How does hammer work?

Korgoth

Reaction score
Well im fully aware that probably none of your guys reading this have had the chance to use the new engine, but since i haven't ever mapped for half life, and i really want to get into the half life sdk enviroment, could anyone tell me how the process generally works (that is if the new hammer, acts like the old worldcraft)

The only mapping i've ever done was on the ut2k3 engine, and i caught on to that pretty fast i thought, so my question is what are the differences, similarities of the two, and how does the level mapping process begin in hammer/worldcraft (I.E. do you subtract a cube, set up a skyzone info, fake backdrops etc, and then add brushes and statics?)

one more thing, does anyone know what a dynamic mesh is? I read somewhere somebody from valve was talking about the new editor and they said you should build your main bsp in the editor and you can then import meshes and geometry as static or dynamic...

Thanks guys

Thanks man :cheers:
sorry to waste anyones time...

Not a waste if we're helping people learn.
*grins as he subtly takes credit for helping Innervision*

LoL well heres one for you to Draklyne:cheers:
(ah, beer is good)

hertr is another great tutorial about getting started in hammer, it goes into great debth into setting it up, which was pretty damn hard

Well, half life mapping (HL2 will be very similar due to the fact that the engine is BSP based) is based around primitives. Maps are collections of convex objects described by the solid regoin bounded by 4 or more plains. I belive that Utk3 mapping is based around mesh/vertex editing.

Once the basic geometry has been set up, you can import details object that will be tradition models created in 3Ds Max or Maya or whatever.

The sky is set out by giving a cetain texture to brushes, all levels have to be completely enclosed (no leaks).

Can someone please give me a HL mapping tutorial? Thanx.. :cheers:

I dont mean to sound annoying. But worldcraft/Valve hammer comes with its own tutorials. Now then i know most tutorials that gomes with programs are pretty crappy. But i found them very good. They are in the help section when you run WC/VH.

Of course they wont cover everything, but they are helpful. After all they were written by people who knew/know what they are/were doing.

*So many forwards slashes. Does it ever end?

i found a site where users submitted tuitorials, there was even one on how to make maps in NOTEPAD.
it had some famous mappers but unfortunately i have forgotteb the what the site is called and its adress

Originally posted by Farrowlesparrow
I dont mean to sound annoying. But worldcraft/Valve hammer comes with its own tutorials. Now then i know most tutorials that gomes with programs are pretty crappy. But i found them very good. They are in the help section when you run WC/VH.

Of course they wont cover everything, but they are helpful. After all they were written by people who knew/know what they are/were doing.

*So many forwards slashes. Does it ever end?

I had an earlier worldcraft a few months ago, and it had little tutorials. Now I have Hammer 3.4 from the laest HL SDK, and I havent found any tutorials in it.
And lots of the tutorials at the collective have been written by Chris Bokitch, a guy at Valve.

Back