Headcrab Plush Toy Kit

:D I'm printing the things off now, gonna puzzle over it tonight hehe

luketabor said:
i think Valve would have something to say about that...

Well this post originally started on steam forums and had over 21000 views, 300 posts before they decided to delete the whole thread and any others that appeared afterwards.
Either valve are going to release merchandise like this officially or they just dont like people doing things for themselves.
I would rather make my own headcrab because it then becomes a personal project, than to have to purchase something that will probably have a beanie baby tag attached to it, and suffocation warnings plastered al over it.

My mum's been sewing stuffed toys like this for 20 years.

I'm gonna give her this pattern and see what she thinks...

Brian Damage said:
My mum's been sewing stuffed toys like this for 20 years.

I'm gonna give her this pattern and see what she thinks...

Same here, my mum is always making stuffed toys, or doing some kind of knitting/sewing. Already shown her the plan and the pieces, just need to sort out fabrics

Okay, she says:

A. What you've managed to do is really rather good.
B. The pattern's kinda weird, so she'd have to sit down and study it for a while in order to make one, and,
C. It was actually 30 years. My bad.

thehunter1320 said:
so i just print out the pattern and cut the fabric acordingly?

What i have done was to increase the size of the pattern by about 15% as this will give a more lifesize model.
You will need to mirror the pattern as it is only for half of the crab, and maybe use the original size to make a paper model first to give an idea of how the pieces fit together.

Has anyone got a good picture of a headcrab ingame for colour matching?

White, shading towards pus yellow, with red shading around the legs and mouth.

Brian Damage said:
I want a stuffed Snark. Now THAT would be cute.

I'm working on that model. It may take a few days though.

And also the chumtoad. I'm making some special seams for the red eye and i have the mouth slit open.

I don't suppose a cuddly gordon freeman (complete wth crow bar ;)) is out of the question hehehehe

slashandburn:
can you make a mirrored copy of the PDF files for the 2nd half of the crab of at least tell me how to mirror a PDF file? thanks

thehunter1320 said:
slashandburn:
can you make a mirrored copy of the PDF files for the 2nd half of the crab of at least tell me how to mirror a PDF file? thanks

Check your printer settings. Sometimes it can print in reverse and other things. Or print on a transparancy, then you could just look through the other side.

or just cut out the shape and turn it over to transfer to the cloth (to get reverse).

i've been transferring it one way and cutting folded over cloth. That way I get 2 identical pieces for each side of the crab.

Man, this is awesome - and just when I was trying to decide what to do over holiday break! :D

A snark kit is ready.

http://auburn.edu/~fullemg/mod/SnarkKit.zip

I tried to place all of the seams so that there won't be to many weird angles. I think two corners may be wrong, but they can be fixed by cutting it some more.

And it comes with a size sheet. The sheet is 1/2x1 the size of the finished snark. So if you want to get it the right w/l use it.

slashandburn said:
A snark kit is ready.

I tried to place all of the seams so that there won't be to many weird angles. I think two corners may be wrong, but they can be fixed by cutting it some more.

And it comes with a size sheet. The sheet is 1/2x1 the size of the finished snark. So if you want to get it the right w/l use it.

www.yousendit.com to me? :D

your server never works for me :(

BTW: progress on my head crab
1% (Patterns printed out.)

slashandburn said:
A snark kit is ready.

AWESOME
Will i need to mirror the pieces like i had to for the headcrab?

I have blender but unsure how u extract the files to be opened within it?

DJRedLine said:
AWESOME
Will i need to mirror the pieces like i had to for the headcrab?

I have blender but unsure how u extract the files to be opened within it?

I have some files for you.

I have a file for blender users. It will convert half-life 1 smd's to raw triangle format, which blender can import. The package also includes a mdl decompiler.

You need java to run this.

http://auburn.edu/~fullemg/mod/SMDTORAW.zip

Image of Results
http://auburn.edu/~fullemg/mod/SMDTORAW.jpg

Pic of chumtoad being processed
http://auburn.edu/~fullemg/mod/chumtoad.jpg

To flip the peices, just flip them over.

The snark has been made
http://auburn.edu/~fullemg/mod/snark.jpg

This model is so colplicate dfor being so small. It requires some thought for the legs and a front peice is to large. Work your way from the back to the front.

People really love the idea of plush things, the view counts allways raise so high.

Thx for the SMDTORAW.zip, and your finished snark looks superb (wonder what it would be like with the stitching on the inside though?)

So whats next on the sewing list? maybe a stryder with some form of metal skeleton so it can stand on it's 3 legs

Mad-Larkin said:
not a strider, an antlion or a garg

I would love to do an antlion, but a mdl decompiler hasn't been made for half-life 2 engine games yet.

AHAHAHAA I WANNA MAKE THAT!!!!!!!!!!! nice idea with the hat mate

You rule i having my anut make me one, she been making stuff toys for a long time. But i wondering does headcrab have skin or fur?

dead like fee said:
You rule i having my anut make me one, she been making stuff toys for a long time. But i wondering does headcrab have skin or fur?

Normal headcrabs have a kind of leathery skin (How I imagined it), Fast headcrabs have skin too, but Poison headcrabs have very short fur on their backs.

*Is so gonna get his mum to make him Headcrab plushie*

You rule, mate! I want your headcrab babies!!!

my girlfriend is making me a headcrab, then we are gonna try the snark out. gonna have it in fur methinks, you can't cuddle a leathery thingy in bed.

Mad-Larkin said:
my girlfriend is making me a headcrab, then we are gonna try the snark out. gonna have it in fur methinks, you can't cuddle a leathery thingy in bed.

Heres a tip for the snark. One part is kinda screwed up, so on the biggest part there is a fron triangle protruding foward. you most likely are going to have to cut it in half. I did everything and left that part unfinished almost to the end just to get the idea. I think im going ot update the pattern.

Dude your awesome.. too bad I'm too lazy/scared of needles to do this.

slash that is definitely something i did not expect to see on these forums. Thanks to you though i have something to do over xmas break.

I love the idea of a hat, be interesting on a bus.....

Back