How to Make CS:S Movies

That sounds like a pretty good idea(using Fraps to record only the demo playback) but I've been experimenting with the 'record demo/render tga's with startmovie/virtualdub to make avi' method. It DEFINITELY works better than Fraps at CS:S movies. Fraps just sucks up too much performance to use while playing the game, keep in mind I haven't tried using Fraps to just record a demo playback yet.

I'm a control freak, so having all those video and audio compression options to experiment with by using Virtualdub is an added bonus.

Well, I tried recording a demo, then using Fraps to record a movie of it when I played back the demo- it works great! Using this method, I get performance as good as using the built-in HL2 movie controls and Virtualdub.

To me the big advantage of this method is you immediately have a watchable avi file. You don't have to render any tga files with 'startmovie'.

Fraps also names your movies on the fly, so you don't have to worry about typing in new 'startmovie' names for each clip.

For instance, if you have a long demo that you want to make a bunch of short movie clips out of, just play the demo and use Fraps' hotkeys to record/pause/record all you want, Fraps names each clip for you automatically.

Virtualdub does have advantages in the area of being able to apply filters, compress the movie, and fine tune audio quality all in one shot.

But I think for ease of use, quick clip creation, or creation of basic clips for processing later- Fraps recording demo playback is the way to go.

When highest quality, immediate compression, or maximum control over settings is needed- Virtualdub processing 'startmovie' rendered frames is best.

HI!
I have recorded a 13 sec clip of me flasbanging someone, with fraps. But the 13 sec clip takes 70mb. How do i make it lower quality?
Thx for any answers!
:cheers:

Alyx_Lover,

You have an uncompressed AVI movie file, that's why it's so big. Assuming you don't want to edit it, then all you need to do is compress it.

Yesterday, I used Virtualdub(a free program) with Divx codec(free too) to compress a 3.5GB(yes GIGAbyte!) movie down to a 45mb divx avi. Follow instructions given earlier in this thread to do it this way.

Alternatively, and easier, you can use Windows Movie Maker(if you have a Win OS). Just import your movie in Movie Maker, drag the clip to the storyboard, and goto File-Save Movie File. Follow the prompts which will guide you the rest of the way. The only thing is the movies come out in the 'wmv' format, I don't know if that a problem for you. The 'avi' format movie files that Movie Maker can produce are much bigger. Experiment.

Also make sure you have the latest version of Movie Maker.

How would you record a movie in slow motion, using any method.

Reason being, I have a whole bunch of demos from clan matches. I would love to make a "highlight reel" out of these.

Would you first have to set the speed you want using the 'demoui' command in console...and then use hotkeys to record?

This could get very tedious when having to restart the demo everytime because its very difficult to get the shots I want all in one run, when changing the speeds and such. And you don't want to get the demoui box in the shot...

Any easier ways to make a 'highlight video' from demos already made?

easiest way to do slow mo's is in whatever NLE you're using (vegas, Premiere, etc).

just capture the scene normally. for the part you want slow, just drag another instance of the original clip onto the timeline, snip off the ends and change the framerate to between 10-15 fps.

you can get better results using videomach to make your slow-mo at the same time you're compiling the original clip. save the clip normally, then again, set in/out points around your slow-mo, change the framerate and save it as the same name but add "slo" to the name.

2kill-1hs.avi
2kill-1hs-slo.avi

etc etc. then you can just work the slow clip into the timeline wherever you want.

unless it's a super awesome triple headshot or something, i wouldnt use the demoui to do a slow mo. only use it if it's something so bad ass that you want perfect quality and clarity.

iirc, i posted some binds earlier in this thread for capturing movies. all you need to do is remove the demoui before you start capturing frames. and you can always snip off extra footage, so capture a little extra so you dont miss anything.

rather than start a new thread, i'll just post it here. just a little pub movie.

download ~163mb wmv9

enjoy.

Fireindaho said:
Alyx_Lover,

I used Virtualdub(a free program) with Divx codec(free too) to compress a 3.5GB(yes GIGAbyte!) movie down to a 45mb divx avi.

The MOvie will Be bad and bad graphics.

My video

I made this video using Full version of FRAPS recording at: 1024x768 at 30FPS
I use Windows Movie Maker to compress and edit the footage.

My Specs:
AMD Athlon XP 2000+ ~1.7GHz
1 gig RAM
Geforce 3 Ti 500 (64bit)
Just to prove that you don't need a hig-end comp to make decent movies

Here it is: http://s42.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1Y2KI6QIIYU9T1MPLROU730UYT

The movie is a short, mostly in spanish, but nothing complicated. Email me is you have and questions or comments at: [email protected]

Problem with Video

Hey I recently started messing around with creating movies after noticing this thread, and first off thanks to all for the tips you all gave, it's been quite helpful.

However, I recently encountered a problem that I cannot solve (after spending a lot of time googling for a solution to no avail). The problem is that the video's I recorded from FRAPS (I used 50 fps, full screen...I was messing around) all playback with < 1 FPS and static as sound. This is really odd to me since 12 hours earlier, my video's played back perfect without any of these problems. The only change I made was leaving my computer on and doing a disc defrag while I was away, and now that I'm back those video's 'lag' my computer even just selecting the file, let alone playing back the video's. It shouldn't be a spec problem but here they are anyway, p4 1.86, 1 gig of Ram, nVidia 6800, 80 gig HD, etc.

The previous test demo I made plays back fine, as well as the rest of my music. I've tried switching between WinAMP and WMP, no difference there. I tried to convert it to DivX format but the DivX Converter doesn't accept FRAP's recording, only Dr DivX does. I haven't been able to test the Dr DivX option yet but I will try later on. If anyone has any tips/help I can overcome this problem, it would be greatly appreciated. I would prefer to use System Restore as a last resort.

*Edit - I forgot to mention that trying to record FRAPS now after this incident, provides me with 1 - 5 FPS. Previously, it would remain around a steady 30 FPS.

i have just started using fraps in 30 seconds it creates a file 500 mb big how do i shrink it...

ag3nt

personally i like to host it on filefront.com, because it has super fast connection and d/l times, and you have unlimited hosting space :)

i wanna remove player names and scores in spectator screen.
is there any cvars to hide them?
most of my clan member dont take demo, so i need to use my own POV demo for making other member's scenes.

Hi all.
Can any1 suggest me any video tools for adding video effects plz? I want to add a fast forward effect, what program does have it?
Thanks.

I'v had bad luck with fraps but i'll give it another shot. Maybe i can crack it.

I've already mastered windows movie maker 2 and i'm now working on fraps still but using Sony Vegas aswell.

Guys i can belive you are still using that no good program Fraps.The qualiy of the videos is very poor copared to GameCam 1.2 for example if you still want to use a screen recorder.The best method is saving frame by frame(startmovie filename 30(fps),and than putting them togheter vith Virtual Dub or Video Mach.The quality of the video is stunning and the ratio betwen quality and size is "almost good".But you can compress the movie and still have better quality than using Fraps and GameCam.but what do i know,Excuse my English.

Oh yeah I've allmost forgotten.In terms of editing i belive that Video Edit Magic is a good program and very easy to use.Windows Movie Maker doesnt stand a chance!!!

The Programs And Methos I Use For Videos

Programs

CS:S (Obviously)
FRAPS
Seismovision
VirtualDub
Sony Vegas 6.0 (Or any alternate)

Method

1)Go to the server you want to record demo on
2)type in console record demo(or whatever you want to name it)
3)When your done, type in console stoprecord
4)Exit CS:S and start FRAPS and Seismovision
5)Play the CS:S demo through Seismovison(Add it to Demo List and press play demo, it will run automatically)
6)Press your FRAPS Video record key when you want to record, and press again to stop it
7)When every inch of pwnage has been sucked out, exit demo and Seismovision
8)Go to your FRAPS directory and recover all your footage(Will be VERY big)

When Using Sony Vegas 6.0

1)Drag and drop onto video timeline and edit accordingly
2)Publish video
3)Use VirtualDub to compress it
4)Watch and enjoy

This above will work with Windows Movie Maker as well, will be a little different to word thats all.

As for FRAPS, if you run it in game it will be like playing a slideshow. Thats why you record the demo and then after in Seismovision.You can set it to record at 30FPS or above as there is little difference, but there is one(if that makes any sense).

Hope some of you find this helpful, if not then just blame me xD

Good luck all, and happy editing :thumbs:

r3.Gaming|Ghost

we use this a lot in conjunction with r-drawothermodels 2 to find wallhackers on our server...

thank you so now when i want to make my own css movies i now know how to do it thank you

lengthy footage / startmovie problems

Hello all,

I'm having some weird issues with clips I capture and intend to edit. First, let me mention that when I am playing a demo back, and I set my host_framerate to 90, all is well. Then I use the 'startmovie name avi' command. I'm using the huffyuv codec. The frames record as you'd expect, and so long as the clip I want to capture is short enough (~10 secs in length), the .avi I create will load up fine in Sony Vegas. Additionally, it will play in Windows Media Player just fine.

Here's where the problem comes. If I try to record footage from an extended period of gameplay, (perhaps maybe a minute to an entire, short round) the .avi gets created and all, but when I try to import it to Vegas, it doesn't recognize the file anymore. Also, Windows Media Player will not play it, nor will Windows Movie Maker. I've tried the following things:

1) use uncompressed format for capture -- same results
2) output thousands of .tga's using startmovie, and then compile them into an .avi using RAD tools -- same results
3) DivX compression -- same results

I'm not sure why I'm getting this problem, but any help would be greatly appreciated. I've been researching, and it seems there's some issues with Vegas in recognizing certain files, but what's weird with my case is that Windows Media Player will also not play my files.

I'm going to try to reinstall the huffyuv codec right now, as the message media player is giving me is that 'one or more codecs could not be found.' If this helps, I'll let you know. I'm not expecting results though, since 3 other modes of compressed have failed as well.

Thanks,

Ian

Why do you want the host_framerate to be 90? Videos are generally 30 or 29.97 FPS. I bet the video program has an issue with this.

framerate

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm new to movie making, but what I read somewhere is that if I intend to ever 'fast forward' or go 'slowmo' with my clips, I want them to be recorded at a higher framerate to make allowances. The author of a tutorial at http://www.fpsbanana.com/tuts/2409 is quoted as saying, "If you have a 30fps video, and slow it down to half speed, you only have 15fps in your final render and it looks choppy. If you have a 60fps video, and slow it down to half speed, you still have a smooth 30fps final output.

For this reason, i suggest recording all your cs clips at 90 frames per second."

You make a very valid point though. I hadn't even thought to try changing it back to 30 to see if I can watch longer clips. I'll try that now.

framerate

Thanks so much! I can now play / edit the lengthy captures I have. I did have to change the host_framerate to 30. I'll see how slowing footage down / speeding it up looks and post back. It could be awhile because there's a lot of clips I have to capture / compress before I can work with them all.

It's odd because they use Vegas in the tutorial too. Maybe try opening the 90 FPS file in Virtualdub and see if it can handle it (free program).

If it works in Virtualdub but you still want to edit with Vegas then you could start a frame server. Ever done that before? (not hard to do. just in the Virtualdub File menu, save server file, open server file with Vegas) It would just feed Vegas the frames as it requests them but without Vegas having to bother with opening the file itself.

If it can't take long videos at 90FPS but can with just medium length then an alternative would be to record it in parts. You could record up to a stopping place. Then record another video finishing the demo. Edit any overlap out and piece it together.

Ynot just upload to youtube.. and fraps is much better i use a *cough*cracked*cough* version of fraps.. :D

one problem with fraps. it dont record sound!
or maby im just being a dumb... well, you get the idea. any help?

I suggest recording a demo, then using a cfg to record the demo. Way higher quality and virtually no lag.

This thread should help some people make proper movies :cheers:

1. Download the FRAPS demo, 2.2.5. Registering it will give you better videos though. Start it up, modify settings if you need to, I'd modify the path (personally, it's C:\Games\Movies). Recording to a seperate hard drive will get better performance.

2. Start the game, when you want to start recording, hit F12 (or whatever Hotkey you defined in FRAPS). To stop, hit F12 (or whatever Hotkey you defined in FRAPS) again.

3. Record any number of movies you need.

4. Exit the game.

Option 1 - High Quality WMV

5. Open Windows Movie Maker.
6. File -> Import into collection
7. Browse to the movie folder, wherever it saves them.
8. Drag the video to the storyline.
9. File -> Save Movie File... Save for the local computer, type in path you need, save as "Video for Local Playback 2.1mbps (NTSC)"
10. Go to step 15

Option 2 - BINK
11. Download RAD Game Tools
12. Open RAD Game tools, browse to the video file, select it and hit "Bink it!"
13. In the file name, change ".bik" to ".exe". Change path to suit your needs.
14. Go to step 15.

Finally, putting it somewhere

15. Go to the site: http://s11.yousendit.com/
16. Put in your email.
17. Upload the file.
18. Get the link from the email (I guess? I haven't gone through it).
19. Get over here and post the link!
20. After you're done, delete the AVI files made by FRAPS to free up space.

I hope this helps people! If mods want to make this sticky... :D

CREDIT GOES TO THEHUNTER1320 FOR FINDING YOUSENDIT. :thumbs:
This thread should help some people make proper movies :cheers:

1. Download the FRAPS demo, 2.2.5. Registering it will give you better videos though. Start it up, modify settings if you need to, I'd modify the path (personally, it's C:\Games\Movies). Recording to a seperate hard drive will get better performance.

2. Start the game, when you want to start recording, hit F12 (or whatever Hotkey you defined in FRAPS). To stop, hit F12 (or whatever Hotkey you defined in FRAPS) again.

3. Record any number of movies you need.

4. Exit the game.

Option 1 - High Quality WMV

5. Open Windows Movie Maker.
6. File -> Import into collection
7. Browse to the movie folder, wherever it saves them.
8. Drag the video to the storyline.
9. File -> Save Movie File... Save for the local computer, type in path you need, save as "Video for Local Playback 2.1mbps (NTSC)"
10. Go to step 15

Option 2 - BINK
11. Download RAD Game Tools
12. Open RAD Game tools, browse to the video file, select it and hit "Bink it!"
13. In the file name, change ".bik" to ".exe". Change path to suit your needs.
14. Go to step 15.

Finally, putting it somewhere

15. Go to the site: http://s11.yousendit.com/
16. Put in your email.
17. Upload the file.
18. Get the link from the email (I guess? I haven't gone through it).
19. Get over here and post the link!
20. After you're done, delete the AVI files made by FRAPS to free up space.

I hope this helps people! If mods want to make this sticky... :D

CREDIT GOES TO THEHUNTER1320 FOR FINDING YOUSENDIT. :thumbs:

Thank you so much!!! Ive been looking for something like this. I tried using Fraps once but this is much better.

Back