HL2 custom map: Prop shadows do not match lighting.

Rockoman100

Headcrab
Reaction score
The title pretty much says it, physics props in my maps never cast accurate shadows. No matter if the lighting is a light, light_spot, or coming from the skybox via light_environment; prop shadows never cast in the same direction as shadows casted by brushes. Nor do they cast in a direction relative to any light source at all.

This is only a problem in the Orange Box source engine, as props shadows work correctly when i compile Portal 2 maps.

2012-01-26_00001.jpg

Quite obviously the shadows cast by the prop are completely irrelevant to the light source.

This happens in all my maps, i have even tried advanced fixes such as:

Created a custom light RAD file (texeltestlights.rad) with this line added:

forcetextureshadow models/props_borealis/bluebarrel001.mdl

Added these parms to $light_exe:

-both -final -lights texeltestlights.rad -textureshadows -StaticPropLighting -StaticPropPolys -game $gamedir $path\$file

The parms in italics are ones ive added in order to correctly render prop shadows, but it still does nothing different. These same parameters are seen in the default Portal 2 compile options, so i figured they would work since it works in Portal 2. I was wrong. Nothing seems to work.

I am 100% positive that this is possible to do in the OB engine because ive seen in in Half-Life 2.

If anybody has any insight as to how to fix this, please, please help.

EDIT: DO NOT suggest shadow_control, that is not exactly what im looking for. Shadow_control defines the direction for prop shadows throughout the ENTIRE MAP. I want the shadows for my props to move dynamically according to the light sources, which ive seen in HL2 and works perfect when i compile in Portal 2.

Back