Help me make sense of this dream...

McGooTheWise

Reaction score
I had an awful dream last night. I went to the dream dictionary, and it told me a few things about some of the elements of the dream, but there was so much in it, that I don't know where to start with it. Here it is, though.

I was heading to city museum with friends. On the way, I notice my feet hurting badly. We get inside, and the pain so great I take my shoes off. I see puss dripping, and bleeding sores all over my feet, and open wounds on heels. Gashes almost. A stranger comes up and tells me that it’s cancer, no doctor, no proof, but I believe them. I then try to get back to my truck, but the pain is so great I take a few steps and fall. A friend helps carry me outside, I don't know who it is. I notice a strange man in my truck, trying to steal it. I open the door to try and get him out, and my friend disappears. The man punches me, knocking me to the ground, and puts me in the bed of the truck. I tell him I need to go to the hospital. I look down at my feet, and they are swollen now, blood and puss oozing from the sores.

Then I wake up. Not startled. Not frightened. Creeped out, though.

The part that stuck with me when I woke up was cancer. I went to google, and typed in "Cancer sores on feet". It said that cancer is a sign of a deep rooted problem in one's life. But here's the thing, I had no proof it was cancer. Some stranger said I had cancer, and I believed them with no evidence. I understand what that means, I think. I also looked up sores on feet, and since feet are the foundation of our bodies, it implies there is a problem with the foundation of my life.

Lately I've been going to counseling, and I'm on some neat medicine that makes it so everything isn't black & white, and I can see color, so to speak. We're getting to the roots of my problems, and I'm learning the truth of what has made me so violent, and angry these last few years. It could be that seeing these problems lead to the sores on my feet. I noticed they were hurting me before I knew what the problem was, in reality, and in the dream. What I don't understand is why some stranger told me it was cancer in my dream, why my friend ditched me, why some guy tried to steal my truck, (which I haven't had for months, cause my brother has been working on it), and why the sores got worse.

By the way, while I was dreaming, I could feel the sores. It was completely realistic, and they hurt like hell. The dream lasted a long time in reality, and I walked around for hours in my dream before I decided to go back to my truck. Every second hurt like hell, and I can't figure out why I could feel the sores.

Any thoughts? I don't know where to go with this.

Was your dream Third Person or First Person? I had a Moo'dang (like a.... Korean witch doctor) tell me that my third person dream of my death foretold great sorrow for myself blah blah blah, while my first person dream didn't mean anything. She'd prolly interpret your dream based on perspective, in which case Third Person would prolly mean you're going to get very sick and lose your legs and friends blahblahblah.

Of course, dreams don't mean anything.

-I know things that I didn't know I knew. You do too.

-Dreams are dreams. They can mean anything. Your mind just thinks about things. If you thought about something right now, it might be someone stealing your truck, or it might be something about cancer.

- If you concentrate on something enough, you can feel pain. Hold your hand or foot out for a little while until it gets tired and concentrate on the feeling. Your feet could have been cold, which is fairly uncomfortable. Also, you were probably moving in your dream (which is normal) - maybe they were sore from holding them tense. Maybe you were started to wake up and started to feel it?

I don't know, but, we don't feel pain when we sleep - unless it wakes us up. I suppose you imagined it.

It was first person. I don't think it's predicting anything, just telling me stuff that's going on in my head at the moment. I just want to figure out what.

OK, sorry. I don't think it's as deep as you think. But you can take coincidences and make them mean something, if you want.

But you are you - if you believe in ... or are looking for some kind of meaning, you could have very well been dreaming about something with meaning.

Well, the reason it means something to me is because I very rarely remember my dreams. When I do, something is usually changing for me. I am a very deep thinker, and that probably transfers over into my dream. I think I get it now, though, since your post. Perhaps the sores are related to something, but the thing about my truck... I miss my truck. I'm stuck driving a grand prix, when I was driving a durango with new speakers, big interior, and I'd been driving it for two years, so it probably just plopped into my dream for that reason. The sores getting bigger just follow logic, since I'd been walking around, and my friend ditching me is just for the sake of the dream.

Note to self, don't start threads 5 minutes after waking up from an absurd dream. lol

*reads topic starter talking about browsing dream dictionary and feets being the foundations of our bodies and that is taking some medicine that make him looks colors*

what the ****?

I didn't read the thread, but let me just say that dreams are not symbolic and the random shit that happens in them doesn't happen for any purpose. The brain doesn't work that way.

Like Virus said, sore feet could've just been foot cramps. I tend to be able to feel things in my dreams -- like if I'm conscious enough in the dream to pinch myself, that actually works. And typically if I'm trying to run in a dream, I can't -- likely due to poor blood circulation/numbness in my legs when I sleep.

But most of my dreams are completely like real life, so I don't have to read anything into them. :p

I used to wake up and not see color for a good 20-30 mins it was the weirdest experience. but even my "nightmares" don't scare me anymore. I was with family in one of my latest dreams I could remember and this weird bitch came in and pushed my nephew into a giant rabbit hole and it took me forever to get him out while I was digging through debris and dirt trying to get to him while he was crying. I don't sweat when I dream though, and it may be because I have a fan on in the room to cool me off. but dreams sometimes have meanings, other its just your brain working out stress and problems.

Very few things scare me. I often try to go back to sleep to finish my nightmares. They are like stories after all.

But one thing that gets me is sometimes I have an insanely freaky image pop into my head. Like I'm starting to fall asleep, just thinking about stuff, then BAM.

Unsettling, to say the least. So it's the weird stuff that freaks me out. But I don't know, I get over it quick. Don't like it though. Then I start thinking maybe I should write a horror story and use the imagery for inspiration.

Very few things scare me. I often try to go back to sleep to finish my nightmares. They are like stories after all.

But one thing that gets me is sometimes I have an insanely freaky image pop into my head. Like I'm starting to fall asleep, just thinking about stuff, then BAM.

Unsettling, to say the least. So it's the weird stuff that freaks me out. But I don't know, I get over it quick. Don't like it though. Then I start thinking maybe I should write a horror story and use the imagery for inspiration.

yeah i see like a freaky image or 10 really quick....lets say if i was watching too much violence in one day. its probably from playing silent hill or watching a scary movie or something

That's an interesting point. Now that I've been awake for about 6 hours, (At least I think I have... :eek: ) this dream doesn't really have an effect on me. It was just that early morning, foggy dullness of recently waking up that made me look into it deeply. I feel really silly now for making a big deal out of it, but It did creep me the hell out.

Dreams can have a loosely interpretable meaning (i.e they are related to current desires, fears etc)

It is theorised (and extended theorem by myself) that dreaming is the brains equivalent to muscular repair response to exercise.
When a muscle action is repeatedly used the body will improve the strength and coordination of those muscles (muscle fibre hypertrophy and neuronal development) this often occurs during sleep.

I believe a similar thing happens with the brain and leads to the 'side effect' of dreaming (you are not 'meant' to experience the dream for any benefit, in fact most dreaming that occurs is not recalled)
It is well known that REM (dream sleep) is required for learning new skills and sleeping is the best thing to do after, say, practice with a musical instrument.

The dream will often be related to fears that the brain will try to make sense of and improve it's reaction in case the fear becomes reality, or dealing more efficiently with a previously experienced situation.
I.e, if you fear being attacked having dreams about that scenario will pre-prepare the brain for such incidents, just like the muscles being improved for the next time you go for a run.

The reason this occurs (and the same with muscle) is that repairs and new brain connections (especially related to 'reflex' routes) cannot be made instantly, a repeated strengthening of the system is required.
Experiencing something once is not enough to produce any real adaptation so the brain will 're-play' the scenario (more so if it was particularly important, stressful, meaningful).

Of course, the way the brain does this is complex and dreams often are bizzare, entertaining, weird .....
There is little point trying to extract any meaning from them, although they can be a great source of entertainment or creativity (some of my best ideas have come to me through dreams).
They relate to real world events (i often have dreams about the days events) but won't tell you anything more than you already know.

I was heading to city museum with friends. On the way, I notice my feet hurting badly. We get inside, and the pain so great I take my shoes off. I see puss dripping, and bleeding sores all over my feet, and open wounds on heels. Gashes almost. A stranger comes up and tells me that it’s cancer, no doctor, no proof, but I believe them. I then try to get back to my truck, but the pain is so great I take a few steps and fall. A friend helps carry me outside, I don't know who it is.

Do you watch Fringe at all?

Do you watch Fringe at all?

Not a single episode has graced my eyes.

Dreams can have a loosely interpretable meaning (i.e they are related to current desires, fears etc)

It is theorised (and extended theorem by myself) that dreaming is the brains equivalent to muscular repair response to exercise.
When a muscle action is repeatedly used the body will improve the strength and coordination of those muscles (muscle fibre hypertrophy and neuronal development) this often occurs during sleep.

I believe a similar thing happens with the brain and leads to the 'side effect' of dreaming (you are not 'meant' to experience the dream for any benefit, in fact most dreaming that occurs is not recalled)
It is well known that REM (dream sleep) is required for learning new skills and sleeping is the best thing to do after, say, practice with a musical instrument.

The dream will often be related to fears that the brain will try to make sense of and improve it's reaction in case the fear becomes reality, or dealing more efficiently with a previously experienced situation.
I.e, if you fear being attacked having dreams about that scenario will pre-prepare the brain for such incidents, just like the muscles being improved for the next time you go for a run.

The reason this occurs (and the same with muscle) is that repairs and new brain connections (especially related to 'reflex' routes) cannot be made instantly, a repeated strengthening of the system is required.
Experiencing something once is not enough to produce any real adaptation so the brain will 're-play' the scenario (more so if it was particularly important, stressful, meaningful).

Of course, the way the brain does this is complex and dreams often are bizzare, entertaining, weird .....
There is little point trying to extract any meaning from them, although they can be a great source of entertainment or creativity (some of my best ideas have come to me through dreams).
They relate to real world events (i often have dreams about the days events) but won't tell you anything more than you already know.

That's interesting... But it makes perfect sense. I've been doing a lot of mental and physical activities lately, such as running, and actively searching for inspiration, and doing school work, so the stress just translated into a dream. Very nice. Thanks. :p

Back