hazard course?

-Biohazard

Reaction score
when i first installed HL i noticed the hazard course training. and while i was playing it i thought it was pretty cool for just training. i wonder what it would be like for hl2......or even if it would have one...........just a thought

I don't see why it wouldn't have a Hazard Course.... After all, with a new engine, maybe there's more things you can do that a Hazard Course can prepare you for...

Heh, I love doing all the training stuff like Hazard Courses and Basic Training in Op4. I hope (well there should be) some sort of training thing like that in HL2

Only makes sense. Not everyone will have played HL1 or its add-ons/mods, so there needs to be a tutorial. Valve have pretty much said they are sticking with the same controls (or at least the same 'movement') of HL1. So there's probably not too much for us to learn, but I'll probably play it just to get my feet wet.

I asked Gabe but he didn't reply. I think they will have one beucase they said the game should be playable to newbies who didn't play HL1 as well. Although I don't know how they will fit it into the story like HL1 did.

Gabe alreaady announced in a previous interview that even if the player has never played HL1 then its still ok and will learn eveything from HL1 by playing and beating HL2. So yeah its not big deal and about the moving and stuff, that will most likely be the same except for the speed reduction...and im positive there will be a tutorial.

The tutorial i hated was Americas Army, matter of fact i hate that game anyways.

Yeah have a hazard course showing you how to interact with the new physics and all

I'm sure valve will do something similar for HL2. I also like the way the training is optional unlike in some games.

Yeah, a lesson in how to use the Manipulator might be useful, but that would kinda presuppose that you have it from the beginning rather than it being engineered by Eli in the lab, or picking it up as a piece of alien technology. Dunno.
:upstare:

<Voice of hologram Gina> At times you may need to knock stuff over. Simply walk into it and watch it fall. Try it now.
*clunk*
Good work! Remember, this move can come in very handy when you are unable to locate a pachinko machine.

Well, the original hazard course was like, teaching Gordon Freeman how to use his HEV suit, and happens when he signs up for work at the BMRF.

Gabe said that the game starts just when the first one ended, meaning gordon was like, out of it, since talking to the big G.

So I don't see how a hazard course fits in there.

My speculation?

Same hazard course, for movement it covers everything. And physics dont need to be learnt, it's not high school physics, its liek real world, you knwo it since you were born :|

EDIT: Actually they can stick one as part of the game, part of the plot, just like in MDK2, when the comp teaches dr hawkins to do stuff with his toaster.

They should include tech demo levels into part of a hazard course and have that fishing rod gravity weapon there if its not in the game itsself game.

Surely it wouldnt do any harm.

Maybe there is a rehab course when you wake up in the hospital... if you wake up in the hospital...

Edit: 100 posts!
It took ~2 months but I finally made it!

Originally posted by MoD
Well, the original hazard course was like, teaching Gordon Freeman how to use his HEV suit, and happens when he signs up for work at the BMRF.

Gabe said that the game starts just when the first one ended, meaning gordon was like, out of it, since talking to the big G.

So I don't see how a hazard course fits in there.
I agree. 100%

My speculation?

Gordon has awaken from a Coma. He's in a hospital learning to walk again and stuff with nurses or doctors guiding and instructing him. And since the world is at war with aliens they teach him how to fire a weapon as well.

*edit*
Originally posted by Idolon
Maybe there is a rehab course when you wake up in the hospital... if you wake up in the hostpital...

Yeah exactly like you said a couple seconds earlier than me.

I'm predicting a holographic or vitrual reality representation for training (provided by Alyx and Eli), or just possibly a non threatening environmental obstacle course, and possibly a shooting range.

Originally posted by jasonh1234
Gordon has awaken from a Coma. He's in a hospital learning to walk again and stuff with nurses or doctors guiding and instructing him. And since the world is at war with aliens they teach him how to fire a weapon as well.

Hehehehe.
Mmmmrf.

Hahaha!-
sorry. I just got the image of young nurses carting old men in wheel chairs over to a shooting range and arming them with rifles. "Now that you've learned how to feed yourself again, we're going to teach you how to fire a Kalashnikov AK-47."

Well the hazard course was always usefull for quickly testing ur settings when u change em, the first map loaded real fast u see.

That and it would be a nice thing to start the experience with.

¬ Lobster

Maybe the G-man can give you like a freakishly odd training exam. Kinda like a "its been a long time mr. freeman, time to brush up on ur skills" kinda thing. idk its 1 in the morning, im an idiot. could work though

Maybe it'll be in the form of a flashback into an advanced Black Mesa course? Or just a hazard course the resistance/G-man set up. Either way it'll be a really cool way to get into the feel of the game, as was the first one.

i also wonder how it will be implemented into the story. i could think of that one of your allied soldier wants to "show you the city" or something like that and than "follow me...try to jump on the box..."and so on.
i don´t think that they will give you the gravity gun in hazard course, maybe you get a small introduction when you first get the gun within the game.
hope, they will the turorial not as the first level like in B&W. that sucks!!!

yeah I agree, the Hazard course will get you used to everything, so it dosent spoil it when you are figuring out stuff in the real gane :D

I think they could you start out the game the g-man will be there saying somthing like "there is a training area to your left" so that you have the option to run through it at the start when you start single player. That is the best solution i can see.

Pinkerton - genius. A seperate option would be nice, but this seems really smooth. Although it would ruin the idea that you had no idea what had happened inbetween... will our dear dear hazard course make a return?? I sure hope so.

Originally posted by pinkerton
I think they could you start out the game the g-man will be there saying somthing like "there is a training area to your left" so that you have the option to run through it at the start when you start single player. That is the best solution i can see.
Wasn't there something like that in Tomb Raider Chronicles, I think that would be good, although maybe it could be a combination of the waking up from a coma + learning 2 walk + stuff, the G Man showing you and that.
So, at the begining of the SP game, you could wake up from a coma + then the G Man has 2 teach you 2 do the stuff u used 2 do, but you can skip it if you want.

Or the training could be done in the hospital...

killing old people as target practice.. jumping over the beds.. carefully dodging the bed pans..

it could be fun.. until the old people start beating on you with canes.

Back