How would you want HL3 to begin?

Reaction score
Me personally, I'd like a long 'Gman Sequence' like the intro to HL2, and revealing that after EP2's ending we we're put back in stasis, especially since Gman regained control of Gordon, and this could give Alyx time to mature, physically and mentally, grieve normally while keeping true to her character of being resourceful, even when she's at her wits end. I wouldn't be surprised if 4 years or more have passed since then. So much ways Valve could handle it, but surely they know that they aren't 'limited' and have written themselves into a corner due to the way the last ending left only one way to start HL3, but they can just go the easy route and start it off with Gman, it's nothing less I expect from them, and that's a good thing.

Having it start off in the helicopter would be too fast, too easy, and based on history, Valve's introductions are more complicated than that.

But did the GMan regain control of Gordon? If I remember correctly it was just while the Vorts were busy healing Alyx.
I think Episode 3 should begin right where Episode 2 ended, so it can start on an extreme downer and end on a really high note.

But did the GMan regain control of Gordon? If I remember correctly it was just while the Vorts were busy healing Alyx.
I think Episode 3 should begin right where Episode 2 ended, so it can start on an extreme downer and end on a really high note.
Well, it's possible that Gman will have 'more' control over Gordon since the 'heart to heart' scene, In fact I think he may become more 'antagonistic'. If Eli's death wasn't the first obvious sign of it, I don't think he's going to be so patient when our time comes around again.

While that's the most obvious way to start HL3, I don't think it'll be so easy as that. If HL3 flows more like HL2 did after HL1, Gordon could wake up a year or even longer, in a whole new environment, hell, Gman could put us in the timeline of Portal 2, or when we use the Borealis it could change time and put us years into the future, who knows, maybe Portal 2 takes place during Half-Life 3?

I'd like a "Last time on Half Life..." sort of intro, since its been a ****ing decade since I played the last Half Life game.

starts off with you still lying on the ground while watching Alyx cry with his father in her hands. thats how Half-Life 3 will begin

The beginning of HL3 will be very hard to write. It should be slow, full of story, lots of references to previous titles and implied references to the time fans had been waiting. It should give you time to realize that it's happening, you are playing HL3 for real.
I agree that starting directly to the helicopter would be disappointing. Too much action in this scene.

Finally thought of my answer to this thread title.

"At all"

The beginning of HL3 will be very hard to write. It should be slow, full of story, lots of references to previous titles and implied references to the time fans had been waiting. It should give you time to realize that it's happening, you are playing HL3 for real.
I agree that starting directly to the helicopter would be disappointing. Too much action in this scene.
Indeed. And we know Valve isn't that kind of story teller, the best way would be to start with a Gman monologue.

Back