How does steam work?

G

I have a few questions about this Steam of theirs...

1) If you were to download your copy of HL2 and say, delete it off your HD. How can you get it back again? Do you get a serial number in which you can enter and redownload it?

2) What happens if you lose your cd key? Is there a reciept that you can show them to get another key?

Originally posted by Three6Mafia

1) If you were to download your copy of HL2 and say, delete it off your HD. How can you get it back again? Do you get a serial number in which you can enter and redownload it?

2) What happens if you lose your cd key? Is there a reciept that you can show them to get another key?

1) Your Steam account will show that you've purchased Half-Life 2 and it will just download again.

2) It's best not to lost your CD Key for any product, it's important. Keep it in a safe place. I'm not sure what Publishers do to replace lost CD Keys. (EDIT: also you won't get a CD Key if you download off Steam, it's just for older Valve products)

Originally posted by Three6Mafia

!) next time you start steam it will automatically download it again for you.

2) there is no cd-key, its simply tied to your steam account, saying "this user has rights to have access to this game"

1)Yes, your purchase is tied to user steamid/user account, no matter where you login, you can always play your games.

2)If you buy over the net you will never lose the game or key, see answer 1 for the reason for that.
If you buy a retail version then you must contact Valve to arrange a way to prove to them that you own a valid product and they will give you a new key/SteamID.

Wow this was perhaps the most informative thread on these forums in a long while rofl.

Back