how do u fix the darkness right here

S

Seraphim19

hey ive been makin this map and the lights are acting a lil funny look at these screenies and tell me the problem, its dark on some of the objects even with the light is hitting it directly. if i turn my flashlight on it shows the object or texture just fine(last screenshot) whats the friggen problem.

deshizza00015uj.jpg

deshizza00029jo.jpg

deshizza00055iw.jpg

deshizza00064mz.jpg

deshizza00070vw.jpg

deshizza00081vv.jpg

Are those brushes or models or both ?

With the old qrad lighting program if you ran it in quick mode or if vis didn't finish then light wouldn't bounce properly so there would be no ambient and shadows would come out pitch black.

well all of em are like props so i guess they're models. a kid in another forum said that the light distance wasnt big enough so i tried that but it didnt help

try putting some really faint lights throughout the room to simulate more light bouncing. i actually have this same problem, but haven't started troubleshooting it yet

I kinda have the same problem. It does that to me with my walls. I think it has something to do with the light not having a large enough distance. also..Where did you get the floor from dust?? I've been trying forever to get the textures from the CS:S maps into hammer!!!

Try increasing the light brightness and try setting constant to 1. May or may not help.

Cuban4Hire said:
Where did you get the floor from dust?? I've been trying forever to get the textures from the CS:S maps into hammer!!!

are you making HL2DM maps or CSS, cuz if its css u go to ur texture applicator and type in "dust" in the filter.

this is makin me angry >.< i cant figure out my problem.

this is my setup with my lights here.

they have the prop that looks like the light. around the prop there is a func_breakable entity. when it breaks it turns off the light so the lights can get shot out. so u have to name the box like, Lightbox1 and the output has to be OnBreak>light1>TurnOff so u have to name the light "light1". this was working fine earlier and then all the sudden these black areas showed up. i dont get the problem maybe i'll just change the light bulb

i also have another problem, my sun. i go into my game, my skybox is sky_dust, and the sun is there but its not making the world bright at all it looks like evening around, but with a big sun in the sky. my light_env is also there but its not lighting anything either.

what is wrong with my lighting!!!

Seraphim19 said:
are you making HL2DM maps or CSS, cuz if its css u go to ur texture applicator and type in "dust" in the filter.

I'm making CS:S maps but I don't have any of the textures from the default CS:S maps...I think Hammer might be looking in the wrong folder?? What are all your folders under the configuration tab and all that?? I thought you had to use gcfscape to get the textures.

i think by default hammer looks in ur GCF to get the textures, i didnt add any special ones i just used default from hammer :D haha, i dunno what ur doin.

YAY!! I fixed it! I had changed all the folders around...so I just reset it all. thanks for the help :)

I havent started tinkering with lighting at all (only played with the program for a week and I'm more conscerned with just getting the basic geometry of the map right) but it kind of looks to me like the edges of the box your pointing at is in the shadows. But on the other hand, it shouldn't be pitchblack. Try turning your object so the corner is into the light. If it nothing happens, then I don't know what I'm talking about lol.

Oh, I just had a thought. Maybe your light is some sort of spotlight and doesn't shine in all directions because of the cone like thing holding the bulb. Try hiding that and see what happens.

By the way, how did you get screenshots in your text area?

i use a handy website called www.imageshack.us and when its done uploading it give u a URL to paste in forums.

well my sdk got screwed over and i think i may have lost my map and a months worth of work. im so pissed off. i think i may be able to fix it with a .bsp decompiler but there arent any of those so... yargh see my thread bout that one...

Back