HL2-soon-to-be-website's "birds"...

E

epsil0n

hey i know this topic was mentioned but i just took a quick look over the pic that munro posted and again looked at those "birds"....did anyone notice that the one closest to the viewer has 4 wings? look closely and you can tell that the right wing is split up into two portions. maybe its a glitch or an artifact, but i dont know.. both sides if inspected closely resemble four wings total.. perhaps valve DID release something new b4 E3? :cool: ... just a lil thought i had to throw out there

(p.s. heres the link for those of you who are lazy :))
http://www.halflife2.net/preview.jpg

-Epsil0n

I highly doubt it. Like the misaligned combine machinegun muzzle flash, it's the result of a screenshot of an object in motion, and shadows or double images are not unusual. When you see it at full speed, it looks normal.

FictiousWill said:
I highly doubt it. Like the misaligned combine machinegun muzzle flash, it's the result of a screenshot of an object in motion, and shadows or double images are not unusual. When you see it at full speed, it looks normal.

true, very true... but also take a look at the fact that BOTH those "birds" have thicker wings at the end.... in other words their wings are skinny as sticks halfway until it seperated into possibly two or just one fat wing at the end.... if it is indeed an artifact it is a curious one because BOTH birds suffer from it.

-Epsil0n

They do seem to be odd silhouettes. Maybe there will be some sort of bat monster in the game, like the flying mantas that you only see at the end of HL1.

Yea if it had 4 wings with both aligned on each side (ie the x-wings ,wing look)it would not be able to fly, physics on earth restrict it, but if its wings were setup like a dragonflys than its quit possible,but than again the dargonflys wing construction only works cause of its small size, so something as large as those birds would not work, also one other thing bothered me in the barricade video when the gunship flys over the eletric wires they whip around alot, here in central ohio today we had 50-65 mph winds and i watched the electric wires they hardly move,Are europes electric wires cheaper? or did they just not get this right or is the alien gunship just putting out alotta wind force.time will tell i guess

Impulse147 said:
Yea if it had 4 wings with both aligned on each side (ie the x-wings ,wing look)it would not be able to fly, physics on earth restrict it, but if its wings were setup like a dragonflys than its quit possible,but than again the dargonflys wing construction only works cause of its small size, so something as large as those birds would not work

I'm not going to speculate on what the things in the image are... but I will post this.

Four-winged dinosaur fossils

More like gliders... but, eh.

Yea it says they glide, also if u look at how different the earth was 5500-6500 yrs ago the atomsphere and gravity has changed. also it says four feathered wing, all that could mean was it had a wing bone behind the other and the feathers overlapped each other so there probably moving together for longer gliding time

i cant believe there is so much hype over some tiny birds.
for starters, wasnt that picture released ages ago, as a render, or concept art?
i could go on but, why?

Impulse147 said:
Yea it says they glide, also if u look at how different the earth was 5500-6500 yrs ago the atomsphere and gravity has changed. also it says four feathered wing, all that could mean was it had a wing bone behind the other and the feathers overlapped each other so there probably moving together for longer gliding time

Gravity on Earth wasn't different 5500-6500 years ago, I can guarantee that. The atmosphere has only really changed a bit in the past 100 years, and that's because of humans. Those things existed 130000000 years ago. :cheese:

Well Sry but i only believe the earth is about 6500 yrs old, but lets not debate over that, but actaully the earth has slowed down thats why things that are 5,000 yrs old seem millions of yrs old today. yea but from the look of the photo it doesn't have x-wing type wings. all it does is has a second set of wings overlapping its first, therefore extra gliding distance.and 1 yard is quite small, and the HL2 look things look huge.

Heh, no I'm pretty sure gravity hasn't changed in the past 5,000 years... I can't really see Mesopotamians jumping around with Mars physics.

Impulse147 said:
Well Sry but i only believe the earth is about 6500 yrs old, but lets not debate over that, but actaully the earth has slowed down thats why things that are 5,000 yrs old seem millions of yrs old today. yea but from the look of the photo it doesn't have x-wing type wings. all it does is has a second set of wings overlapping its first, therefore extra gliding distance.and 1 yard is quite small, and the HL2 look things look huge.

er... huge? lol.. theyre tiny specs.. for all we know that pic COULD be of dragonflies.. its in the distance and just a poor, small picture.. so it could be the size of a 747 so discussing the physical impossibilities is kinda pointless.. i was just trying to bring up the fact that the odd structure of the "Bird" might mean it just isnt that, and that its possibly something else we havent seen? ive heard rumors that the headcrabs can fly this time around, whether theres any truth in that, idk and im not about to go look for tha article i read that in :)... it was just something that i never saw until soemone pointed it out a couple of posts ago and when i looked closer i was all "wait a tick! that doesnt look like any bird ive ever seen!".. so yea..

oh and to whoever said this was hype...its not.. its called discussion and speculation :E

-Epsil0n

oh and uh.. since i had a lil free time ::system clock reads 2 am..::

i took the liberty of firing up that half a decade old game and taking some snapshots of the theory "Mechagodzilla" had, hehe

from a distance they do resemble a bird kinda.. :E

those "mantas" kinda look like manta rays...and if they fly anything like a manta ray swims.. then when viewing from behind it would make perfect sense why the tips of their wings would appear larger than the beginning. (they glide and their wings wave up and down in a motion that would resemble holding your arm out of a car and doing that whole "riding the air" child experiment... leaving your arm the same thickness, but rotating your palm etc...)

job well done or no? hehe :)
heres the pics :

-Epsil0n

Attachments

• mantassmall.jpg
    mantassmall.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 404
  • mantasfar.jpg
    mantasfar.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 368
Could they be just f*cking birds? Come on, we look desperate analyzing every small piece of info...
Not everything has a deeper meaning, and SOMETIMES it just IS what it seems.

Guys, we've seen plenty of birds in the video's, and they're a common sight in City-17, so what reason is there to think these are more than birds? Ofcourse, they could be l33t aliens0rz, but at the moment there is no reason to think otherwise than they're just friggin birds.

Impulse147 said:

Sorry, have to disagree with you on that. The rotational speed of the earth (and yes it's slowing down, just a couple of million years and we have one hour extra per day, whoop-dee-doo) hasn't got anything to do with dating the earth. Dating is amongst other methods done with isotope half-lives, and they are not influenced by ANYTHING.
The earth is approx 4,5 billion years old. FACT.

PvtRyan said:
Could they be just f*cking birds? Come on, we look desperate analyzing every small piece of info...
Not everything has a deeper meaning, and SOMETIMES it just IS what it seems.

Guys, we've seen plenty of birds in the video's, and they're a common sight in City-17, so what reason is there to think these are more than birds? Ofcourse, they could be l33t aliens0rz, but at the moment there is no reason to think otherwise than they're just friggin birds.

i took a second look and yes they do look to be a bird. almost like those seagulls u sea in the bird. at least i think it saw them in HL2 movies. but it depends on if the birds are close to the camera or really big next to the Combine,

Pitbul said:
i took a second look and yes they do look to be a bird. almost like those seagulls u sea in the bird. at least i think it saw them in HL2 movies. but it depends on if the birds are close to the camera or really big next to the Combine,

I think they were added to give some point of reference to see how big the tower is. From the picture itself it's not clear that it's even a building if you haven't seen it in other screenshots (I think there's still some guy in Africa that hasn't seen them), it could be a pc midi tower for all you know.
But by adding birds, you can figure out that it's a huge building on the background.
If you get what I'm trying to convey (not sure how to put it)

well from the look of it, it looks like the Combine thats slowly "eating" the city. and when i saw the Combine in the strider movie, it looks pretty freakin huge to me.

Pitbul said:
well from the look of it, it looks like the Combine thats slowly "eating" the city. and when i saw the Combine in the strider movie, it looks pretty freakin huge to me.

Yeah I know. But what I was trying (I've failed I see) to say that without a point of reference like those birds, it's not clear that it's a huge building for people who don't recognize the combine tower. Without the birds it could be as small as a pc case for all you know.

Wow I thought I was going blind trying to find what you guys were talking about but finally found it. It could be birds but they also could be two scratch marks put there in between to fill the gap, kind of evens it out, but who knows.. :) cool thread btw :thumbs:

impulse is talkin hrough his arse :/ those just look like birds to me :p

This thread has it all - from creationism vs evolution to bats and birds. You should charge for admittance.

They arent birds thats for sure! Birds dont hang on thier wings like that. The only flying creature on this planet that fly's like that are bats

if you look at this picture
http://www.hillcountryadventures.com/Corrin2.jpg

then you see some very close resemblance in thier fleying position.

birds dont fly like that. anyway I think it could be simply bats that valve has put in it but seeing bats fly during day time is a bit strange. they normaly show up around dusk

anyway

I dont think they are birds. and my uncle who is a experienced bird watcher thinks the same.
yes its a game so it might not be acurate. but if they spend thoussand of dollars in reasearching human faces etc and animations then I think they will make sure all the animations are lifelike. even the animations for the animals

I think there flying headcrabs... they kind of look like those things out of Unreal.

ok, well lets step back for a second and assume theyre giant bat like creatures or something else similar. how cool would that be to fight some of those? i mean that would be mega if you were jumping from rooftop to rooftop with 4 of those things on your tail. man would that be fun.

Impulse147 said:
Yea it says they glide, also if u look at how different the earth was 5500-6500 yrs ago the atomsphere and gravity has changed.

:x

umm you might want to rethink that.

EDIT: 6500 yrs?

what?

?

wha???

/dies

kaf11 said:
ok, well lets step back for a second and assume theyre giant bat like creatures or something else similar. how cool would that be to fight some of those? i mean that would be mega if you were jumping from rooftop to rooftop with 4 of those things on your tail. man would that be fun.

hell yeah! And seeing them take one of your nades in the chest and fall down onto the streets

I could VERY possibly be wrong, but I think gravity might have actually changed. IIRC, the moon used to be a lot "bigger" a million+ years ago, meaning it was a lot closer than it is now (the gravitational pull slowly weakens and the moon slowly swings further and further away). If the moon were closer, wouldn't that mean the gravity was even more? Like I said, I could be wrong, so don't kill me.
/me takes cover

umop said:
I could VERY possibly be wrong, but I think gravity might have actually changed. IIRC, the moon used to be a lot "bigger" a million+ years ago, meaning it was a lot closer than it is now (the gravitational pull slowly weakens and the moon slowly swings further and further away). If the moon were closer, wouldn't that mean the gravity was even more? Like I said, I could be wrong, so don't kill me.
/me takes cover

no, Tides would be more influenced thats about it.

but the moon was never realy cose enough for a noticable effect

IE. you fall 60 foot and dont die or you could kick a football 3 times further than now.

I have a theory that when the earth was "forming" a giant meteor or another planer colided with it and the "discharge" formed the moon.

Is that a new hl2 design :eek: but I like the current one :(

You cant really tell how many wings they have, the animations to quick :X

lol whoa this post went a long way for my first one evar here :E

but yea.. they very well could be birds.. i just thought id raise the subject.

to whoever said that they were used as a point of reference i highly agree with that, makes alot of sense. but now.. guess theres so many doubting peeps im just gonna have to spend my hours looking for that ONE sentence about flying headcrabs this time around .. hehe

valve is known for their eastereggs (toilets, anyone? ::lafs::) so i thought that they either slipped up or got cute if those were indeed something other than a bird.

oh and.. impulse.... 6,500 ?.......-_-.... dude.. ever heard of early civilizations? i.e. mesopotamians, egyptians, sumarians? were not even gonna go into the whole caveman / lucy era....ehehe.. were talking scientifically proved without doubt through artifacts dna etc etc that they lived b4 what you "believe" was the creation of earth. hehehe..sry to burst that bubble, bro.. oh yea.. and FYI the world is round as well :)

-Epsil0n

Dougy said:
no, Tides would be more influenced thats about it.

but the moon was never realy cose enough for a noticable effect

IE. you fall 60 foot and dont die or you could kick a football 3 times further than now.

I have a theory that when the earth was "forming" a giant meteor or another planer colided with it and the "discharge" formed the moon.

actually.. just to help ya out there... more specifically the common thing that modern day astronomers agree on is that the moon is actually the DUST and DIRT particles blown up out of the atmosphere DUE to a meteor strike.
just thought id throw that one in there :)

-Epsil0n

Tork said:
Wow I thought I was going blind trying to find what you guys were talking about but finally found it. It could be birds but they also could be two scratch marks put there in between to fill the gap, kind of evens it out, but who knows.. cool thread btw

teehee... thanks bro :E :cheers:

Iconoclast said:
This thread has it all - from creationism vs evolution to bats and birds. You should charge for admittance.

::thinks hard::......hmm..naaaww.. hehe :)
just happy that im finally contributing to discussion instead of just observing (what ive done roughly twice a day since last august....)

::notices no admin has welcomed me yet like they usually always do... ;( ::

-Epsil0n

epsil0n said:
actually.. just to help ya out there... more specifically the common thing that modern day astronomers agree on is that the moon is actually the DUST and DIRT particles blown up out of the atmosphere DUE to a meteor strike.
just thought id throw that one in there :)

-Epsil0n

Not really a meteor strike... More like an oblique strike by a planetesimal the size of Mars. The rocky crust of the planetesimal was ejected into space while it's iron core sank to the center of the Earth. The rock accreted to form the moon.

Earth isn't the only planet in Sol that was hit by planetesimals... Venus was flipped upsidedown and both Uranus and Pluto were turned on their sides.

wait a minute, did no-one hear me? they are just birds!

Back