hl² send me to desktop

F

fireflaie

Hi all,

I've just buy the game today (i'm waiting for a long long time for it)
The i installed the game and Steam, created a steam account, downloaded all the updates i needed ..

after this i launched the game and hl² prompt me that my graphic card drivers maybe too old, then i'll tryed (no one know) and hl² is loading, the guy of valve apperas, then a black screen talking about havok etc, and pof in one second i'm back on the windows desktop :rolling:

I've juste downloaded the last nvidia Forceware, and the game don't prompt me again the warning about my drivers, but it's the same, the games sent me back to the desktop ...

What can i do to play ??
please help me, i want to play it so much ! :(

my config :
AMD Athlon XP 1700+ (> 1.2GHz ..)
GeForce2Ti 64Mo (DirectX 7 graphic card i think so)
1024Mo DDR
Windows XP Family Edition
and the game and all the components are installed

if anyone can help me thank you !
sry for my bad english .. :upstare:

Yes same me for mate, apparently you need to re-download the files and then play and it should work.

what file is needed to be re-downloaded ?
i've the game on the DVD version so where can i find those files and d/l it ?
or should i need to reinstall the game ?

Same thing here. With both HL2 & CS Source

Mine is a 128mb ATI Radeon 9800 Pro, Still crashes back to the desktop after installing the latest Catalyst drivers I dont even fully see the main menu :(.

I downloaded/preloaded the games via valve, unlocked them today and am desperate to play!

ItchyFish, you say its a case oof re-installing/re-downloading? How do I make it do this? Do I have to trash the lot and start again or just a few files?? :rolling:

Help Please!

Valve is suggesting the models .gcf cache file may be corrupt. Try renaming it and redownloading.

It might be that your half-life 2 is not done downloading. In an act of stupidy, vavle has made it so the last parts of HL2 are download throught the monitor. Right-click on HL2 and click properties. If it's not a 100% then it's still Downloading on to your computer. I hope this helps.

Thanks Ahnteis, Ill try that now, will let ya know how it goes.

Apoptosis, thanks but both are at 100%

Laters!

so .. i'll try to rename "Steam\SteamApps\source models.gcf" in order to re-download it but it's 449Mo, with steam it will takes a lot of time :/
well, we'll see it this night, i'll tell you tomorrow if this tips works or not :naughty:

i played hl² on my borther PC and it works perfectly (time to load it) but it's a very impressive game

i hope i'll play it on my pc soon

good night all, thks for helping, see you soon :)

Fireflaie, if your brother has it, just burn the source models.gcf to a CD and copy it to your computer (or through the network if you have one).

It should be in C:\program files\valve\steam\steam apps\

that don't work ... :'(
i bought it probably for noting ? :/

if anyone know how to launch the game and play because I don't know how to do, now i have no idea ...

thanks, i hope anyone will answer :(

Hi all
Here is the translation of a solution to have the game working !!

Part 1 :
--------------
Go in the directory :
E:\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\STEAM_ACCOUNT_NAME\half-life 2
there is a directory named "bin" that contains many .dll etc

Part 2 :
--------------
Enter the "bin" directory and copy all the files (ctrl+A, ctrl+C)

go back at E:\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\STEAM_ACCOUNT_NAME\half-life 2
then paste the files here (Ctrl+V)

Part 3 :
--------------
Select all the files and directorys (EXCEPT THE "BIN" DIRECTORY) in

Copy it !!!

Part 4 :
--------------
No Go back in the "bin" directory then Paste the files and dir you've just copy
if windows tell you that there is files that have the same name so just overwrite it, as you want that's not seams to be a problem if you don't

Part 5 :
--------------
Quit Steam
=> Reload Steam, right click : Games, right click on Half-Life 2 and Launch the game
Enjoy if that works :cheese:, sorry if that don't :(

Of (f'n) course it didn't work for me. I'm pretty sure I did everything correctly. GRRR

I wonder if this is the memory read error. Are you running SP2 Fireflaie?

no i'm running SP1

about the how to upper the part 3 and 4 seams not to be obligatory but that works too

you have to do the same if you want to play CS Source, but in the cs source directory instead of hl² directory

I'm running SP2 and it works for me.
THANKS A LOT i was becoming mad since yesterday.

fireflaie said:
no i'm running SP1

about the how to upper the part 3 and 4 seams not to be obligatory but that works too

you have to do the same if you want to play CS Source, but in the cs source directory instead of hl² directory
Hmmm if you are running SP1 this may be the memory read error as well. It doesn't give you an error, just crashes to desktop. I will try this when I get home.

OMG FireFlare, YOU are a STAR!!!

Finally! Well, Ive been as far as the main menu now ;) and set my options, just had to come back and say thanks!! How the hell did you come up with THAT fix?!?!

I have to admit tho' ive lost confidence in valve and this game after this troubel and im just waiting to see what all new problems it throws at me!

At least im in now! Thanks again!

First of all, it still doesn't work for me? I am pretty sure I followed the directions - what might I have done incorrectly?

Also, what is SP1 or SP2 ?

Please HELP ME . I am getting no error message - just a crach to desktop from the load screen.

Thanks guys.

indyjones2131 said:
First of all, it still doesn't work for me? I am pretty sure I followed the directions - what might I have done incorrectly?

Also, what is SP1 or SP2 ?

Please HELP ME . I am getting no error message - just a crach to desktop from the load screen.

Thanks guys.

Indy, if you followed Fireflare's instructions to the letter all should be OK.

You ask what is SP1 or SP2? You said earlier you were on SP1 but we're talkijng about Windows XP Service Packs. Try going to Windows Update & doing all available updates.

I've now played past the canal section without a single glitch :) (XP PRO SP2) thanks to the fix above. So it makes a load of redundant files, i dont care anymore it works! Besides I wont notice them in the 6 Gig plus Valve follder structure!

I just hope vavle dont decide to "update" me and screw it up again!

I did follow the fix - it didn't work. Also, I checked and I do indeeed have SP2. Thanks guys, but I guess I just can't play this game.

Worst part is that it worked for about two hours when it first came out. How do you explain that?

:(

I did the fix and it didn't work for me. =\

I don't want to have to wait for steam to d/l a 400 some MB model file =(

I've heard folks have tried that as well (dlding the cfg file again) and it still didn't work.

OK the error messeges i get are:

Engine error: map version is 32768 expecting 19!!!

then when i click ok i get:

Application error: the instruction at 0x241f8977 referenced memory could not be read.

I preloaded hl2 last week and now i cant play it, does anyone have a clue what this means.

I get all the way to the menu i have changed my display settings but when i try to start a new game thats what happens.

fireflaie said:
Hi all

Part 1 :
--------------
Go in the directory :

Part 2 :
--------------

Part 3 :
--------------

Copy it !!!

Part 4 :
--------------
if windows tell you that there is files that have the same name so just overwrite it, as you want that's not seams to be a problem if you don't

Part 5 :
--------------
Quit Steam
=> Reload Steam, right click : Games, right click on Half-Life 2 and Launch the game

This BTW Does Not Work For ME!

I've noticed alot of people (including myself) who have problems with the loading screen, whether it's being kicked to desktop, or freezing, have a 9600xt...can anyone confirm this? It's ridiculous the lack of support I'm getting from valve.

i actually have a 9600 next to me but at the moment its a 9200 128 same driver i believe.

I'm running an XP2600+ (2.14Ghz) and I'm getting the same problem.

I'm wondering if Valve needs to create an ATI patch for HL2 as they did for HL1...or was it DoD... :dozey:

its fine on my ATI Radeon 9800Pro & AMD 2800+

I hope you guys get a fix soon, I have no more suggestions sorry.

Fireflaie You Rock

fireflaie said:
Hi all

Part 1 :
--------------
Go in the directory :

Part 2 :
--------------

Part 3 :
--------------

Copy it !!!

Part 4 :
--------------

Part 5 :
--------------
Quit Steam

This worked for me, Thanks Fireflaie, You Rock!!!!!

Now I Know

Hi peeps I had this problem but merely stumbled upon the way i fixed it. I went in to direct x diagnostics and turned the hardware acceleration for my sound card off at first and to my surprise hl2 now works absolutely perfect up 2 now

Hope this helps some people

ericthedog

fireflaie said:
Hi all

Part 1 :
--------------
Go in the directory :

Part 2 :
--------------

Part 3 :
--------------

Copy it !!!

Part 4 :
--------------

Part 5 :
--------------
Quit Steam

Yes!!! IT works for me. Not only has it helped stop the evil crash to Desktop, but it also stopped my sound stuttering. I don't know why, but I worked for me. Played for 2 hours last night after this fix and not one crash or stutter. Great!
:bounce: :thumbs:

fireflaie said:
Hi all

Part 1 :
--------------
Go in the directory :

Part 2 :
--------------

Part 3 :
--------------

Copy it !!!

Part 4 :
--------------

Part 5 :
--------------
Quit Steam

FireFlaie you are my hero
I was about to bring HL2 back to the store since im trying to get it working for 3 days.
but it's working now.

Thanks a million times FireFlaie.

Running AMD Athlon 2000+, 512Mb DDR 400Mhz, Radeon 9200, XP Pro.

Tried all tweaks in this thread and didnt help, both games HL2 and CS still freeze in loading screen or when connecting a server (CS) and only way i can get out of this freeze is boot whole computer...

Tried many drivers also, Omegas, newest ATIs etc and no help...
Im sure problem is in game itself....they better publish that patch soon. :(

This fix did not work for me. Below is my configuration:

Nvidia 66.93 drivers w/Coolbits2 hack
Desktop\Game resolution: 1600x1200 2XAA/8XAF
GeForce 6800GT
Windows XP SP2
AMD 64 3000
1GB RAM
Audigy1 Sound Card

For NVIDIA just roll back your driver

Worked For Me !

after 2 frustrating !@#$#@ days

Now trying it will let you know soon.

Can't believe this game has so many problems.

Man played a little bit and by god I think its fixed it. Thanks dude you're a god send.

Now time to go kill some :sniper: combine ass!

First computer:

AMD 64-bit 3200XP 2.4GHz Processor
Asus K8V SE Delux Mobo
Dual 160GB HDDs
Nvidia Geforce 5600 256MB
512 RAM
Onboard sound

On this computer I get the memory error all the time. I havent been able to play HL2 beyond the train station once yet, Sometimes It crashes when the game is loading, sometimes in the options menu, and mostly ib the train scene.

I first installed HL2 on the 64 bit version of windows and I got the error, without comng here first I decided to try to fix it with a fresh install of normal 32-bit Windows XP, I get the same errors. I have even tried with SP1 and SP2, no luck. I tried copying the /bin/ files back into another dir, but nothing happened. I also tried a few different things in HL2 commandline, that also didn't work.

Second Computer:

Pentium 4 2.4GHz
40GB HDD
Radeon 9000 Pro II
Sound blaster 5.1 sound card
512 RAM

The first install did not work at all, I got the "Windows XP Blue screen of death" When I launched the game, Then I reinstalled the video drivers, restarted the computer, and loaded HL2...No more problems with it after this, the game works 100% fine, no crashes, no game lag.

I have a third computer I'll also try it on, and post back to you guys, I hope this could help out - I did manage to get it working on one computer.

Back