HL2-soon-to-be-website's "birds"...

Wesisapie said:
wait a minute, did no-one hear me? they are just birds!

lol.. aye aye.. but as chimp here stated.. they are STRANGE birds....... :cool:
::cue x files theme music..::

hehehe
-Epsil0n

I can't believe you guys, no matter how small some stuff is you start a helluva discussion.

:D

moppe said:
Say ONE reason that makes them strange birds.

well besides what EVIL posted earlier.. take one look at this pic and try to find ONE single bird on this planet that has wings like this. even if those are actually only two wings a piece and not four... what wing structure remains, regardless of flight pose, to start out skinny as a stick and fat at the end with a hude difference in thickness like some insects? bare in mind that BOTH birds have the same exact type of wing...so the chances of this being a motion blur issue when theyre two different objects at two different locations ..are pretty rare. and even then both their left wings look the same as well.

any ideas?? im not saying its for sure theyre not birds.. im just saying that from what we can see it looks like no bird ive ever seen.

-Epsil0n
Note: updated another MUCH closer look.

Their position is nothing unusual if you look at the docks video for example. You can see them doing this type of movement several times. That they have their wings spread doesn't mean they float on their wings all the time, but they're just in that position of the swing like that when the picture was 'taken'.
The weird body form can be found in my attachment too. And if you look at the docks, you can see multiple positions that resemble the hl2 site preview.

I still think it's an artistic addition to make the picture look more filled and to give some point of reference how large the combine tower is in the background.
It would be an odd way to introduce new aliens right? And I doubt Gabe would reply with 'yes they're new aliens'.

They are just paintings, a few brush strokes, be they digital or traditional, to show its a bird in flight

Some of you are looking TOO far into things :(

I think the "birds" will give us the answer on the release date of HL2....you just have to look closer... :p

Fenric said:
They are just paintings, a few brush strokes, be they digital or traditional, to show its a bird in flight

Some of you are looking TOO far into things :(

/me claims innocence

What if they're the flying headcrabs? It kind of makes sense that they would be smaller than regular headcrabs. If you look at epsil0n's pictures, the birds' bodies seem wide and flattened-out, like what a streamlined headcrab's body might look like.

stigmata said:
What if they're the flying headcrabs? It kind of makes sense that they would be smaller than regular headcrabs. If you look at epsil0n's pictures, the birds' bodies seem wide and flattened-out, like what a streamlined headcrab's body might look like.

OMG... are we actually gonna talk about flying headcrabs?
There's not even enough information to speculate whether they're birds or not, let alone speculating they could be some l33t new form of headcrabs...

Actually, flying headcrabs were confirmed somewheres, but I dunno if they would be that large.

Those birds do look bat-like to me though.

Considering the care put into the rest of the art, I don't see why the artist would simply toss some eagles into the background, just for the hell it. They must have some significance.

So, there is almost definitely going to be some sort of enemy that fits that silhouette, IMO.
That's all we can tell from this though. Speculate away!

Edit: Looking at that picture again, the birds must be huge. It may just be perspective but, given the level of shading on both tower and bird being almost equal, The bird's wingspan is nearly as wide as half the citadel.

They could just be crows, and they symbolize...the crows from the game!!

I don't think they're just normal birds... unless the artist is just lazy.. or doesn't know what a bird looks like. Other than that I haven't got a clue..

Wesisapie said:
wait a minute, did no-one hear me? they are just birds!

Dude, do you really want to spoil it for us because we believe that we have stumbeled into something new. This is the most exiting thing we have seen about hl2 in the last # months. And I am quite glad we have something to discuss instead of the usual stuff that has repeated 20+ times

i'd hardly call it exciting. im sorry but talking about 2 grey blobs till you're blue in the head isn..... ah you get the idea.

Impulse147 said:
Well Sry but i only believe the earth is about 6500 yrs old, but lets not debate over that, but actaully the earth has slowed down thats why things that are 5,000 yrs old seem millions of yrs old today. yea but from the look of the photo it doesn't have x-wing type wings. all it does is has a second set of wings overlapping its first, therefore extra gliding distance.and 1 yard is quite small, and the HL2 look things look huge.

Sweet Jesus please tell me I´m not reading this............. ;(

Is it me or the birds have no head???

But the idea of flying headcrabs is pretty cool, flying headcrabs are in, but flying zombies are out!

frances_farmer said:
i'd hardly call it exciting. im sorry but talking about 2 grey blobs till you're blue in the head isn..... ah you get the idea.

Two grey blobs > The nothing Valve has released

Honestly... they look like stray marks or scratches at first... but they'd have to be really out of place scratches if that were true. I'd say that they are probably two birds or something simply there to make a "imagined line" to bring Gordan's face into focus. (You will probably look at Gordan's face before Alex's when looking at that part of the pic. You learn that type of stuff when taking a required "art appreciation" class in collage when you're trying to take programming.) They could be bats or birds of some type of flying animal, the artist probably didn't think pepole would take that much time tearing the pic to peices.

frances_farmer said:

It is if they're on your neck...

This is what the so called birds in the picture are

this is what you are seeing in the picture I can not belive how everyone has missed this.....
art_17.jpg
it is just a perspective that you are not used to see....

It looks nothing like them......

They are birds for gods sake. Plain and simple birds.

Crows, pigens purhaps. BUT BIRDS!!!

Oh and this should have been posted in the other thread :p

you are wrong, trust me on this one..... a little bird told me.

Those don't look like the "birds" on the test page.

I'm gonna go with marksman and Maxi on this one, they look nothing alike.

If anything, they're the flying things from HL1... Most likely just birds though.

The planet being 5000 years old? HAHAHA I take shits that are older than that. You can carbon date a frikken pyrimid older than that. YOWZERS people are stupid. I will start the debate but what ever.

They are just birds. what do you care. Maybe it's lense flare. WOW THEY COULD BE DRAGONS. 2 BIG f-ing DRAGONS. Or they are stupid seagulls. Don't care. I am out. This stuff is getting lame. Peace. you guys can argue all you want but I have just stoped giving a rats ass.

I hope Steam fails, HL2 never get's out , And doom steals the whole friggen market with their REHASH PoS. It's funny that way cuz this delay isn't funny at all. I am going to play games that are worth the time. God damn my NES is worth more time than this circle jerk.

I say: GET hammered , Turn your computer off for a year, Then get the game in the GD BARGAIN Bin.

end this

wonkers said:
The planet being 5000 years old? HAHAHA I take shits that are older than that. You can carbon date a frikken pyrimid older than that. YOWZERS people are stupid. I will start the debate but what ever.

ROFLMAO, c'mon if the guy wants to thing difrent then let him. Alot of "idiots" have made had a huge influence on our cultures and science because they where brave enought to think outside the box. We all believed the earth was flat in the beginning untill some brave nutcracker proved it was round (Wasnt he burned for it? I dont know).

anyway .. !!

You would have a really wierd look on your face when he might have stumbeled on some truth on this mather and become rich and famous because of it. You can never be 100% sure.

GUYs!!!! I know what it is!!!!!!!

OMG ************SPOILOR************
(scroll down to risk the game being spoiled)

BIRDS! omg...they are just birdgs give this thread a rest ..they are only birds..

Wow, interesting thread. Personally I think they're just birds. How did the discussion get on to gravity and the age of the earth again?

My personal theory: The moon is moving away from the earth all the time (very slowly). If you follow this pattern back to the time of the dinosaurs, you find that the moon was orbiting the earth at a height of about 6ft. This explains the extinction of the dinosaurs. The tall ones at least.

That was a JOKE, before anyone posts saying OMG, you is teh thicko!!!!111!???!!!!

:)

OMG!!!!!11 you is teh thicko!!!!11!???!!!!

(sorry couldn't resist)

Meh, I think they are just birds... Most all of that stuff seems to be photoshopped pictures of stuff we have already seen before. This just proves how anxious we all are to get the game, we over analyze every piece of info we can dig up :)

Its gotta make the guys at valve pretty happy to see us all chomping at the bit like this... Grrrrr
I hate patience, who ever thought of the concept of waiting should have been shot...

wonkers said:

carbon dateing is effected by relativity dumbass. He means that time has slowed down so it takes longer to travel a thousand years through time now than it did at the earths creation. If we we're still travelling at the same speed through time as we were then HL2 would have been released millions of years ago... if you believe time has slowed down that much.

Were bored ok, what else are we supposed to do besides fight about HL2 stuff and the thing with the gravity being different is true , its just not a huge amount of difference, therefore u cannot compare it to mars gravity or the moons. also remeber we are HL2 deprived our minds are slowing down aswell.

If u look at anything on timeline science you'll find that the earth is moving much slow than it did 6,500 years ago, therefore everything seems older.

mrchimp said:
carbon dateing is effected by relativity dumbass. He means that time has slowed down so it takes longer to travel a thousand years through time now than it did at the earths creation. If we we're still travelling at the same speed through time as we were then HL2 would have been released millions of years ago... if you believe time has slowed down that much.

:D :burp: :D
The speed that would be needed to 'slow down' time would rip the entire atmosphere of the earth...
We already travel at a speed of approx. 30 KM/s (!!) around the sun! (if the orbit were circular and not elliptical)

Back