Have you guys seen this?

blahblahblah said:
I'm sure that was just a broad generalization you just committed. But that is alright, because you are an atheist/agnostic and you are allowed to make such generalizations.

you're twisting my words. My little jab was at the expense of the president not religion. I pointed to the textbook example because it illustrates the implementation of bush's conservative moral based policies at work. Indirectly of course ...bush's victory gave a carte blanche for a resurgeance of religious intolerance in the united states

blahblahblah said:
As a Christians I've been told I can voice my opinion except I'm supposed to ignore my beliefs and religious ideas when anything remotely challeneging to my beliefs comes along.

I fail to see how same sex marriage is a "challenge" to your belief system. You are entitled to have your beliefs even if they are "wrong". ie: the discrimination of a segment of society. I draw the line at when you try to impose your viewpoint on others. Even if it is by popular vote it still doesnt make it right ..need I remind you about segregation, the national guard and Little rock arkansas circa 1957. (you're an intelligent fellow, think laterally: religion wasnt responsible for segregation but the crime is the same; legislating hate

Look I dont care what your religion does, so long as it doesnt interfere with somone elses right to do what they want with their lives.

blahblahblah said:
I love how how you preach your freedoms. You can be free as long as you are willing to support these follwing beliefs...

no, "do what you want, so long as it doesnt deter me from doing what I want". In other words: I will not live by your moral values

blahblahblah said:
Would you call yourself a bigot towards Christians?

no I was born a catholic, I understand the religion

blahblahblah said:
Since you've been on this forum, you have called my religion "extreme like the Taliban" and generally mocked my religion.

you misquote me. I was speculating on the reaction of an afghani when discovering his country was being over run by fundamentalists. I dont remember saying that about your religion.

blahblahblah said:
Way to be so open minded. Wait, being open minded is only correct when considering non-religious beliefs.

so long as the religion doesnt infringe on anyones rights I dont care what it does

CptStern said:
you're twisting my words. My little jab was at the expense of the president not religion. I pointed to the textbook example because it illustrates the implementation of bush's conservative moral based policies at work. Indirectly of course ...bush's victory gave a carte blanche for a resurgeance of religious intolerance in the united states

Excuse me, your first example was a picture of all the states that voted republican as 'Jesusland'. Regardless of the fact that nobody has any firm conclusions on why Bush won. Did you know that more democrats voted for Bush than expected? Or latinos? Or Catholics?

I fail to see how same sex marriage is a "challenge" to your belief system. You are entitled to have your beliefs even if they are "wrong". ie: the discrimination of a segment of society. I draw the line at when you try to impose your viewpoint on others. Even if it is by popular vote it still doesnt make it right ..need I remind you about segregation, the national guard and Little rock arkansas circa 1957. (you're an intelligent fellow, think laterally: religion wasnt responsible for segregation but the crime is the same; legislating hate

What about evolution? I don't believe in it yet, I was forced to learn it. Isn't that forcing some other belief system on to my own? Technically, evolution is labeled as a science even though it is constantly changing and is challenging to my belief system. That is pressing other viewpoints onto me (that I don't believe in), but nobody cares.

Then there is the issue of naming gay marriage as marriage. Many Christians wouldn't mind as much if it was called a civil union. However, you and other people demand that gay unions be called marriage because it is the right thing to do. Regardless of the fact it is offending another group (Christians). Then again, religious groups don't matter in your opinion.

It doesn't make it any more right to force your opinions and beliefs onto others.

no, "do what you want, so long as it doesnt deter me from doing what I want". In other words: I will not live by your moral values

However, I must live by your moral values that you can set in the government?

no I was born a catholic, I understand the religion

You understand religion because you went to church when you were a child? Religion is a lot more than you understand.

you misquote me. I was speculating on the reaction of an afghani when discovering his country was being over run by fundamentalists. I dont remember saying that about your religion.

I'm digging this quote up for proof.

http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showpost.php?p=566013&postcount=98

blahblahblah said:
Excuse me, your first example was a picture of all the states that voted republican as 'Jesusland'. Regardless of the fact that nobody has any firm conclusions on why Bush won. Did you know that more democrats voted for Bush than expected? Or latinos? Or Catholics?

the map is called Jesusland, it's a joke ...it's a sarcastic image poking fun at the fact that the religious vote decided the election. I didnt create it, I dont think it's at all accurate but we shouldnt even be having this discussion because anyone can plainly see from reading my post that I was being sarcastic

blahblahblah said:
What about evolution? I don't believe in it yet, I was forced to learn it. Isn't that forcing some other belief system on to my own? Technically, evolution is labeled as a science even though it is constantly changing and is challenging to my belief system. That is pressing other viewpoints onto me (that I don't believe in), but nobody cares.

so if you didnt believe in the principals of mathematics you dont think you should forced to learn them? No one is forcing you to go to a public school ...go to a christian school if you want to learn creationism because a public school is not set up that way

blahblahblah said:
Then there is the issue of naming gay marriage as marriage. Many Christians wouldn't mind as much if it was called a civil union. However, you and other people demand that gay unions be called marriage because it is the right thing to do. Regardless of the fact it is offending another group (Christians). Then again, religious groups don't matter in your opinion.

your right in this instance every religious group doesnt matter ...CHRISTIANITY DOES NOT HAVE A MONOPOLY ON MARRIAGE!!!! So should I annul my marriage and call it a civil union because I wasnt married in front of god? Boy will the wife (sorry: lifemate, partner, opposite-sex partner) be pissed when I tell her we're not married

blahblahblah said:
It doesn't make it any more right to force your opinions and beliefs onto others.

what? I am not enforcing my beliefs! I am standing up for what is in essence discrimination

blahblahblah said:
However, I must live by your moral values that you can set in the government?

my moral values? the government hardly represents my moral values ...look, you want to live in a secular society, you have to make some sacrifices ..that's what living in a free society is all about. Do whatever you want in the privacy of your own church your own home but dont extend it beyond those confines because it is not welcome in a free society.

blahblahblah said:
You understand religion because you went to church when you were a child? Religion is a lot more than you understand.

no I understand catholicism because I went to a private catholic school for most of school life ..I also studied theology and world religions and was asked to join the priesthood (what were they thinking? :) ) ...dont assume to know me or simplfy my motivations because you're stabbing in the dark here

blahblahblah said:

ah but taken out of context it sounds pretty bad, put that context back and all of the sudden it makes more sense ...of course I said your religion is as extreme as the taliban ..you condemn everyone who doesnt subscribe to your faith to hell: that's extreme ..even catholics dont condomn everyone to hell ...just to purgatory :)

blahblahblah said:
Everybody who is not a practicing Christian (that means believing in Jesus, reading the bible, etc) is a sinner. Since they are not saved, that means they will go to hell. Regardless if you are a homosexual or a regular person, if you are not saved, you will be going to hell.

that's extreme

Back