I don't believe I've ever HATED a popular game.

Bob Saget

Reaction score
It seems like everyone on this site hates at least one popular game, be it Ocarina of Time, Halo, Goldeneye, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, etc. I've never experienced this. I've been fairly indifferent to a few popular games (Halo 2/3) but I've never outright hated a popular game. I can't even relate.

Am I alone?

I don't know if I've ever hated a game either. Most I can recall is either hating the people playing it at a particular moment, or just being indifferent.

I've hated Devil May Cry if you can call that popular.

I severely disliked the first Brothers In Arms* game.

And Assassin's Creed.

*if considered popular.

I think I hate consoles. I hate that you can't just play a game, you need to unlock things, I hate that you have to get points for doing things. You need to be rewarded like a ****ing chimp. Why can't you just play a game for the story or something? Do you get a peanut every time you watch a movie?

So, you believe since it's popular, someone isn't going to like it? I don't like a lot of the games you listed mainly because I don't enjoy playing them, and think they are boring. OoT? Didn't like it. Played it and the controls just didn't feel good to me, and the gameplay bored me to tears. Didn't give MGS enough of a play to hate it, I just didn't enjoy what I played. I'd probably like it more if I played it now. Halo..*sigh*..Halo. MP bored me, SP bored me, story was just dumb to me.

And there are a lot of popular games I enjoy. Half-Life, Final Fantasy, Team Fortress 2, etc etc....so your logic just kind of died.

*edit* unless I didn't understand your post, and you're NOT saying people didn't like it since it was popular, just not enjoying a popular game..then I really don't understand the purpose of the thread...*shrug*

Hmm... out of all the popular games out there...

I didn't like Mass Effect (didnt HATE it but really wasnt that fun for me)

Also dont like World of Warcraft, waaaaaaaay too boring, never got into it.

Noo... don't think I hate any popular game. Well, unless you count Kane got Lynched and Puketal 2.

I hate World of Warcraft with a fervour that keeps me awake at night.
That's about it.

Hate List (not in order)

Halo Francise
CnC Generals
World of Warcraft
Assassins Creed
Gears of War

and plenty more that i cant remember at this very moment due to overload of hate blocking my mind.

i was pissed about assassins creed, it started out really good...then it got bad (when you actually started playing)

I don't like Halo very much at all ... but I don't hate it. It just isn't very good. Some of the dumb****s that adore it make me want to hate it though, and the fact that it's so gloriously overrated.

Gears of War also isn't very good and it's highly overrated ... but it's far from terrible and I certainly don't hate it.

I really, really, really don't like DMC. You might could even say I hated it ... it's so stupidly revolting.

I hate Saints Row ... I just can't stand when another company completely rips off someone else's creativity and doesn't input any of their own. It is ****ing shameful, and the people who made it and everyone who supported it should be ****ing ashamed. Everything from the look, the gameplay, the ****ing HUD, and especially the piss poor goddamn terrible attempts at edgy humor. These are people who not only can't create humor, they don't even understand humor. They hear a GTA ad for "Rusty Brown's Ring Donuts", think it's amusing, and then create a direct copy but instead it's just a bunch of gay voices talking about how they want PENIS in ASSHOLE - it's not enough to say they're not witty, I don't even think they can conceive of the concept.

No-one hates those games, they just over-emphasise their dislike of elements that popular thought appears to have ignored. Halo is the prime example, since there are several bits worth slinging shit at, but overall, it's worthy of inclusion on a list of notable FPS games. I'm a huge Final Fantasy fan, but I hate huge chunks of each product. Metal Gear Solid is an interesting case, because criticism of the original doesn't seem to be nearly as vocal as you find with other games in your list: people just tend to rip it out of the second game, because the first game was so good.

I hate quite a few:
mario
zelda
halo
blizzard in general (I just can't forgive them over WOW)
assassin's creed

I hate Starcraft.
Amen.

To the OP, dislike of a game has nothing to do with its popularity unless you're one of those people who deliberately hates something just to go against the grain. Whether a game is popular or not has no bearing on most peoples' opinions of it.

Also most games these days can be termed "popular" games because of all the advertising and hype they have. Few games come out in this day and age that don't have a hype train following them.

It never fails to amuse me how much people 'hate' or 'love' things/events or circumstances, on the internet. They are the most over used/misused words of modern times. Neither hate or love as emotions exist in the realm of the rational (they represent the very extremes of human emotional play). If you can articulate reasons why you either 'love' of 'hate' something you're probably misusing them (unless they killed your parents or some such). 'Dislike'/'like' are better or 'sucks!!!'/'rules!!!'for a bit of brevity ;)

There aren't many games I can't stand - even the really crappy can be entertaining for an hour or so (drunk Cooking Mama is proof of this :)). Bland point and shoot fps and realistic driving games are the ones that grate with me the most, though.

I hate all first person shooters... except from Half-Life.

Oh I also hate Gran Turismo. God I'm almost as cynacil as yahtzee now :p

even though I dont hate the game, I come close to hating the Halo series ..only because of the rabid fans/detractors ...they just have an annoying need to preach hate or worship to the point where you dont want to hear it cuz you ouldnt care less ..honestly the community/anti-community has turned me off the game more than the game has

so shut up fanboys/anti-fanboys

feel the same way about WoW ..and I loved that game ...the community slowly turned me off to the point if I'm at a gamestore and walk by a WoW display I mumble under my breath "stupid wow"

Any game that's popular enough has that community.

ya I was going to say the same about x nintendo products/final fantasy/MGS etc ..it's just that halo made the xbox what it is ..to hear some people kiss it's virtual bootheels makes me kinda ill ..damn heel lickers

It bugs the hell out of me when some games get undue attention (good or bad) for lame reasons.

Halo 1 - One of the biggest hate-bandwagons on the internet (you won't see me defend Halo 2 or 3).

Assassin's Creed - Total motion freedom complimented with broken AI and boring combat - sells millions.

Crysis - Let's take Far Cry, add a nano suit, beef up the graphics, throw in a pointless feeling of being a lumberjack and make sure we keep the AI and plot terrible. WIN.

So for me, it's not "hate" of the game itself, it's just extreme dislike for the undue attention. I like games to get attention based on its merits, not its hype.

I loved Assassin's Creed.

I hate WoW and Final Fantasy

The games industry and much of it's media is all about hype unfortunately. Most game previews are done under strict time constraints and conditions and it's almost always the case unless a game is clearly broken that the initial enamour of the new (the novelty factor) tends to blind people to a games deficiencies.

Oblivion is a game that stands out in my mind as a fine example of something that got a lot of praise/attention, but was very much a case of the emperors new clothes upon close examination. Pretty much all the preview attention focussed on the game engine and it's effects, and how much length there was to the game (was it supposedly 80 hours or some such?) and that Patrick Stewart was the voice of the emperor (for all of about 5 minutes). Everyone was a little too wowed by the dynamic lighting and bloom effects to notice that the game world was tiny (empire my ass), the levels were generally style over substance (let's make the 'City' in an annoying Circle!!!!), everyone in the game looked like they'd gone 10 rounds with Mike Tyson bare knuckle style (including you), the 'monsters level with you' feature was a complete pain in the ass. 80 hours of compelling 3 in the morning game play would of been great, but Oblivion didn't deliver that by any stretch of the imagination.

You don't believe it?

Itty bitty baby...

I hate DMC4, the new UT, Quake, and Halo, but I think most people hate Halo though

I just can't hate a bad game like I hate a bad movie.

I also don't dislike any fanbases, at all, from any form of entertainment.

I don't literally "hate" any games, but to use the term in the context of this thread...

I hate the whole Final Fantasy series and pretty much every JRPG I've played, I hate WoW and MMORPGs in general, I hate Madden and other yearly sports scams, among others. I'm not going to say that they're crap (except for Madden, that game blows), but I "hate" them and I wouldn't play them even if they were given to me for free.

On the other hand there are games that I think are average or mediocre that I would play with a friend or buy in a bargain bin in a few years and have some decent fun, but they are so insanely overrated that they tend to get on my nerves. Such as Halo or Gears of War [Edit: and Counter-Strike].

I dont hate games, I hate undue praise of games.

That seems to be exactly what most posters are expressing. Usually the worst a game can be is boring. That said, hating a game just because some of the fan base are jerks doesn't really strike me as a good way to judge a game.

Okay I agree I don't hate games I don't think I can express such a powerful hateful emotion over software unless we're talking big rigs or something.

I hate when someone hates a game because he thought it was a console exclusive, and then it comes out on PC. Such a childish behaviour.

I used to hate games, back in my days of being a massive Nintendo fanboy. But then I grew up.

Back