get the sdk for hl2 and how big it is

ps i think ppl use milkshape 3D or 3Dmax to make hl models and not hammer :)

Originally posted by kawai
if it is still uses the hammer 3.4 can some one tell me where i could get the sdk for hl2 and how big it is

The hl2 SDK is not released yet. You will have to wait. :(

-FishY

HL2 will be shipped with the new hammer. But I heard the SDK was going to be released before the game, so maybe it's going to be released before the game too.

Originally posted by kawai
are you guys still talking about the hammer 3.4 which was realeased some time in the late 2001?? or is there a new one for hl2

ps i think ppl use milkshape 3D or 3Dmax to make hl models and not hammer :)

idiot child.

do you think we dont know that???
did you NOT READ the posts before you???
when was hl2 released????

:flame:

Originally posted by mrBadger
idiot child.

do you think we dont know that???
did you NOT READ the posts before you???
when was hl2 released????

:flame:

Hey! Don't be so darn aggressive. For all we know he may have suddenly stumbled across this forum, found out there was a HL2 (not everyone gets magazines or reads news-sites) and found this post in the forum.

Why don't you think before you attempt to flame? :) :) :E

sorry , lol, mayb i was just a little agressive, lol , but still, at least read what has been posted before!

As all mappers know there are entities in Hammer, and they look like a one coloured box.
In the new Hammer they actually look like 3d models, not the ones from the game, but you can see if it's a weapon, man or whatever it is.

i can only hope that the SDK looks as much like the origanal, as the new hammer looks like the origanal!!! :D hurrah, laziness, lol, nah as ppl have said before, Valve's excellently commented code was a pleasure to work with and the Hammer editor was simply great (apart from the compile tools, lol)

Back