HL2 Ep.1, Look Up/Look Down REFUSES to work

BrainDead420

Reaction score
So I finished HL2 the other day and thought, why not try episode 1? So I buy a copy, I got it installed, setup and running with my Logitech game-pad (basically the same as a ps3 controller). Then almost immediately a wrench got tossed into the gears of progression because unlike HL2, HL2 Ep.1 allows everything to be set EXCEPT the look up/ look down functions!

I've tried every combination of enabling the joystick and joystick-look possible, it doesn't work; I've reinstalling the game, it doesn't work; I tried editing the cfg file, It doesn't work; I tried copying my cfg file from HL2, it doesn't work. I looked it up online and could only find 2 other posts by people with this same problem but neither of the entries had any answers, they were just page after page of people trolling on the the guys because they weren't using a mouse or whatever method they found superior to a game-pad, so I had to register an account here to look for answers.

I know there's nothing wrong with the game-pad because it worked perfectly for HL2 (even though HL1 doesn't recognize it for some weird reason), but it just refuses to let you look up or down with ANY key on the controller, no matter what button you set the look up/down functions for they simply refuse to work while every other button and stick does it's job, I can't even express how frustrating that is being able to walk around and fire and everything else, but having this one game-stopping error that ruins it.

Now, I have a laptop not a pc and it's hooked up to my flat-screen with a 6 foot VGA cable. I'm not about to sit on my floor at a neck breaking angle to try and play this game on the big screen with key & mouse controls, and I'm not about to slouch over the laptop and give myself a headache straining to see everything on the small screen while trying to get used to the old key & mouse controls either, not after I JUST beat HL2 with this game-pad. I just want to play comfortably.

I tried everything I can think of to fix it and nothing's worked so far, so If you can think of a way to help PLEASE DO!!!! Thanks in advance for reading, and the info.

Use a mouse and keyboard like normal PC gamers? It's not hard to game on a table. Also, they sell wired usb keyboards for like $15 at wal mart. You can just plug one of those in so you don't break your neck trying to type.

Use a mouse and keyboard like normal PC gamers? It's not hard to game on a table. Also, they sell wired usb keyboards for like $15 at wal mart. You can just plug one of those in so you don't break your neck trying to type.

I don't understand why people like you feel the need to respond with useless information like "use a mouse and keyboard like normal gamers" when the post itself clearly tells why I'm not doing that. That doesn't bring anything to the table.

For future reference, it goes like this: Read post. Think. Post Intelligent and/or Helpful Response.

I don't really know how to help I'm afraid but have you made sure it still works with HL2? I believe there are console commands related to activating joypads but I don't know them. Sorry.

Yes it still works with HL2, and i've already manually set the look up and look down functions in the cfg file to the proper axis for the joypad, saved, reset the game and still nothing.

I don't understand why people like you feel the need to respond with useless information like "use a mouse and keyboard like normal gamers" when the post itself clearly tells why I'm not doing that. That doesn't bring anything to the table.

For future reference, it goes like this: Read post. Think. Post Intelligent and/or Helpful Response.

Because it's not uncomfortable if you get a usb keyboard, and it doesn't take long at all to get used to it.

I read your post, thought "Wow, he's complaining a lot about how he can't get something to work when there's a perfectly good alternative," then I posted about how you can buy a cheap keyboard and mouse, and game comfortably on your couch and be done with it.

Also, do you have the box labelled "enable joypad" checked in the mouse options?

What an arse-hole would call complaining, regular people would call a helpfully detailed description of the problem and attempted fixes. I have a laptop with a keyboard and mouse already on it, so why would I spend money on another keyboard and mouse when my controller already does what they do?? What I asked for was a fix for the bug that keeps this one aspect of the control from working in Ep.1 like it did with HL2, not how I can throw money at alternatives.

And I already said in my post that I tried covering every combination of enabling the joystick and joystick-look possible, that's the first thing anybody having control issues would do.

Please respond with helpful info on a fix for the control bug or don't respond at all.

There's a lesson in this that you need to learn: You could have already beaten the game in the time that you've spent trying to fix something that isn't broken.

I found this guide from Steam Support for using a controller for Source games. Now it says it only does the Orange Box games and Left 4 Dead but since it was written Half-Life 2 and Episode One have been updated to the Orange Box engine so it should work for those too.

If that doesn't owrk I came up with a another forum post where a guy recommended a program called Xpadder, which converts thumbstick movement into mouse movement for games that have trouble with them. If don't find a fix for the game itself you can try it.

Here's the official site:
http://xpadder.com/

There's a lesson in this that you need to learn: You could have already beaten the game in the time that you've spent trying to fix something that isn't broken.

Seriously kid get a life and f*ck off, you're being absolutely useless. Your words flaunt stupidity and inattention to painfully obvious detail at a level so high I doubt there's a word for it. Stop wasting my time.

Seriously kid get a life and f*ck off, you're being absolutely useless. Your words flaunt stupidity and inattention to painfully obvious detail at a level so high I doubt there's a word for it. Stop wasting my time.

That time I've been wasting, do you mean all that time that you spent scouring the internet for a solution to a mild annoyance, or the 30 seconds it takes you to type a response?

I offered a solution to your problem, which would alleviate your apparent spinal pain as well as your eye strain and/or migraines from a laptop screen.

That time I've been wasting, do you mean all that time that you spent scouring the internet for a solution to a mild annoyance, or the 30 seconds it takes you to type a response?

I offered a solution to your problem, which would alleviate your apparent spinal pain as well as your eye strain and/or migraines from a laptop screen.
And he said that he wasn't interested in that solution, yet you keep posting.

Back