[Help Needed] University Survey

Omnomnick

Retired Lead Content Creator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi guys, it appears I require the assistance of ValveHelpTime2Life.Halfnet/Irrational!

I am currently studying Game Design at University, and part of the main module on the third and final year of my course involve writing an academic dissertation/research paper on a topic relevant to the course. My paper mainly focuses on discussing and researching the use of narrative in modern video games in order to evaluate how effective certain devices or techniques are.

As part of my initial research, I have developed the following survey which aims to gather up the opinions of game players regarding the use of narrative. While I have got a number of results from peers and lecturers at the university, I'd like to broaden my search by adding in a few participants from online communities such as this. I'd really appreciate it if anyone reading this could check out the survey (linked as a PDF below) and post a reply in this thread with their answers. I'll include an example post in the spoiler tags below showing how I feel answers may be shown, given that there is no way to physically fill in the papers before handing them back to me.

It shouldn't take more than a few minutes to check through the survey and fill it out! Please reply honestly since I have to use these results to back up information in my academic report.

I'll probably take off the survey sometime on Tuesday next week since I have to begin analysing the results on Wednesday, but I'll more than likely leave the thread open to discussion. Thanks to anyone who is able to participate, I seriously appreciate it!

Just took the survey off here as it's time for me to evaluate the results. Big thanks to everyone who participated! If I remember, I'll post how I get on here once I've got my degree halfway through next year.

I give consent: Agree

1. Somewhat
2. No
3. No
4. Disagree
5. Agree
6. Agree
7. Neither Agree nor Disagree
8. Agree
9. Agree
10. Strongly Agree
11. Disagree
12. Neither Agree nor Disagree
13. Strongly Agree

Games: Half-Life 2, Bioshock Infinite, Grand Theft Auto V, The Stanley Parable, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

14. Strongly Agree
15. Agree
16. Agree
17. I enjoyed not having every little aspect of the story explained to me as if I was ten.

18. Agree
19a. Disagree
19b. Neither Agree nor Disagree
20. Agree
21. Neither Agree nor Disagree
22. The character development between Booker and Elizabeth.

23. Strongly Agree
24. Neither Agree nor Disagree
25. Character interaction, specifically between the three protagonists.

26. Agree
27. Strongly Agree
28. Disagree
29. How many story variations there were within a seemingly simple game.

30. Strongly Agree
31. Agree
32. The fact that it was entirely optional.

I give consent: Agree

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Disagree
5. Disagree
6. Agree
7. Neither Agree nor Disagree
8. Neither Agree nor Disagree
9. Neither Agree nor Disagree
10. Disagree
11. Disagree
12. Neither Agree nor Disagree
13. Agree

Games: Half-Life 2, The Stanley Parable

14. Agree
15. Strongly Agree
16. Agree
17. The excellent way cutscenes were replaced with scripted sequences and the mystery and intrigue of characters like the G-man. Also the empowered feeling of playing as Gordon against the Combine.

26. Strongly Agree
27. Strongly Agree
28. Strongly Disagree
29. The humour, originality and the discovery of different endings.

To make filling out the survey a little easier, I converted the PDF into a Google Docs form. That way, it's notably easier to fill out, all the data gets auto-sorted into a nice little spreadsheet for easy interpretation, and the data remains truly anonymous.

(Sorry, Nick, if this isn't what you wanted. I'll take it down in a heartbeat if that's the case.)

(Sorry, Nick, if this isn't what you wanted. I'll take it down in a heartbeat if that's the case.)

Nah, it's fine. Thanks, this works great. I just didn't know it was a thing. I'll update the original post to give people this option.

EDIT: Nevermind, I have been tampered with! :O

EDIT: Nevermind, I have been tampered with! :O
Yeah, normally I would never edit another person's post like that, but I figured it'd only get across properly if it were in the OP.

Did the google doc thing. I ended up selecting a lot of neither agree/disagree and almost no strongly agree/disagree but I hope it's useful anyway.

Did the google doc thing. I ended up selecting a lot of neither agree/disagree and almost no strongly agree/disagree but I hope it's useful anyway.

Anything is useful, thanks!

I give consent:agree

1. yes
2. yes
3. no
4. strongly disagree
5. agree
6. strongly disagree
7. neither agree nor disagree
8. strongly disagree
9. strongly agree
10. strongly disagree
11. strongly disagree
12. neither agree nor disagree
13. strongly agree
Half-life 2
14. neither agree nor disagree
15. strongly agree
16. strongly disagree
17. What I enjoyed the most about half-life 2's storyline was how interesting it was. it's a complicated world and not everything is known, and the world is so unique i don't know what to expect next in the story always keeping it interesting.

Just gonna bump this thread to remind people I'm taking down the survey on Tuesday 3rd December (tomorrow). I won't be accepting any more submissions after that.

Back