Hats For Help Raises Over $300,000 and Counting

Hectic Glenn

Site Director
Staff member
Reaction score
Well what an incredible response from the TF2 community. According to the TF2 blog $300,000 has been raised so far, with the items remaining for donations until the 6th April.
Take a BOW, TF2 community -- because that is an incredible, frankly astounding, amount of money from a dedicated number of gamers, to one heck of a lot of people in some real need right now. Anytime someone gives you guff about something negative in gaming, you go ahead and point them to this post, because here's some late-breaking damn news: they are wrong and gamers are generous and awesome.
All funds from these items go to the Japanese disaster relief fund set up by the American Red Cross.

"but dude valve is teh evil cuz they made ze hatz and sell them instead of maeking episode3!!!"

Go valve. I think the hats and the store just earned their right to exist.

As long as I can get the same stuff through random drops I have no problem with the store. And if they use the store to raise funds to help those in need, all the better.

Just gave some earlier today, glad to see there's plenty more.

Seen lot of these hats in game, all three. Good to see they've been so successful.

Holy shit.

I would've brought a hat but I've donated like $50 via uni events. UQ is a partner of Fukushima University so they went all out on the fundraisers.

Agreed. They should do more like this in the future.

I'm going to go buy one of the hats later today, I feel I should probably contribute.

As long as I can get the same stuff through random drops I have no problem with the store. And if they use the store to raise funds to help those in need, all the better.

Nothing against Valve, they had a great idea on how to tap into the community's generosity, but this idea cost them little. I suppose they invested some time in designing the hats, and probably some of the proceeds might otherwise have been spent on other Valve products, but I think (and I'm sure Valve would agree) that most of the credit should go to the people who bought these hats.

The thanks go to Valve because they put them up in the first place. People are praising Valve for the idea, not for the actual purchasing of the hats.

Back