Harry Potter reviews SPOILER-FREE!

The Monkey

The Freeman
Reaction score
This is the place to discuss and review the latest book, without spoilers. You can rate it, tell which parts were good/bad, and generally how you feel about the book and/or the series.

Pretty good end to the series.

The end was generic, and the final showdown was anti climatic, but the build up was very good.
The book remained interesting and well paced throughout.
Lots of plot developments, and lots of things wrapped up well.
Not too many unanswered questions.

9 / 10.
If you're a fan, brilliant read.
If you're not, then stop reading and bugger off :p

I'm amazed that people have finished the book already. How do you read 600 pages in 24 hours?

I'm amazed that people have finished the book already. How do you read 600 pages in 24 hours?
It takes less than 8 hours. My personal best is reading Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (unabridged) in ~2 hrs.

I thought it was pretty fantastic, myself.

The end was generic, and the final showdown was anti climatic, but the build up was very good.

Completely disagreed, I thought it was climatic. Simply because they weren't flinging a dozen spells off of each other in some silly fight doesn't make it anti-climatic.

The 'Bla-Bla' years later sucked though.

Someone read this book in 47 mins and 7 seconds. She's a speed-reader....although I don't know how you can tell if a speed-reader is lying or not!

Took me just under 9 hours to read.

I'm so ashamed ;(

I thought it was pretty fantastic, myself.

Completely disagreed, I thought it was climatic. Simply because they weren't flinging a dozen spells off of each other in some silly fight doesn't make it anti-climatic.

The 'Bla-Bla' years later sucked though.

I agree with you about the end battle and how
Harry bitch slapped Voldemort via conversation just beforehand.

I liked the little bit of insight into the later years at the tail end. After investing myself into 7 books, I wanted a little closure for the characters and this served its purpose.

I agree with you about the end battle and how
Harry bitch slapped Voldemort via conversation just beforehand.

I liked the little bit of insight into the later years at the tail end. After investing myself into 7 books, I wanted a little closure for the characters and this served its purpose.
Fixed ;)

Holy smokes you guys are fast readers. My mom and I have been taking turns reading it. She got to chapter 22 while I was sleeping this morning. I'm on 14 so far. The first 3 chapters are the worst of the series. It introduces you to the fact that many people will die and is very chaotic and frantic. You have a real sense that the one second everybody is laughing, the next your buddy is dead. It starts getting better after the initial shock ends. The Ministry of Magic is like Nazi Germany. Pure bloods=Aryan race

I'm still rereading HBP since I can't remember anything!(previously on Harry Potter kinda thing) But I'm glad to see generally good reviews from HL2 netters so far, mostly because I don't expect the likes of Samon to be fanboys of anything and can count on them to write up a good unbiased review. I was a bit put off by the fact that my bro (who has read upto chapter 6) thinks that the book was so far "very disappointing"...

I never read a single one of these books! I shall pat myself on the back for not jumping on the bandwagon.

*pats self*

:(

I think what really turned me off was when I watched the first movie. Not only did I find the movie itself kinda lame, but I also watched it in spanish, during spanish class, and I thus had very little idea on what was happening. Although the running through the train station pillar thing was kinda cool.

I've been their Krynn. I too watched the first movie beforehand (more like laughed at the movie)...I didn't even want to read the books. But one day I was so bored I decided to borrow the first two books from my cousin and started to read. Within two chapters I was totally hooked. F***ing amazing. You should really, really give those books a read.

BTW where are the next batch of spoiler-free reviews?

Oh crap I have to wait until november. :hmph: I'm gonna read review if they are spoiler free though.

Why wait till November?

I'm at page 244 or so. So far, I think it's pretty great. Constant hangovers aren't helping, though :|

Hmm, prolly gonna have to wait a few months.

I enjoyed it. I'm still flipping through things for bits I didn't fully get the first time or looking for bits of foreshadowing, but it's got a much better pacing than bloody Half-Blood Prince. Shitloads of action scenes. The Epilogue was sucky, but the final battle was pretty awesome. Pity about the shitloads of 'Explain the plot so far, part III' nearing the end, but otherwise I throurougly enjoyed it. 9/10 for fans. 6/10 for non-fans, who won't understand about half of it. (And most will probably hate it on principle.)

i hope hermit or whatever her name is gang rapes harry

This book was absolutely amazing. I just finished it and sacrificed the internet and anything related to the outside world for the past few days while I read the book.

I absolutely loved it and was amazed at how well everything tied together. I JKR did a much better job than I expected and I had doubts throughout the book but it all turned out much better than I thought it would have. This was a perfect ending to the series and the epilogue was a nice read.

though im quite sad...(yes sooooo lame i know)i thought it was a great end to the series, she did a fantastic job and under all that pressure as well...10/10

It wraps up all the loose ends from all the other books and is a great read. If you haven't read the first six, go to the library and check them out. Don't trust the movies to give you the storyline, they leave way too much out.

I never read a single one of these books! I shall pat myself on the back for not jumping on the bandwagon.

*pats self*
Don't play Episode Two, so you can pat yourself on the back again.

I think what really turned me off was when I watched the first movie.
Do yourself a favour, ignore the movies they are crap, read the first two novels and then make up your mind on the series.

I agree with Operational. You aren't cool for ignoring an amazing series. It's your loss.

The movies are also crap, I did like the movies but nothing compares to the books. There is a reason something as nerdy as this is such a huge hit. The books are simply amazing.

I haven't finished it yet, on chapter 31, but it is easily the best of the series IMO. Now that he's an adult we can finally have an adult adventure (as adult as a story about magic and stuff can get)
10/10 so far.

It was a fantastic ending to a fantastic series. It tied together all the loose ends and remained suspenseful and interesting through the whole book.

9/10

Avoided this thread for possible spoilers lol. While I did get spoiled by YTMND about character deaths, those were not really spoilers. I think everybody knew that those characters had to kick the bucket at some time. Yet I did believe a theory (and was true) for a full year on mugglenet they had this theory:
Since Harry acts so weird, and is the only person other than Vold to speak to snakes, he must have a piece of Vold in him. It was thought he was a horcrux for a long time. It was how he would live after being killed to remove the horcrux everybody was confused about. Also everybody knew Snape was good.
The first three chapters were rocky, then smoothed out a little, then became a long camping story. Then a little bit before 3/4 of the way of the book, there was complete action. Then it hit me where the final battle was going to be lol. Overall I would say giving this a 10/10. The epilogue was there to bring a closure. In fact I will quote the last 3 words:
All was well
It just brings comfort. Though many things still are unanswered and so Rowling will make an Encyclopedia covering back plots on people. The original ending was more in detail but she wanted it vague like a dream. There is so much to type here on the HP news that you just have to see it for yourself: http://www.mugglenet.com/ For example, McGonagall retired after the battle. Harry and Ron own the Auror department (must be evil still out there then). Hermione is in the higher ups of law enforcement and Luna and Neville might get together. Also Mr. Weasley was saved by Rowling but
Lupin and Tonks died instead
Also the gang basically created a new order and government instead of the bleak nazi like future if you-know-who won. *Oh yeah if you have any Q's you should ask them here. I probably have an answer for it.

I only just picked it up the other day and read like 25 pages before I got tired and went to sleep. Haven't looked at it since. Are you guys saying that you read for eight or nine hours straight until you finished it? Sheesh.

I don't read all that often, and when I do, I tend to read kind of slow because I hate it when I forget stuff, so if I've finished it in the next couple weeks, I'll post what I thought. :)

Page 300, w00t!

Damn, I read slowly!

w00t w00t.

I picked it up again from my position at page 25 last night and did some reading today. I dunno what page I'm on, but I'm about a fourth of the way through the book.

9.5/10

Finally finished it. All I can say is I am completely satisfied with this great finale. JKR, I salute you.

But the names of people at the very end were atrocious! I can see the reasoning behind them but still....urgh.

Back