HL2 Gameplay comments to improve HL3

Yeah the AI is quite smart in some situations (i've caught combine soldiers hiding behind doors) and dumb in others such as navigation.

And the barnacle thing, jsut sucks.

My computer recently crashed, causing me to lose everything... I'm still trying to reinstall everything, but as parents also use it for work, HL2 is unfortunately not that high on the priorities list.

I hope Valve will be able to see and hopefully take aboard some of these ideas. However, truthfully, there really isn't that much one can say without getting into the really tiny nitty gritty stuff, which isn't that important. And as such, this thread has been forced back to page 5 in a couple of days.

I was hoping someone would be able to sticky this, in the hope that it would increase Valve's chance of finding this and taking some ideas on board. Otherwise it will be very quickly pushed back into a very latter page (as most of the main points seem to be already covered), and Valve will most likely not see it, which defeats the whole purpose of this thread. Otherwise, does anyone know how we can pass on this information to Valve directly?

Aside from the two major improvement suggestions of AI (following player, coordinated attacks and tactis, more player control over squad movement and tactics) and less lineararity in Level Design and possibly speech, most other smaller improvements fall into the categories of graphics (shadows, textures, decals, etc) and physics (ragdolls that aren't dead or that can be turned back alive, etc), both of which should naturally improve as our computing power increases.

However, I do have a suggestion about the shadows and other graphics related stuff. Apparently, I read from a thread that the Source engine does support shadows created from dynamic light sources, but they decided to remove that for better fps. There should be options to turn on/off such things, depending on whether people like fps or graphics better (personally, I can't really tell the difference of 10fps, especially on my LCD).

Also, although I agree that graphics aren't the most important thing in games, and especially when you're busy pointing and clicking you don't notice some things. However, HL2 is different in that it literally begs you to pay close attention to things, or you may miss a big clue to the story. And in such situations, a lot of the things that "shouldn't be" (like shadows pointing TOWARDS the only light source in the room because there is one global light source for the entire map) become extra distracting. Therefore, I think Valve should pay special regard to graphics and realism, as the HL series is special in this regard.

I can only think of one other little thing that I or someone else hasn't already covered. And this is only a little thing. Headcrabs can't attach to Gordon as apparently he has a helmet (otherwise he couldn't zoom and oxygen couldn't be supplied to him underwater), but other characters who don't should be able to be zombified and not just bitten by headcrabs when it is not scripted. This makes headcrabs more than just a minor nuisance (which is what they've become now that you can kill them with one crowbar hit), and a more challenging enemy when you have a squad. It would also be very fun to watch an enemy be zombified, and not just in scripted sequences.

So, anyway, hope this thread can become stickied so that Valve will be able to read it. Also, if anyone at Valve does read this, please feel free to post what you think about these suggestions, whether it's asking to much or pretty fair.

EDIT: About this ragdoll and string thing. I'm not a game programmer, but shouldn't you be able to change how elastic a string is? Therefore, if an npc tries to run when caught by a barnacle tongue, unless they're really strong, they won't be able to stretch the tongue string thing?

Also, I think the idea of ragdolls should be improved. Things shouldn't have to be dead to be affected by ragdoll physics. If it is alive, then the 'joints' are just more stiff, and they may also exert a force, which would then affect how much that limb moves during impact. Otherwise, at least have ragdolls be able to turn back alive if they shouldn't have died. I remember in HL1, you could send Marines sprawling with a grenade, but they wouldn't be dead, only vulnerable. However, this ragdoll thing has made it that if they fall over (which they won't), they're dead.

Damn... never knew that HL2's A.I will improve wen set to "hard". They act lifelike... dodging grenades and fire bullets are you with an accuracy of... 80%

0mar said:
I have a suggestion. For godssakes make the guns more accurate. There's nothing more I hate than single-shotting my SMG and that shot going everywhere but the middle of the crosshair. The Combine Pulse Rifle was a bit better but I really would like a real accurate gun.

I agree. The thing that really bugged the hell out of me when I was playing was that the guns were so horribly inaccurate. Like he said, I'd be maybe 30 feet away from a Combine Soldier, and empty an entire clip from the PDW at his chest but end up hitting him like twice....maybe. The only really accurate guns, the Magnum and the Crossbow, didn't let you carry nearly enough ammo for them. Eighteen shots that are actually going where you want them just isn't enough.... :rolling:

I thought all the guns were really accurate. Even the shotgun was more accurate than I thought it would be. :|

I think Valve should really make sure the AI in HL3 is a lot beter than it is in HL2, especially friendly AI. I'd also like to see more claustrophobic indoor areas, something I missed from the original. Oh, and a conclusive ending, please. :) Apart from that, there's wasn't much wrong with HL2 IMO. Just concentrate on what worked and make it ten times better. :)

I think HL3 should start exactly where HL2 finished, on top of the citadel with the explosion

right after gman gets off, you are back on the citadel with the explosion, just to realize it was a weak spike exlosion that the blast only went to where alyx's nose was and then stopped, the reactor didnt blowup yet just part of it, alyx says "phew that was close.. oh sh!@#$" as you see the top part of the citadel antenna fall (that you saw in hl2 also) and hits a wall to make a bridge to get higher, the elevator is blocked with rubble so alyx says we have to get down from the outside, you follow her as she walks up the bridge where you see dr.breen in the still in the middle of the citadel way down, as he says something like "I will get you!" and he enters a room (beleive me he didnt die at the end of hl2, see for yourself) you keep going on the bridge on top to go to the highest point and see the view,it should be about night as you catwalk on the outside side of the citadel slowly down (kind of like at the end of zelda occorina of time, right after you beat ganon you have to escape the tower) with loud explosions every 5 seconds, alyx says "i hope eli and mossman are ok!" and theres birds flying away on the edges of the citadel, while you are still on the edge you hear dr.breen talking through a crack, he seems to be talking again to that combine advisor but you cant make it out what exactly he says, you keep going down about half way until dog finally arrives driving a combine dropship (even though the last time you saw him he was with barney, he just kept the dropship somewhere else as "his pet" and then he saves you and alyx while eli and mossman are already in the dropship, dog and barney fly it to the ground as the dropship gets to heavy and slowly crashes to the ground, you get out and are right by the citadel's bottom while you see many more explosions on the citadel as it finally slowls starts to lean and starts falling, you see tons of citizens running away from it (kinda like in 9/11) and it takes about 10 seconds for the citadel to fall to the ground right before it hits the ground it completely dissapears with a loud sound (looks like it teleported back to the combine world with breen) everyone is shocked on the ground celebrating that all the combine soldiers are dead and the citadel gone, all your friends are still alive as you meet new people like "samuel" who was suppose to be in the beta who says "wow that scared me for a sec, seeing that thing fall over and almost destroy a huge part of *he says what city 17 is really called* kleiner arrives with lamarr on his shoulder, and everyone talks about re-building everything. gman appears while everyone sees him, says alot of things while people mention his name like "yo bob, where have you been?" as gman tells you who he is and becomes "one of those people who follow you" and the game continues

What I hate is how valve got us all excited with the AI with the bink videos, I was hoping to block doors like they showed and create barricades in realistic ways, but no, it was just another corporate lie.

Yes, unfortunately, you can barricade your own squad from following you too easily. Just put something in their path and they can't jump over it.

I don't know about the accuracy of guns though. I've never really fired a real one. However, it is noticeable that the mp7 and pistol are less accurate than in the first, although Gordon had never fired a weapon before in HL1... Shouldn't his accuracy improve or has his stasis made him more unco?

Having the max ammo reducing was ok, as I almost always go eco except if I'm using impulse 101 the second time around. But I think your squad should be able to carry ammo and share with you (of course, they shouldn't have infinite ammo either).

I actually thought the enemy AI was ok, most of the time. But they did seem a bit suicidal, and worked in much smaller groups than I would have like to have seen. My squad AI was what really bugged me.

Finally, if HL3 is going to have a conclusive ending, please don't make it be a 'boss' type ending. Most of the bosses just end up being very repetitive and boring (just doing the same thing over and over again until they eventually die). I don't know, some people seem to like it but I don't. Actually, Gonarch was ok, because she scared the crap out of me and was fast and had many attacks, but Nihilanth was a bit boring.

Why can't the final challenge be something like the mother of all firefights? Many human sized enemies with an intelligent human sized commander?

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot something. Please have more weapons, not as in 10 different types of smg's, but different weapons. Much of my fun in HL1 was playing with the trip mines, snarks, hivehand, gauss gun, and playing with the gravity gun in HL2... But HL2 didn't have as many 'new' weapons I thought. You'd think the combine would have more different types of weapons than jsut the pulse rifle and wouldn't have to use OUR smg's and shotguns, right?

Also, the arrows from the crossbow seem to have too big a collision box, as it gets stuck in thin air if it is shot too close to the edge of a wall, which is bad if you're trying to snipe from cover.

I don't think we can really claim that we have ideas that would 'improve' HL2 since the game was good because it already ties so many elements together. Randomly adding in features would ruin the cohesion that Valve have already established (like Daikatana's useless experience point system). Rather, I think that for HL3 Valve should focus on new areas and learn from their mistakes.

Some mistakes they made on HL2 were the release date debacle, showing of too much gameplay footage, not shipping with DM (that hurt the game in many reviews) and shortness of the game (seemed to be a factor with some people- was Valve overly ambitious or optimistic?).

What I think they should focus on for HL3 should be making the game more of a thriller/mystery than an all out action game. HL2 is the best action game I have played but that's it-- it had an action movie or comic book story/dialogue (very well done though). For HL3 it seems that Valve have all the elements prepared for a really exciting thriller/mystery: NPC's that can act, cast of cool and interesting characters, lots of unsolved mysteries, detailed and intriguing world, fully interactive environments, etc.

They should concentrate on more complex NPC interaction, NPC's that can 'improvise' according to the situation, more subtle action sequences more often (though quite fun, insane gunfights where Gordon kill hundreds of people are hard to believe and feel more like Rambo than like Blade Runner- should be used sparingly), answering questions through interactive and sophisticated scenes (what I look forward to the most); stuff like that, not just including what other games have.

I agree with the point about NPC's. They had good facial animations, but most were scripted. There should be more emotions when a fellow squad member dies, etc... They don't seem to display any emotions when their friends die (if it is not scripted).

Shadow][ said:
I think HL3 should start exactly where HL2 finished, on top of the citadel with the explosion

right after gman gets off, you are back on the citadel with the explosion, just to realize it was a weak spike exlosion that the blast only went to where alyx's nose was and then stopped, the reactor didnt blowup yet just part of it, alyx says "phew that was close.. oh sh!@#$" as you see the top part of the citadel antenna fall (that you saw in hl2 also) and hits a wall to make a bridge to get higher, the elevator is blocked with rubble so alyx says we have to get down from the outside, you follow her as she walks up the bridge where you see dr.breen in the still in the middle of the citadel way down, as he says something like "I will get you!" and he enters a room (beleive me he didnt die at the end of hl2, see for yourself) you keep going on the bridge on top to go to the highest point and see the view,it should be about night as you catwalk on the outside side of the citadel slowly down (kind of like at the end of zelda occorina of time, right after you beat ganon you have to escape the tower) with loud explosions every 5 seconds, alyx says "i hope eli and mossman are ok!" and theres birds flying away on the edges of the citadel, while you are still on the edge you hear dr.breen talking through a crack, he seems to be talking again to that combine advisor but you cant make it out what exactly he says, you keep going down about half way until dog finally arrives driving a combine dropship (even though the last time you saw him he was with barney, he just kept the dropship somewhere else as "his pet" and then he saves you and alyx while eli and mossman are already in the dropship, dog and barney fly it to the ground as the dropship gets to heavy and slowly crashes to the ground, you get out and are right by the citadel's bottom while you see many more explosions on the citadel as it finally slowls starts to lean and starts falling, you see tons of citizens running away from it (kinda like in 9/11) and it takes about 10 seconds for the citadel to fall to the ground right before it hits the ground it completely dissapears with a loud sound (looks like it teleported back to the combine world with breen) everyone is shocked on the ground celebrating that all the combine soldiers are dead and the citadel gone, all your friends are still alive as you meet new people like "samuel" who was suppose to be in the beta who says "wow that scared me for a sec, seeing that thing fall over and almost destroy a huge part of *he says what city 17 is really called* kleiner arrives with lamarr on his shoulder, and everyone talks about re-building everything. gman appears while everyone sees him, says alot of things while people mention his name like "yo bob, where have you been?" as gman tells you who he is and becomes "one of those people who follow you" and the game continues

You're joking right???

I'm hoping it's a satirical piece making fun of how people want Half-Life 2's plot to be more action packed and explicit rather than intelligent and hidden.

I'm hoping that was a joke too.

Can't believe I forgot something again... In some places, you can see the enemy through the space between a ladder and a tank, for example, but you can't shoot through it at all. As our computing power increases, maybe Valve should make the collision detection better.

Remove vehicle missions!!
they were TOO LONG and boring..
and add more levels like the last ones when ur in the city with striders and snipers..they were realy good!!
i agree with most of your suggestions but i like gordon quite :)

I disagree. The vehicle missions were a good way to break up the repetetiveness..(spelling??) of the on foot missions. One way to make them better, however, would be to make them so that you stay in the vehicle untill you get to a point where you can't use it anymore. Like when you reach Black Mesa East, you shouldn't have gotten out of the airboat untill you got there.

Only thing that bothers me is those damn scanners that come out of no where and take your picture, temporarily blinding you while you get shot at by combine soldiers : (

mmm i tihnk it should be on a nother train!!! like maybe the other 2 :O

Scanners = paparazzi.

Valve wants you to feel you're famous :)

The game really needs stealth. I'm a stealth oriented player. I'd much rather sneak by the combine then run in guns blazing. It really seems like Gordon would be the sneaking type as well. He's a scientist, not rambo. He'd be more likely to find cover, scope out the area ahead, and sneak through and avoid as much contact as possible. AI should not automatically see you. I should be able to sneak up to AI and kill them with a crowbar.

Also, yeah, I wish AI would circle strafe you instead of standing there and firing.

Most of all, I'd like the cross hair to become more and less accurate. You're most accurate when you're crouching, and still, and least when you're running. I hated seeing a combine soldier off in the distance and trying to snipe them with my pistol only to have to fire off 6 shots before I get lucky and hit his head.

MORE ALIENS.

I agree with pretty much all of the suggestions for improvements I've read in this thread so far. However, improvement to the AI is definately topping my wish list.

But what really strikes me is how Valve seems to be so much on top of everything -- honestly, the whole thing about the Gravity Gun is no less than amazing and simply not comparable to the rest of the game (which was good indeed)!

So my point is that when they are capable of creating that I believe that they are actually holding back their horses at the moment.

I expect to see a lot more coming up - soon... If it includes AI improvement, larger groups of enemies, more crazy weapons and even unimaginable stuff I don't know.

I just wanted to add some comments to already suggested improvements, so here we go:
1. Cone of fire/decreasing accuracy:
I do not agree, that removing a certain bullet spread would improve gameplay, imo it would totally devestate it. While its okay for games like DoD, CoD etc. it does not fit HL² action packed style of play.
Cone of fire forces you to pick the right weapons for each encounter, you cannot kill sb miles away with a sub on full auto and those weapons which are capable of killing over long distances are kept rare, because otherwise there would be no reason to close onto enemys. If there would be 100% accuraccy (or sth close to it), even with only the first shot, the AI should have the same capabilities, if they're not supposed to be easy prey, and i know for sure that its no fun getting killed by some hidden combine luckly shooting you with his uber-pistols-sniping-skills all the time, its frustratiting beeing killed without any chance to avoid it. Therefore things like this would slow HL down to some braindead mainstream realistic shooting gimmik.

2. AI:
IMO the HL² AI is not that bad, but most often it is not given the space to unfold versus the player and therefore seems a bit slow. Especially when facing pretty agressive playingstyles. While playing i've seen some really good moves by the AI, especially if you build up a map with a few crates and lots of hiding spaces it can be pretty fun to watch the AI, and there even seems to be squad based AI, yeah but then again somehow it cannot always unfold its potential ingame.
Another point maybe that most of us regular gamers here are used to be playing versus humans with pretty fast moving patterns and deadly aim, therefore its quite logical that killing NPCs which are desinged with a broader audience in mind is not the same challange, it would be overkill for new players.

...nightmare mode anyone? :cool:

I want to echo most of the above
-better ai for enemies especially so they provide a real challenge in combat and each engagement feels livid, frantic and fun. Larger map areas to allow ai shine by flanking, suppressing fire, squad tactics and nading and utilising cover
-more weapons with different properties for different situations. No one weapon can be used for long as a different situation or enemy requires different tactics
-the hl2 grenades were awful, weak with a really long fuse and little bounce when you throw them at walls
-accuracy should work both ways, if your weapons become more lethal then enemies also benefit forcing gordon to use cover and flanking
-more huge set pieces like in hl1 fighting multiple enemy types at once. So memorable and exciting. eg in hl2 you never got to fight combine supported by striders and gunships at the same time
-overhaul steam - connecting to the net to play hl2 every time was ridiculous
-make vehicles more optional eg take an apc into combat or go on foot
-integrate facial animations and idle animations for friendlies and the latter for enemies
-more choice in completing a mission like far-crys mission bubble where you could take multiple paths and take out enemies in multiple inventive ways

HL2 was excellent but there is plenty of room for improvement - hope valve take comments on board as most are identical

Yes, I agree that the accuracy shouldn't be 100% accurate. I'm not sure about decreasing it though. I think for currently invented weapons, it should be the actual spread, bullet drop, fire-rate, etc. But for made-up weapons, it should all depend on how good and powerful it's supposed to be, and how rare it'll be...

I also agree about the grenades, fuse was too long. Although it gave you a chance to throw grenades back at the Combine, it gave the Combine too long to get into cover. Although your squad seems to spend the whole 7 seconds running in circles around the grenade and sitting on it. If it is to be such a long fuse, I think we should be allowed to bleed it off, like in HL1. And if there is a gravity gun, be able to attach it to the gravity gun and fire for long distance shots. I often had to roll the grenade, then pick it up with the gravity gun, then throw it, which doesn't give the Combine time to run, but doesn't leave enough time for long distance shots...

About the vehicles... I agree that you should be able to choose whether to use it or not. And the level designs were too linear. Most of it was spent taking blind detours (knowing that you'll get where you want anyway), and making seesaw jumps... I was also disappointed that I couldn't fly the chopper, or drive the apc. More choices on how to fight the enemy, and more choices of paths to get from point A to B (ie, less linearity in level design, discussed before) are fairly important to me.

About the AI. I agree with .casper that there should be stealth. But I still believe that the player can make the choice of what tactic they want to use, and what they want the squad to do.

Also, AI should be realistic. I think Valve got a bit carried away with the entity output/input thing, which allows certain npc's to do something when something happens (ie you go somewhere). It was effective and scary for the poison zombies, but really pissed me off with the combine. Sometimes they had an unrealistic ability to know where you were, and sometimes, you were right under their nose and they didn't know (because you hadn't passed through the output point on the map yet).

It would be good to have larger areas for combat. Although the map looks big and a lot of area is rendered, what you can actually travel on is most of the time, a narrow, twisted (but linear) path. I've tried stacking some crates to get over the embankment things that box you in, but, even though I should be able to hop on, an invisible barrier was blocking me.

I think both the squad and enemy (intelligent ones, that is) should have lots of different tactics and coordinated attacks under their belts, to use in the right situations, depending on area, cover, enemy, numbers, weapons, etc... Your squad should also automatically change their tactics depending on what you do. ie, if you start crawling quietly towards the enemy (you should be able to crawl and not just crouch), then they also go into stealth mode and don't shoot on sight. If you rush in rambo style, guns blazing, then they either all join in, or half do and the other half shoot when the rest reload (depends on whether you can finish the enemy in one burst). If you lob a grenade to flush the enemy out, then the squad should get ready to pick them off, rather than mill about.

However, you should also have a manual override to the squad's automatic decisions, to give you more control. A few keys to toggle what state their in, what kind of tactics or coordinated attacks to use. For example, sometimes, you might want to go stealth but have your squad stay and fire at the enemy, to distract them while you creep up behind them and take them out (should be another melee weapons, like a knife you can use to stab or throw), etc...

I think Valve's map output and input system was pretty clever, and effective for map objects (ie, now possible to make lights turn on/off depending on where you are, etc). But I don't think it is so good for characters. I think what characters do should be more situation based, rather than map input/output based.

Good work guys! We've got quite a solid bunch of suggestions. I just hope Valve reads these, and takes them on board.

if we hide they should trow nades at us.

They never did that to you? They must've flushed me out with grenades at least 3 times on my first playthrough.

all the time for me, i'd hide behind a corner and see a grenade roll around.. oh s-

I was reading some thread yesterday and was lead to a pre half life 2 release interview with a Valve guy (can't remember his name or where I read it). But when questioned, he said that HL2 would give many more ways to do things and kill enemies, there would not be a golden path.

However, when I played it, there was almost always a linear path. The only choice was which generator to destroy first in that big museum/library thing. Did I miss something or did they decide to make the final release more linear?

Personally, I like CS's method of accuracy. While it's not very accurate in terms of real life, for video games it's pretty damn good. The first two or three shots will go right in the middle of the crosshair, and then recoil becomes too much to handle without compensation.

I'd also like to see more non-action bits, like Kleiner's Lab/Eli's Lab. I don't even want plot exposition, but something slower. I also wouldn't mind a few more inventive squad battles. Like helping out a squad of trapped allies by taking a team and flanking the attackers.

I found the interview I was talking about at http://archive.gamespy.com/interviews/july03/halflife2/index2.shtml. Here's the quote:

GameSpy: Instead of being merely linear with only one absolute path, Half-Life 2 gives numerous possible ways of completing key objectives and getting through tough situations, some of which are not all that intuitive. What went into figuring out all the different ways to accomplish these goals? Do you fear that players might try something so unique that it could result in them disrupting later gameplay -- such as blocking a key escape route or possibly killing a friendly AI?

Doug Lombardi: There are a couple of things that you touch on. Number one is that we have really strong feelings to make sure that the game isn't too hard for any skill level of player. We always want to make sure that there is a pathway for the absolute beginner and a way for that person to succeed. If we block the way for someone of that skill set we've failed as game designers. That's one thing.

The other thing is that we've got much bigger map sizes, and that allows us to create more pathways rather than just having the one "golden pathway" for competition of a level. And, some of the areas are a bit more complex when you first encounter them, and we very much encourage the player to interact with them rather than just take it "Rambo-style" and run and gun his way through it. We very much want to reward the player for thinking creatively and how they want to problem-solve the puzzles.

I really can't remember much choice in doing things. There were a few choices in Sandtraps and Follow Freeman, but most of it was linear right? Or did I miss something?

And yeah, you could choose to use a pistol, shotgun, or smg, etc to kill an enemy, but you really didn't have any choice to coordinate attacks, especially since your squad just fired on sight and you can't really ambush a group of Combine on your own, can you?

Uh, you can. That's what most of your weapons are for. Ambushing!

Anyway... you're right. There was only one pathway. But there were multiple ways of clearing that pathway (unfortunantly the stealth occupation generally dosn't exist).

Still, no chance for co-ordination with AI... pretty basic squad command, Valve...

Really? I thought ambushing was forcing/luring your enemy into a corner or trap, then killing them. But, I found the Combine too suicidal to force them back into a corner or something, and there weren't satchels and claymores to trap them with... And you can't exactly lure them when your squad is firing at them, and if you lure them to where you are on your own, I think you'd have more problems than the Combine, unless you use the plasma core (which is rare).

I'm hoping they give us more weapon variety, expecially unconventional ones or trap type weapons.

Also, about the barnacle. I think it could seriously be made a bit more dangerous. In HL1 and HL2, all you had to do if you got caught was pull out your crowbar and give a whack, which made them more of an annoyance than a dangerous enemy, and not very fun when the explosive barrels ran out. It could pull you up a bit quicker, or have poison barbs on its tongue like a jellyfish's tentacles... Evolved to catch earth's creatures.

Still, no chance for co-ordination with AI... pretty basic squad command, Valve...

By that, did you mean that you couldn't coordinate attacks in HL2, or that there's no chance to convince Valve to implement it?

The problem with every 'better AI' request is that it would take an ungodly amount of time not just to code, but to map. Mapping all the entities and relationships for the AI is already a pain in the ass.

I understand most of the comments here, but it seems that a lot of people want to completely change the gameplay. For example, while a changing recticle (sp?) size works in games like Rainbow Six, it would seem kinda out of place in a game where you spend most your time alone. I know that I'd rather worry about getting behind cover as fast as possible instead of worrying how running effects my aim.

For the AI, it's not real, but it's pretty damn good for a computer game, probably one of the best. Especially when you consider that you can change the playing field by tossing objects into it, and that this can block/open node paths which must change how the enemies respond. As for the self preservation aspects, it makes sense that the trans-human, combine-controlled soldiers respond more like the puppets they are. I'm sure that the combine probably removed all those useless emotions such as fear of death, and since they have a seemingly infinite supply, aren't afraid to send them in waves to their death.

Consider if they did make all these changes. Now 1) you can't shoot with any accuracy unless you crouch in place and fire one shot at a time 2) the enemy works with perfect teamwork, never exposes itself and lets its own grenades bleed off so you can't chunk them back. Basically the game would consist of snipers and hovering gunships keeping you from moving while soldiers rolled 1 second grenades into your hiding spot.

Maybe some of you hard-core 24-7 FPS players might enjoy this, but there are a lot of people who enjoy playing games for the quick, shoot-em-up action. Additionally, due to helicopter flight, you would need a 5-GHz computer with 1-GB graphics card and 4-GB RAM to render the entire landscape, or have load pauses every 10 seconds. Plus you'd have to model the entire earth cause there aren't any leeches to keep helicopters from flying away.

I also find it funny that you complain about weapon realism and then have someone complaining about grenades not bouncing enough. In real life grenades are heavy and metal. Try throwing a soda can at a wall. It hits and then drops. Real life grenades do not bounce much and are not supposed to, otherwise you would not be able to do any precision placement. Also, grenades are not that strong in real life. Since most the damage is caused by shrapnel, it is possible to stand 5 feet away from an exploding grenade and by untouched, or to stand 100 feet away and be killed by a high speed piece of metal. Also, there is a true story of a soldier throwing himself onto a grenade and being thrown several feet into the air. His teammates were untouched and he survived with only a few cracked ribs because his bulletproof vest took all the force. So Valve finally does something right and people complain about that too?

Some specific stuff:
"more huge set pieces like in hl1 fighting multiple enemy types at once" -I don't ever remember fighting multiple enemy types at once. The one time there were both soldiers and a tank you could come up behind the tank and fight only soldiers.

Actually, I didn't really think the enemy AI was bad, just that the friendlies were a lot dumber by comparison. And I said the player should be allowed to bleed off grenades, not the enemy.

They already reduce LOD (level of detail) for distant objects, they could do the same for when you're moving fast, like in a chopper. Besides, our computers will be better when HL3 comes out.

As to AI requiring an ungodly amount of time to code: They've already made most of the engine, so tweaking it shouldn't be that hard, considering how many people and money they should have now. And more situation based AI means modders' lives will be easier, because they don't need to do as much with the maps.

I want more unconventional weapons. I especialy want a teleport gun like in OP4.

Enemy AI was adequate but uninspiring.
Ant lions were fun because they were basically used as cannon fodder.
Squadmate AI was frustrating as all hell much of the time, especially in close quarters.

I would like to see enemy and Squad AI improved for HL3 (if, indeed, you get a squad), a greater variety of enemies and a greater variety of 'exotic' weaponry.

Admittedly the weaponry may be wasted if the grav-gun is still available. Once I got the grav-gun I rarely used anything else.

You really mainly used the grav gun? I only used it on zombies, headcrabs and turrets. Most other enemies carried guns, so I could refill the ammo I used on them. I would like to see some unconventional weapons too, but also a mix of slightly realistic weapons. Don't have anything too weird that it's unplayable.

In response to Yangman, I don't think that the AI is part of the game engine. If that was the case it would be extremely difficult to change anything without having the "Source" code (pun intended). Situational conditioning is much harder to program than nodal programming.

However, I would like to see some better AI scripted things like falling. After playing G-mod it seems that anytime you knocked a platform out from under an enemy it was a scripted sequence that killed them. It would be easy to measure the distance below, see if they would die, then ragdoll them, then the player could knock them off cliffs and stuff.

Get rid of more of the complex puzzle or jumping tasks. Half-Life did it great with everything else. But some parts to go through really sucked for me. I just don't want to buy a strategy guide or use noclip mode at times. The puzzle and jumping are kind of a trademark. But it is also a pain in the ass.

No one's saying that programming this is easy, but judging by what Valve has achieved so far, and the experience and resources they now have, I don't think it is entirely out of their reach.

About the complex puzzle tasks. There should be different ways to solve a puzzle or get out of a room or get somewhere, but make it so that sometimes the most obvious and upfront easy path might be filled with more zombies and danger, or whatever. But of course, don't make it so that the most obvious path is ALWAYS the worst choice, and etc, as that will just make it a linear and brainless exercise again.

Back