Help. Everything might be broken.

FrostedxB

Tank
Reaction score
So I've put off installing Windows Vista Service Pack 1 for some time now but decided to do it today. It told me to restart to apply the update and the first step went well. However now I'm staring at a black screen that says ! ! 0xc01a001d ! ! 37231/90234 (\Registry\Machine\COMPONENTS\DerivedData...)

It's doing nothing more then randomly flickering. Is this some kind of an error? Am I just panicking over nothing?

did you try turning it off and on again?

it's an IT crowd tv show reference. it wont actually help

the-it-crowd-moss-and-roy.png

So have you tried googling whatever the black/blue screens show?

The error code that you mentioned - 0xc01a001d is an NTSTATUS code with a literal interpretation = STATUS_LOG_FULL and means that the log's size allocation is too small for the output generated or that there is insufficient HDD space available for Windows to write output logs to.

The fact that the registry key HKLM\Components\DerivedData is referenced along with parm 06 = "bad patch" tells me that your OS was somehow modified and Windows Vista security measures have taken over. I'm surprised that 0x80070002 didn't show up here.

If you cannot run system restore successfully nor system repair, your only option is to re-install Vista.

Back