How real are the physics...this real!?

R

resdog

I think it is safe to say that, by now, most to all of us have seen that huge video from E3 of Half-Life2.

In that video, when he was demonstrating the physics of half-life 2 using the barrels in a "pachinko" style fashion, does that mean all substances act like they should?

I mean If you have a room filled with water, and you knock out one of the walls, will the water flow out of the room, or will it still remain in its original square shape? I hope it flows out of the room and equalizes..that would be so badass.

I absolutely do not think they implemented a liquid physics system. They would have demonstrated it. For instance, having the watermelon be liquid inside and splattering.

Liquids will probably be the same--although maybe easier to make irregular shaped pools.

I wonder if Doom3 has done something. In an early demo they showed blood pooling out from underneath a dead zombie. I wonder if that was for show, or if they've implemented liquid physics.. at least to some extent.

liquid physics would be horrible to code and stuff....

though the water did react realisticly when the barrels and materasses and wood were tosses into it....

Everyone's speculating so far. Best guess is that they implemented some water physics as we've seen evidence of bouyancy in the tech demos. Doom3 videos/screenshots indicate that the engine is capable of simulating blood that flows and smears across surfaces. I don't think this means full fluid dynamics as implementing flowing blood in really shallow pools is somewhat simpler.

Red faction did this with lava, but that game is based on it's blow everything stuff.
This would be cool in hl2.
Otherwise you could always make the water a model, and having the blowed up wall trigger an animation, wich makes the water flow out....or something.

imo liquid is one of the hardest to code, and yes Red Faction did do this, but not very well imo

I also think they would have showed it in the video if the water could "flow out" and not only react to objects in the same pool.

Absolutely. There is no way that Valve would have passed showing off something like shooting a hole in a water tower/barrel, and having the liquid stream out, or a really cool waterfall or something. It would have blown everyone away (more).

I think that stuff like equalizing levels couldbe accomplished with some skillful maping though. Like bringing another "block" of water into the room when a door is opened into a flooding room or something.

Hitman 1 had some good water effects (including pouring), so it is possible.

or you could try and do it with the new geo mod technology or what ever it is.

The physics engine valve( among others ) is using is a midware product called havok.
You can view all the details & download sample movies at their website.

well, a lot of games have simulated blood effect's where the blood flows realistically.........Even the ubber Violent and Pointless (although strangely fun) Postal 2 has blood which flows realistically

might be able to deform the water with the displacement map:cheers: :flame:

If hl2 did have realistic liquid physics I think its a possiblity that they could have just not shown it then when the game is really close they release some media showing it. My god liquid physics would be so cool.

Originally posted by Reaper978
If hl2 did have realistic liquid physics I think its a possiblity that they could have just not shown it then when the game is really close they release some media showing it. My god liquid physics would be so cool.

someone asked gabe about it, "will a barrel full of water leak water if i shoot a hole in it?" "no"

i asked erik if it would be possible to code it somehow and he said it would be quite tricky.

I think it would be more than 'quite tricky' to do properly since water behaves chaotically.

I'd like to see if someone could do a reasonable approximation. I'ts been done in 2d, I suppose it depends on how complex your 3d evironment is.

the awnswer is no, the water would stay in a square shape, this has been discussed by gabe newall before, HL2 does not incorporate a "flow" water physics system, but HL2 still rocks :cheese: *edit* oops, someone already beat me to it, sorry

Just watch the old E3 movie of the person made out of water, he should have turned into a puddle if there eas accurate water dynamics.

Originally posted by sportz103
Just watch the old E3 movie of the person made out of water, he should have turned into a puddle if there eas accurate water dynamics.

Well not necessarilly, since there would have been all kinds of entity propeties relating to him and stuff.

Oh another note, would bullet pass right through the water person? :D

Won't it be excellent when true water dynamics really are acheived? Like, you could have someone made of water, then push them off a building, then you could either:

[a] Have the water split apart with the force of the air resistance, or..
Have the water stay intact, until it hits the floor, at which point it basically acts like real water, splashing everywhere.

Another way that could be put to use is something like where the water-character runs into a wall, splits up into water molecules, seeps through the wall, then re-forms on the other side.

Ooh, and bullets could tear the water apart slowly, then the water seeps back to where the bullet ripped a hole, making the body whole again.

Or even (going on from the idea above the idea above!) a water-character simply jumps at a wall and bursts, water slashing everywhere. Then it could merge all back together and stuff!

Wow, can't wait untill technology advances that far, although knowing my luck i'll be dead by the time that kind of tech is available on commercial computers, lol.

damn, thats really depressing Dave. I hope i dont die before then. What a sad thought =(

Originally posted by csmighty
damn, thats really depressing Dave. I hope i dont die before then. What a sad thought =(

Me too, it would just suck.

"Out today! Half-Life 18.4!

- - Photorealistic Graphics.
- - True to life physics system.
- - Every existing weapon in the entire world, including those new ones developed over on Mars.
- - Maps 18,000 miles across.
- - Completely realistic water dynamics.
- - New character, Gordon Jr.!
- - Most advanced AI to date, programmed with every word from any language, now you can easily communicate!
- - Pixel-damage system. If you want, you can get out your microscopic knife and rip your enemy apart atom by atom; nice!
- - Will be better than DOOM {undefined}, S.T.A.L.K.E.R 92 : Oblivion finally found, Max Payne 9.0027, Duke Nukem Eternity 0.27 and Farcry 28 all put together! Guaranteed, or your money back plus 10074% interest!

Special Offer : If you sell your soul to Valve, you can get this amazing game for only $100041! [As opposed to $8000001740.28 retail price]."

Woo! /me walks down to the store and promtly dies.

Now wouldn't that just suck? lol

In Hl and worldcraft right now its currently not hard to make a water flow system. you have a block with an angle on it (cutting through the wall) put it to func_door and have it triggered by the wall being broken. if need be, this can/could be done in hl2 and hammer when released. not a lot of work, but it would still be nice if a group of programmers were to figure out how to code the liquid physics system and possibly release it to valve for the next update, then we would alllllll be happy >=D but I doubt it would happen.

Back