Which game do you like better?

• Half-life 1

Votes: 86 34.8%
  • Half-life 2

Votes: 161 65.2%

• Total voters

Sai

Reaction score
which one did you have more fun playing?

HL2 and Hl1 are both excellent games but HL2 in terms of storyline, enemies, environment, sound, beauty, physics, playability,replayability, atmosphere, plausibility and fun wipes HL1.
HL1 was and still is excellent but with the best shooter ever made -HL2 -around it really isn't much of a contest
HL2 is so multifaceted and enjoyable
Its a real tribute to HL1 that it is easily in the top 10 choice in shooters after 7 years - unbelieveable!!
Even though HL2 is much better it will never match that feat

Yup, HL2.
HL1 had the setting and the atmosphere make no mistake, mainly due to the NPCs I'd say.
But HL2 had the setting, the atmosphere and the incredible gameplay! I had never seen a game that hadn't had some part that I hated (on a rail - HL, British campaign - CoD, Tunnel rat - Vietcong), until HL2 came. I love it from start to finish!

I liked hl2 better, had more stuff to mess around with :D

hl1 kicks hl2's arse
imo, in terms of pure gameplay and it's story

I think Half-Life 1 had better gameplay and was overall alot more fun.

I picked HL1... I think everyone mentioned what I said.

This is like asking me to choose what one of my children to throw off a hydroelectric dam.

HL1 but only by a nose. Too much inconsistant gameplay in HL2, with too many this isn't HL2 this is *insert aaa game name* Valve need to learn to do their own game instead of formula that works in other games. A few other minor reasons too like ammo, snipers, power, less clever level design at times also

the main reson game play is a bit inconsistent is because they cut so many god damn levels they did thier best to edit but u can still tell somethings are missing

Half-Life 1 was better than 2, cause it wasn't so short and easy. The enemys were smarter than at Half-Life 2 and Half-Life 1 was a bit longer and interesting. In Half-life 1 you camped at a corner next to the door, the marines/enemys wont come one at a time to be slaughtered like in Half-Life 2. If they found out yur camping next to a corner they whould throw grenades or hold their positions until you whould pop your head out and BANG! It seems like in Half-Life 2 the soldiers dont really care of their own lives...

I think HL was trend-setting back in the days it was released, and it's still pretty fun to play nowadays, but it's simply outclassed by HL² now, which has much more variety and immersion.

It's like comparing apples and oranges.

There should be a both option, because I had an equal amount of fun playing both. Now if there was a poll between Half Life 1/2 v/s *insert retarded Doom clone here*, we'd be talking. :)

Seriously, though, I really don't think we can compare HL1 and HL2. Just like you cannot compare System Shock 2 with Deus Ex.
+

+I used SS2 and Deus Ex because they represent the same logical progression as in HL1 and HL2. They're both different games, but they both have the same basic gaming concepts at their core and are both in their own right classics.

AIDisabled said:
It's like comparing apples and oranges.

There should be a both option, because I had an equal amount of fun playing both. Now if there was a poll between Half Life 1/2 v/s *insert retarded Doom clone here*, we'd be talking. :)

Seriously, though, I really don't think we can compare HL1 and HL2. Just like you cannot compare System Shock 2 with Deus Ex.
+

+I used SS2 and Deus Ex because they represent the same logical progression as in HL1 and HL2. They're both different games, but they both have the same basic gaming concepts at their core and are both in their own right classics.

Good point.

Definately HL1. I had a lot more fun playing it. In HL1 it really feels like you're in Freeman's shoes, whereas in HL2 the feeling just isn't the same.

HL1 also had better gameplay and was overall more enjoyable IMO.

That's not saying HL2 is a bad game, cause it clearly isn't. It's just that I like HL1 better.

I like HL2, because you, as Gordon Freeman, am finally in the outside world, away for the small space and confining Black Mesa.

HL2 can easily beat HL1 on grafics,but if you just want to shoot Xens,then HL1 would be your choice.

Apart from the graphics, HL1 was excellent. It had SO much more variety in enemies. What have we got as usual enemies in HL2? Combine (all of the 4 types are pretty much the same) Antlions, headcrabs and the 3 types of zombies. In HL1 your regular enemies are Heabcrabs, Zombies, Grunts, Assasins, Bullsquids, Houndeyes, Vortigaunts, Alien Grunts..... I've probably forgotten some. So much more than HL2.

Blakeb155 said:
Apart from the graphics, HL1 was excellent. It had SO much more variety in enemies. What have we got as usual enemies in HL2? Combine (all of the 4 types are pretty much the same) Antlions, headcrabs and the 3 types of zombies. In HL1 your regular enemies are Heabcrabs, Zombies, Grunts, Assasins, Bullsquids, Houndeyes, Vortigaunts, Alien Grunts..... I've probably forgotten some. So much more than HL2.

I agree. Although I don't like to play HL1 anymore (because the graphics hurt my eyes) I did think the enemies were much more interesting and varied. I miss the Bullsquids particuarly.

There are vehicles in HL2 though, which I'm happy about. I guess the Striders, APCs, Choppers, Gunships and Dropships count as enemies too. I still love to play that part with the crane over and over. Mwahahaha! *bashes combine soldiers with buggy and cargo crates*

The levels were a bit more varied in HL1 too, though in both HL games the scenery starts to get very repetetive.

That doesn't really matter, it wouldn't fit with the storyline too well if one level you were in a jungle, the next a desert, then maybe some snowy mountains... ...that was one of the things that made NOLF and NOLF2 so interesting though.

Overall I'd say HL2 is a better game, even if its mainly because of the more immersive environment and awesome graphics.

HL2: more complex story/storytelling, more developed characters, more engaging gameplay, more fun action sequences, more variety, more immersive, more original settings, more fun style of puzzles, etc...
Though I think it's too hard too compare since, as mentioned, they are part of the same series.

HL1, without it, there would be no BM:S

Half-Life 1 was noticably linear, will maps in Black Mesa: Source include alternate routes, expanded or new rooms, ect.?
Black Mesa: Source was founded on the premise that we were going to rebuild the Black Mesa Research Facility with a sense that everything was connected and that the player had choice. New rooms, alternative routes and actions are something which we plan to create, but not all situations can have them. New rooms are added on the premise that the storyline is not drastically changed, alternative routes are added which the foundation that the player will have the sense of choice, but still be guided along a path to the ending and many rooms are to be expanded.

YAY!

If HL1 had the grafics of HL2,then I bet HL1 would beat HL2 by a long way.

The Combine were a better enemy than the Xen aliens of HL1, but the setting of the Black Mesa facility was slightly better than the too-massive world of HL2. HL2's setting kind of fell down when you reached Highway 17....a big long road is not as cool as either a ruined science facility or a city under authoritarian oppression. The City 17 setting in the beginning is just as good as Black Mesa, though.

As for variety of enemies - I like the uniformity of enemies in HL2. They're practically from a conveyor belt, after all. There's no need to have one dog-shaped knee-height type of enemy, one moderate-sized enemy, one human-sized type of enemy, and a few mahusive enemies of variable size - if you have one type of enemy that kicks arse and looks mean (ie, Combine troop) then I think it's fine to flood the game with it. I wanted to be attacked by more Combine troops.

Oh yeah, and HL2 pwnz0r5

Crikey!!! I have beat HL1 and I am getting HL2 tonight, so it should be fun when I get it downloaded!!! hehe...

HL1 left far more immersive and scarrier than HL2. I think the bots on both sides were good, the characters were about the same as well. I think that the physics and graphics on HL2 are incredable, but I do like the grainy and gritty feeling to HL1 graphics, and I like how bodies explode.

The style of gameplay is really different between games though, HL1 focuses on logic puzzles and uses your weapons for different enemies. HL2 makes you fight more (far more mainstream, but less Half Life-y) and makes you use the physics. They are very different but I think that I lived the HL1 gameplay more.

I also like the setting of HL1 more, although it doesn't have the veriety of HL2, it is very gritty, dark and mysterious. HL1 is scarrier than HL2, but probably because you don't have a relationship with any NPC's and you are the last person alive. I like that more.

You know, because HL2 is a movie. But i wish those damned Cops had a bit more health - it would have been more challenging then.

Jintor said:
You know, because HL2 is a movie. But i wish those damned Cops had a bit more health - it would have been more challenging then.

Set it to hard :thumbs: CP are FAR too puny on any other difficulty

HL1 probably had the better gameplay. I kept re-playing it loads of times and enjoyed it. When I re-play HL2 it gets boring fast but it was excellent the first time. HL1 graphics were very good back in 1998 and it had a better storyline. When HL1 came out there was no arguement on which shooter was the best because it was much better than the others. The only problem with HL1 was some of the chapters were crap IMO, such as the final four chapters on Xen.

grannyjone said:
HL1 probably had the better gameplay. I kept re-playing it loads of times and enjoyed it. When I re-play HL2 it gets boring fast but it was excellent the first time. HL1 graphics were very good back in 1998 and it had a better storyline. When HL1 came out there was no arguement on which shooter was the best because it was much better than the others. The only problem with HL1 was some of the chapters were crap IMO, such as the final four chapters on Xen.

I'm replaying HL2 for the 3rd time in a row, and am near to the finish without getting bored. I didn't do that with HL1 - I replayed it a lot but over a much longer period of time, because there were large parts of the game which weren't all that great (ie, Xen).

Laivasse said:
I didn't do that with HL1 - I replayed it a lot but over a much longer period of time, because there were large parts of the game which weren't all that great (ie, Xen).

On HL1 I only kept replaying my favourite parts and didn't bother at all with the terrible Xen chapters after the first time through. HL2 is certainly much better towards the end of the game than HL1.

HL

More sense of purpose, greater immersion, and better pacing. The fighting wasn't as tiresome either.

(still think HL2 is a very good game tho)

I like HL2 because unlike HL1 you can use your enviroment to beat the enimies e.g in route canal you can use the barrels on the bridge to blow it to bits along with the combine.

I preferred HL2, though HL1 is great. But HL2 wins for me because there were no parts I hated. When playing through it again, there were no parts I wanted just to finish. In HL1, though, there were places I hated the first time through, and the subsequent times. The entire residue processing chapter or whatever it was called, where you were in that waste disposal plant. It sucked, all of it. Blast Pit, IMO, didn't have enough good action. And Xen, while the most atmospheric thing, was lacking.

In HL2, I have my favorite places, but none that I didn't like. Loved each chapter, either for the action, atmosphere, or combination of both.

I have played hl2 and loved it, but I played HL years ago and I don't remember a bit, (I was young hehe ) In your guys' opinion is it worth playing (and buying ;( ) again? Poor gfx doesn't really bug me (although I'm sure I will miss the physics :) )

100th post!

1: felt more epic

2: has more modding capibility, and graphics...but only average story

so i choose 2

Would you say HL1 was still longer than HL2 if you didn't include the Xen part?

Back