I hate what the "Tom Clancy" genre has become

BabyHeadCrab

The Freeman
Reaction score
There was a time when you heard the name Tom Clancy in the PC world and you thought of flavorful PC shooters designed to give you an edge or realism and tactical goodness chalked full of planning and replay value. Games like Rainbow Six and Rainbow Six: Rouge Spear brought the tension of a tactical shooter to heights gamers had never seen. Ghost Recon took the community by storm offering some of the same tense aspects of stealth and tactics but bringing them into an outside enviorment makeing it an entire new experience that many people consider one of the best they have ever had with PC gaming (me).

Now what the hell has happened... Many PC gamers dont even know there is a second Ghost Recon that was made for Xbox, not only this but it was extremely mediocre and eliminted alot of what made Ghost Recon so great, freedom and realism from a first person prepective. If there was ever a more appropriate time to use the word "consolized" this is it. Tom Clancy games now appear rushed and sloppy with not as much flavor or attention to detail (imo the last great clancy experience was ravenshield) instead of revolutionizing every time a new game comes out, mission packs are rushed out dubbed as new full blown 50 dollar games (pandora tomorrow imo). Now Rainbow Six 4: Lockdown appears to be suffering a similar fate, sloppy looking graphics, "action movie" type plot and what appears to be less focus on tactics. I can only pray.. please save the clancy franchise! It seems that the only reason for the Tom Clancy label these days is to sell more copies EA style and it's starting to make me sick.

Maybe this mod can help u...
It's a combination of all the best bits and pieces of the FPS games we love. We've taken bits from GR, RvS, CoD and OFP and added some of our own ideas. Some of the maps are GR remakes as we like the gameplay on some of them. Some of the maps are completely original and are as good as any of the maps we've seen. Random respawns can be turned on or off. As for replays, we're working on that. You can record a "demo" ala CoD, so we're making an attempt to be able to activate that for m/p, as currently that's an s/p only function. Is it another GR? Different engine so comparisons like that are difficult to make. All the GR players I know that are testing it say it's more fun than original GR. The clan AoD is an old school GR squad, and they now have members purchasing FC to play this mod. Several had the game already and tested it, the results came back good and they're now buying it. I'd say test it yourself and report your personal feelings back to your buddies.
http://www.obsidianedge.com
http://www.crymod.com/index.php?templateid=showposts&fid=10&tid=1915

I can't agree with you more, babyheadcrab. I really hate what the Tom Clancy games are becoming. :(

I wonder if they'll ever release another Rainbow Six in the true Rogue Spear [and before that] style. With all the planning etc : (

This has almost made me install rogue spear again, i got the gold package sitting around somewhere.

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory looks good, more like an actual new game than merely an improvement on the first one, but beyond that, Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon have sold out, now they're coming out on consoles first and can;t even remember their PC roots, it is a sad time for tactical gamers

I cant think of a thing more terrefying than, a game like Rainbow 6 or ghost recon on a console.

Icarusintel said:
I hate him cause he's an asshole

So you know him then? Can you ask if he could send me his autograph

Anyway I pretty much agree with babyheadcrab. I though the first Rainbow Six was incredible, but I lost interest when they started releasing an expansion or a sequal like every week.

Ha, Tom Clancy's a genre now? :D

I always liked Splinter Cell a lot more than Rainbow Six, even if it is overly-linear. :)

Whatever. The Tom Clancy genre all went down hill after Red Storm Rising.

I loved rainbow six!

Had it for the n64 and pc...I still have fond memories of playing it on the n64. :(

Seppo said:
So you know him then? Can you ask if he could send me his autograph

Anyway I pretty much agree with babyheadcrab. I though the first Rainbow Six was incredible, but I lost interest when they started releasing an expansion or a sequal like every week.
I went to school with a couple of his kids, one of his daughters was in my grade, but I didn;t really talk to him much and he doesn;t seem like the type to give autographs happily

Raven Shield was great, had lots of fun playing co-op. But that RS4 is rape in its purest form.

Yes because now they are starting to "consolize" it (taking the core gameplay and dumbing it down so the dumb console fanboys don't get confused, adding a typical hollywood action movie storyline, putting in more shiny stuff so the console fanboys start drooling in awe, adding a ton of explosions so the console fanboys go "ooooooooo big boom boom and shiney red button me wanna press button!" and more stupid things)

Zeus said:
Yes because now they are starting to "consolize" it (taking the core gameplay and dumbing it down so the dumb console fanboys don't get confused, adding a typical hollywood action movie storyline, putting in more shiny stuff so the console fanboys start drooling in awe, adding a ton of explosions so the console fanboys go "ooooooooo big boom boom and shiney red button me wanna press button!" and more stupid things)

:LOL: :LOL:

problem is... it sells :frown:

Zeus said:

Most PC fanboys are only that because of graphics.

Wow stereotyping is fun.

:| Ravenshield will probably be the last good Rainbow Six game... sadly. Even at that the support for the game sucks ass! The latest patch for it was a huge letdown... so many hackers too, in this game it's hard to tell as well. But, if there IS a RS4 for PC, i'll probably give it a go(hopefully demo) because I'm hoping a PC version will be very much different than the console version.

They may aswell stop with the console stuff.... speaking of wich, I hate ubisoft.

Anything after raven shield will probably be bad and "action packed". Rainbow Six was a very good game for its age (and its still nice today).

Icarusintel said:
I went to school with a couple of his kids, one of his daughters was in my grade, but I didn;t really talk to him much and he doesn;t seem like the type to give autographs happily

Oh you actually know him, I thought you were just kidding.
You should've married the girl so you could've just lived with his father's money

Seppo said:
Oh you actually know him, I thought you were just kidding.
You should've married the girl so you could've just lived with his father's money
eh, she's a nice enough girl and all, but not really my type

Never tried R6, Rogue Spear owned, Raven Shield was decent. The new trailer almost brought me to tears =/

This started way before RS4, it started with RS3 for XB/PS2/GC, I liked it but it shouldn't be called RS because there's seriously very little tactical about it, then came the RS3 expansion for the XB, then GR2, and I agree, they -are- dumbing it down, I really don't see why tho, many of them have teen ratings and most teens here who likes game can easily handle Rainbow Six Raven Shield.:p

Splinter Cell was a fantastic game....still is matter of fact.

Hunt for Red October was awesome....both book and movie......KRAAZYIVAN....ping.

OMFG, I can't believe this. A move was made, in favor of PC gamers. It's ****ing unbelievable. I thought we were doomed for sure. I'm so happy. :thumbs:

Well all I can say is they better not **** this one up.

Back