HL2 SDK Realease?

Cleric

Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone had any info on when the HL2 SDK would be released to the general public?

Me and a few mates are thinking of starting a mod but want to get a feel of the SDK before we finalise anything. I get the feeling tho that if you dont have a mod setup or something you will be one of the last to get it ;(

The SDK will b e released before the game ships. However a few chosen modder groups have already recieved it from valve.

i know its before the game ships but that is quite a long way away.

august.. more detailed info about the date is not know

Some people already have SDK, but I bet they are people like DOD team and etc.

Originally posted by Dile
The SDK will b e released before the game ships. However a few chosen modder groups have already recieved it from valve.

Who?

Trusted, well know mod makers who would have a lot more to lose by leaking it than theyd gain.

wow...dod huh? how many times has it been said that dod is NOT porting to the hl2 engine. at least not yet.

Some Dev teams are deffo working with the new Tech just not sure who ;)

Cant realy be long now before they release it to the public..Steam is gonna be buisy i think :)

Im glad there giving SDK to the modders, this way the mods will be out sooner =)

Im not a mod maker or anything but persay if the valve released the sdk today would people be able to start ACTUALL work on hl2 mods?

Originally posted by Shockwave
Im not a mod maker or anything but persay if the valve released the sdk today would people be able to start ACTUALL work on hl2 mods?

I think they would be able to start making maps and stuff.

Originally posted by GOoch
Hammer..

basicley to build maps for HL2 ..

AFAIK it's not Hammer, Hammer isn't part of the SDK, the SDK is so you can actually create C++ code and make a full featured mod, not simply a level creation/editor utility, Hammer for source will be released with the game.

There's bound to be something interesting in the SDK even for us non-modders, anxiously awaiting any glimpse into HL2. The current SDK is aimed at both level designers and full modders, so likely the same applies?

I'm thinking that it will include the tools for importing models/textures/and animations in as well. And I think the map tool will be released with the SDK, not jsut the game....

Originally posted by SidewinderX143
I'm thinking that it will include the tools for importing models/textures/and animations in as well. And I think the map tool will be released with the SDK, not jsut the game....

according to what i've read on VERC the SDK is coming out sometime in august, and Hammer editor will ship with the game, also with the game there will be a light version of maya for models, but the SDK and Hammer are seperate entities. and frankly i'd choose to trust the word of VERC over anyone on this forum :) VERC is a site valve has and it has tons of modding/mapping resources, a bunch of valve guys actually actively post on the VERC forum.

well if VERC said that it was shipping with a lite version of maya, why would you belive anyhting else?

The game ships with Softimage|XSI EXP, the free versin od XSI.
e-mail gabe about it.

Originally posted by SidewinderX143
well if VERC said that it was shipping with a lite version of maya, why would you belive anyhting else?

The game ships with Softimage|XSI EXP, the free versin od XSI.
e-mail gabe about it.

oops my bad, i always get those 3d apps confused, alias wavefront maya, lightwave, avid softimage xsi blah.

anyways yes game shipping with light version of softimage, and hammer.

sdk being put out sooner(august-ish(?)), does not include hammer editor.

Originally posted by GOoch
Hammer..

basicley to build maps for HL2 ..
more than hammer is included in the sdk.. lol... have you ever used the hl sdk?

Back