How Would You End HL2?

exoeight

Reaction score
I just realized something pretty neat, well, as far as my realizations go.

Half Life 1 ended in the best way you could ever end anything. After all, the worste ending you could ever have is an end to end everything in my opinion. Leaving Half Life 1 open made the ending so much better, only because it lets you think and wonder what could happen. Not only that, but i just realized, leaving the ending open (such as g-man offering gordon a job), could be a perfect opening for fans to finish it off and make their own endings.

I just had a better idea then what I was originally going to post, so my thoughts may sound disorganized.

It's just awsome, if fans made the ending 100% complete. Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying for valve to not answere any questions, but it would be great if everything tied up, and then something happends that's not too big, just big enough to let fans pick up from that point and continue the story in their own way for a little bit.

That would be interesting... solid endings are like brick walls, it doesn't let your mind tie things up the way it likes, so just leave something open, something that you can wonder about.

Half Lifes modding communitee is so well known, and skilled (for the most part), it would only be right to let them/us pick up and add to the story, more specifically the ending.

what do you guys think? or do you have a better ending?

"There will be a HL3, so expect another cliff-hang ending"

If fans made the ending to the Half Life series, there would be many endings.

One mod, Gordon dies, another Mod Gordon lives and continues to fight aliens, another mod Gordon becomes a pimp, another MOD Gordon wakes up and realizes HL1, HL2, and HL3 was all a dream and in reality he is a College MIT graduate who can only get a job as a trashman and commits suicide,

the endings would be endless... lol

" I will see you up ahea.... Gordon put the pistol down, afterall it is goverment proper...*bam* *thud*

I do NOT want a cliff hanger ending.

they can EASILY END HL2, while not ending the story.
There are such things as subplots, and unfinshed senareos.

so, lets say HL2 is the setting up of the theme, the people, the locations, and some major goal to be attained by numeroud sub-goals leading to the main goal.
The story ends with you attaining that main goal for HL2, which unfortunetally does not end the story. They win the battle, but the war continues, to be won in HL3.

no need for cliffhangers.

I would end it with a G-man double cross.

gman double cross is the predictiable thing nowadays.
I'm seeing double cross from one of the other major characters.
Probably the most trustworty one.
Eli perhaps?

Ch1cKeN said:
gman double cross is the predictiable thing nowadays.
Eli perhaps?

or Dr Mossman ;(

I think in HL2 the plot will evolve more as they may answer question's from HL but add more questions to be answerd in HL3(if it goes ahead), things like who is the gman?, Who does he work for? What the hell is happening? etc.

possible surprise endings:

gman is gordons father
breen is gordons father
gordon is an alien
gman is an alien
alyx is a combine spy
alyx is an alien
etc.

Cool Ending : Gordon is a super space hamster, thats dubbelcrosses alyx and join the combine ...

errrrr......... yeah..........cool :dozey:
Wouldn't that be cool if that happend.

NOT (just incase you couldn't detect the sarcasm as my History teacher would say).

a video would play after the credits, and gabe would be reading the names of those who made fun of him, and tel them their steam accounts and ip's have been banned from steam

You end up attacking the Combine Tower where you destory a big mainframe computer. The tower begins to collapse and you have to run away until you find youself on an egde of a high building with the tower still falling behind you. At the last moment you teleport and find yourself floating through space in the train at the beginning where G-Man congratulates you on your work but sais this is only the beginning. Up infront you see a massive portal which the train goes through.

I;m talking about HL3 since HL2 is simply gonna have a cliffhanger, but the most outragous and innovative thing Valve can do is let the main character (Gordon) die in the last part (he sacrifices himself for Alyx, Valve come up with a better plot).

The ending of HL3 is basiclly the screen going black as Gordon takes in his last few breaths.

if i can end it, i would make it so that g-man is gordon freedude(lol) from the future

ktimekiller said:
if i can end it, i would make it so that g-man is gordon freedude(lol) from the future

Hmm, there is a rule of thumb in writing plots. As soon as you involve time travel the plot line takes about a 35% nosedive, since you incure about 100 paradoxes that nit-picking freaks would love to talk about till the end of time.

A2597 said:
They win the battle, but the war continues, to be won in HL3.
How do you know it will be won in HL3? OMG teh sp0il3r!!1!1!
Btw, I would be pleased by a new HL episode every five years (even if I know Gabe said the team would kill him)!

Ch1cKeN said:
Eli perhaps?
Sorry dude, you forget the most trustworthy one is always the dog. So maybe Eli's dog.

zencat said:
possible surprise endings:

gman is gordons father
breen is gordons father
gordon is an alien
gman is an alien
alyx is a combine spy
alyx is an alien
etc.
I'm amazed to see you find the father-son relationship as surprising as the alien theory. Maybe you secretly suspect your father to be an alien?!?

The cliffhanger ending I imagine is: Gordon enters in an big empty room. There's just a desk and a PC on it. He opens a web browser... and he goes to www.halflife2.net/forums to know how the damn thing is gonna end! :cheese:

Gajdycz said:
a video would play after the credits, and gabe would be reading the names of those who made fun of him, and tel them their steam accounts and ip's have been banned from steam
:LOL: :LOL:
Kristafon said:
You end up attacking the Combine Tower where you destory a big mainframe computer. The tower begins to collapse and you have to run away until you find youself on an egde of a high building with the tower still falling behind you. At the last moment you teleport and find yourself floating through space in the train at the beginning where G-Man congratulates you on your work but sais this is only the beginning. Up infront you see a massive portal which the train goes through.
I like this. Large collapsing structures are always good climaxes.

I agree that they CAN end HL2 without making it a "cliffhanger" ending, which I personally don't like. Look at how the 3 LOTR movies were handled. At the end of parts 1 and 2, the individual battles were won, but the larger threat still remained for the future. :thumbs:

I also agree that time travel plots usually aren't a good idea, unless it's genuinely novel or clever in some way.

My ideas:
1) Towards the end of the storyline, they strongly point at a betrayal by the Gman or Eli, but at a critical moment Alyx suddenly turns out to be the bad girl, her betrayal and actions motivated not by evil, but by anger over her father's death at Black Mesa. I would not include anger at Gordon however (the whole "You killed my xxxxx!" thing), because plots like that are usually retarded and weak.

2) Some kind of tear-jerker ending where the battle is won, but Alxy must say goodbye and head off in another direction to carry on the fight. But she WILL see Gordon again... someday. (Setting up HL3)

3) Gordon and the Resistance defeats the Combine. As they are picking up the pieces they discover that in defeating them, they have left themselves vulnerable to an even greater threat to Earth. (I am sure someone has mentioned this in one of the "purpose of the combine" threads.)

Here's a twist: After whatever epic struggle we all experience in the game, we learn that Gordon and the G-man are gay lovers and there is a huge scandal where Gordon resigns as Govenor of New Jersey 17

I have an original ending, Gordon fights the G-man with something called a "Light saber" and when Gordon is about to be deafeted the G-man says "Gordon... I am your father!"

And Lu- I mean Gordon will go "NOOOOOOOOO" with dramatic music in the background

Danimal said:
I have an original ending, Gordon fights the G-man with something called a "Light saber" and when Gordon is about to be deafeted the G-man says "Gordon... I am your father!"

And Lu- I mean Gordon will go "NOOOOOOOOO" with dramatic music in the background

Gordon can't talk.... :)

Back