HL2.net TF2 Server- Ill pay for it.

arch5

Spy
Reaction score
Ok, I noticed that hl2.net is looking for a TF2 server, and I thought it would be fun for the community to play together. I'm getting a 16-Slot TF2 server from a reliable provider setup, with all the default TF2 Maps, a few custom maps here n there, maybe 1-2 surf maps, and mani admin plugin.

I'll pay for it, with my own personal money.
All I need now is permission from the *Person in Charge*, the admin, or whoever I would need approval for this- to change the hostname to "HL2.net Official TF2 Server".

All I need is permission, and from minute's notice of permission I can have this server up and running today or tomorrow.

From the way my money looks, I can currently pay for about 1-2 Months of a 16-Slot TF2 Server. So what do you say?

Instant respawn is absolutely horrible tbh.

Please, for the love of all things holy, do not modify the respawn times. They're there for a reason.

Instant respawn is horrible. Does "all the default TF2 maps" include the arena maps?

Instant respawn is horrible. Does "all the default TF2 maps" include the arena maps?

Ok, no instant respawn.

SledgeHammer: Yes, that includes the arena maps.

Now.....where is teh permizzi0n? I can haz it pl0x.
If for some reason you can't read l33t speak, I said "Where is the permission? Can I have it please?"

Where's the location of the server going to be?

"HL2.net Official TF2 Server"

No.

"HL2.net Unofficial TF2 Server"

Yes (although "Unofficial HL2.net TF2 Server" would sound better, it would make it harder to find).

The reason: The term "Official" makes one assume that the website in question (or staff members thereof) were hosting it. An official server would be representing our community and would put a lot of responsibility on the server admin. Don't take it personally, but we can't just have anybody do that. Also, we've had many members host a server in the past (and maybe still are) and it wouldn't be fair to them.

Now with that said, it would be awesome if you hosted an unofficial server for the community. It gets slower around here between game releases, and free advertisement is good advertisement! Just keep in mind that the average dedicated server hosting isn't cheap. I could only keep mine running for a few months. I've never personally ran a TF2 server before, but I'm pretty experienced with the Source Dedicated Server (SRCDS) on both Windows and Linux. So let me know if you need any help.

Wait--Arena and regular rotation? Doomed to failure. Never works.

Let's Vote!

Where's the location of the server going to be?

California, by default. I live in Georgia BUT iv'e had a Gmod server hosted in CA by the same host i'm using for the TF2 server, and it wasn't very laggy.
------------------------------------------------
Anyway,
I will have to call it "HL2.net Unofficial TF2 Server".

I'm ready to click the "Create Server" button on the host's website anytime now, but I'm gonna start a vote.
EDIT: One more thing, should I add spawn protection? (for about 3 seconds)

**** voting, Im starting up the server.

Do me a favour and leave everything but the map options vanilla. Game balance is Game Balance, you know?

Do me a favour and leave everything but the map options vanilla. Game balance is Game Balance, you know?

By that you mean...only do regular maps? lol :p

P.S. Im trying to checkout the server, but for some odd reason the host has temporarily disabled checkout due to maintenance.

Also- everybody add me on steam so I can tell you when the server is up, my steam name is "LOLPancake"

Didn't we try this before? I seem to remember me and Pesh being the heads...and that failed rather hard.

Didn't we try this before? I seem to remember me and Pesh being the heads...and that failed rather hard.

fromtheinternet-thumb-300x400.jpg

Don't worry, I'm an experienced admin, and I know who will deserves/will get admin when it's up and running.
EDIT: Damn, the checkout is STILL disabled. Hmm.....

It wasn't a matter of admin/server status. it was a matter of it was popular for a couple of weeks, then nobody really played on it. Less "I'm an experienced admin" as if that will affect the server output. Well, unless it's instant respawn, then you will probably fill it up...with all the wrong people.

It wasn't a matter of admin/server status. it was a matter of it was popular for a couple of weeks, then nobody really played on it. Less "I'm an experienced admin" as if that will affect the server output. Well, unless it's instant respawn, then you will probably fill it up...with all the wrong people.

I know what to do to keep a TF2 server popular and up and running.

Have good admins, make sure the game is going smooth, ban all the douchebags, and most importantly, add custom maps.

Or, some alternate guidelines:

1) Actually play in the server - so bans and proper admin control can actually occur.
2) Don't appeal to the masses - no instant respawn, no custom maps.

If the server's empty, get a few friends together and join, then wait a few minutes. Patience is a virtue, and it keeps servers alive.

Or, some alternate guidelines:

1) Actually play in the server - so bans and proper admin control can actually occur.
2) Don't appeal to the masses - no instant respawn, no custom maps.

If the server's empty, get a few friends together and join, then wait a few minutes. Patience is a virtue, and it keeps servers alive.

I guess the big thing that failed on the servers was having 2. One for UK, one for US. Every time we'd try to get together, there would be a huge bitch fest about lag ruining the game. I guess if there is only 1 server and people won't bitch, it might work out. But at most, we'd get 10 people in the server for under 30 minutes and it went downhill from there.

*EDIT*

I know what to do to keep a TF2 server popular and up and running.

Have good adminsHad em., make sure the game is going smoothGames were fine., ban all the douchebagsThankfully nobody needed to be banned., and most importantly, add custom maps.I leave servers with custom maps most cases. I look around communities to find the actual decent ones. If I find one I don't recognize on a server, I'll quit and look it up. 99% of the time it's shit.

I really don't think I wanna do the server anymore.

I really don't think I wanna do the server anymore.

That didn't take long? Why stop? If it's successful, hell yes. If not, drop it after a month. That's only, what, 20 bucks?

That didn't take long? Why stop? If it's successful, hell yes. If not, drop it after a month. That's only, what, 20 bucks?
It's not that. It's the point that I do stuff like this and I get compared to a ****ing troll.

Oh, I get it, you're trolling us right now.

>< *facepalm* lol

EDIT: Meh...I guess ill get the server up once checkout is enabled again.

Goodbye.

Well, I can see you guys don't want me here.

So your wish is coming true, I'm leaving.

I'm sure machinima.com would love their very own clan server.

Cya.

So what were you expecting? Us to all beg you for the server and kneel before you. If you provide a server then that's great if not who cares there are thousands out there. If machinima want one more than by all means give it em.

1.) Don't get butthurt on the internet man, it will never end well.

2.) Guys, stfu. "I HATE HIM HE'S SO STUPID CAUSE HE POSTS PICTURES I DON'T LIKE" Yeah, ok.

Alright Guys-
I'm sorry for being a troll. I looked back at my posts, and I realized that I went too far.
I'm also sorry for nearly phailing the image dump thread, well- I hope at least one of you guys thought 1 of my pics was at least a little bit funny.
I'll still be here sometimes helping people out with PC problems and HL1/HL2 issues.

Do you guys forgive me?

Don't apologize. Just go on with your day. Who gives a shit if some e-thugs hate you? Let them be armchair bullies.

A lot of Hl2.netters seem to act this way towards new people. Granted, a lot of new people act immature and post some stupid stuff. Just ignore them and don't try to act too annoying :D. Keep the number of new threads to a minimum. I for one like the idea of a server that we can all play on, but I'm not sure how well it will work out.

Back