help me - symmetry in xsi

Glo

Reaction score
hey

im trying to move on to xsi now and i cant manage to make a symmetry copy of my model.

i managed to make a mirrored duplication, but i want it to be updated real-time

please, can someone guide me how can i make such thing?

thanks.

you need to make an instance of it instead, then while you work on the original version the instance will then update in realtime for you. Can even up the subd on the instance and work on the original normally, makes things much easier I find.

oh i see
well i can make an instance, how do i mirror it now?
edit: actually i managed to make a clone of my model, and it does change when i modify the original, though its not mirrored
if anyone can post a step by step on how i do it, ill be grateful

just mirror it (RTM) or scale it in a negative way (just put a - on its scale)

cool thanks, i got it

now lets say i want to break the symmetry and make one mesh of the two, how do i do it?

Use the Weld Boundary Points/Edges command in the Poly. Mesh menu.

desty

this never works, i need to combine my two mirrors also but i dont know how...

-merc

i need to know how to make one object out of two
the same thing as attaching in 3dsmax.
anyone knows how to do it? thanks

Under the modify model menu look under polymesh, the option to make two objects into one is in there.

Well, i selected the two seperate objects then went to modify > poly.mesh and i got the following menu ( attachments )

any idea which one it is?

merge.png

Make sure at least two objects are selected

This is how I do my symmetrical setups in XSI... These tools are available in the EXP as well, although I am using v4.

1. get you starting mesh, e.g. a cube or sphere
2. select one half of the mesh by pressing y and drawing a rectangle in the top/side viewport. Press delete
3. Edit>Duplicate/Instantiate>Clone Single
4. Move the clone away from the original stating mesh
5. Select the clone and use Modify>Poly. Mesh>Symmetrize or Alt+RightClick on the mesh and pick Symmetrize

GET THE IMAGES HERE (684Kb)

These five steps leave you with a starting mesh that as you model will go and update the full clone model. The best thing about this setup is you can then make changes to the complete clone model without breaking the symmetry.

thanks, i managed to make a symmetry copy.

at the very moment i managed to merge two objects into a new one. thanks!

though i want to overwrite one object's material to the other's, how do i do that?

sorry for all these newbie questions, im just trying really hard to learn the basics. already took some VTMs from 3dbuzz but it doesnt cover it.

Back