I miss pc games ...

You practically have to spend 12 months waiting for it to finish downloading don't you?

Uh no. Use usenet seriously you can get max download speeds easy. No ISP usenet server? Join a private torrent community and keep your ratio up. So no your competley wrong by the time a pirate has the game you're busy going to a store to get it or waiting for it by post.

You have no idea how many people just download their respective torrent programs and expect it to work. You need to tweak the settings, open ports, etc. When downloading mods, I often get 500kbps+. If I were to DL Crysis right now, I'd be done tomorrow morning. This is why people don't buy PC games anymore. A simple over night DL and you have it.

But it does just work. UPNP bitch. Not the most secure method of networking but hey it works out of the box.

Call shit shit when you see it: They are dumbing down games to cater to the lowest common denominator.

Like Bethesda and Fallout 3.

So can you blame them for following a tried and true method of profit generation? Nobody cares about the hardcore singple player people anymore. That's not neccesarily a bad thing because these days I just don't have the time to get indepth into games. MP all the way, quick and easy.

Oh, so you've played it? ****ing idiot, go back to No Mutants Allowed

Heh, at least the intellectual level there is above the response "****ing idiot".

So can you blame them for following a tried and true method of profit generation? Nobody cares about the hardcore singple player people anymore. That's not neccesarily a bad thing because these days I just don't have the time to get indepth into games. MP all the way, quick and easy.

But it's overall detrimental to the quality of the genre overall. Example? Bioshock. The "say yes to the player" policy has created a game that fails to live up to it's great predecessors except in terms of atmosphere.

And INCREDIBLE PROFITS.

...I assume.

Heh, at least the intellectual level there is above the response "****ing idiot".

But it's overall detrimental to the quality of the genre overall. Example? Bioshock. The "say yes to the player" policy has created a game that fails to live up to it's great predecessors except in terms of atmosphere.

who are you and when did you get admin??? ive never seen you in this forum before.

I just realized Mikael is into furry art.

I'm not going to say anything.

The piracy argument is too much of an easy scapegoat. NPD numbers show continuing increase in pc games' profit and that's w\o online purchases and MMO monthly subscriptions.

Of course piracy takes it's toll, but really when you release a pc game with no mouse support of the option to change resolution do you really think we'll buy it? Make PC games that are made to play on a PC. Most of the devs just take the easier road of making console game and even the ports are just horrible. PES for pc for years expected you to know what X does on the PS controller because it doesn't show the action of the button...the same for DMC3. If you don't bother to make the game PLAYABLE, why do you expect us to buy it? There would be less backlash even if the port required a 360 pc controller. Like, you are already doing nothing in the year between the port, so just make it require a controller and be done with it.

The crysis example is not good. Common, it's a game that is made for a small precentage of pc gamers. How well can your game sell when the requirements exclude most everybody? and it's not like it's the best game of the year.

I miss the days when I actually could play games on my PC. Back in, like, 1999. My current computer doesn't even have a graphics card.

I miss games that arent a 6 hour throwaway single player campaign with mp tacked on at the last minute ...but that's what happens when pc gaming plays second fiddle to console games. Console gamers determine what games will be made and how they will be made ..the market share is larger therefore pc games get the trickle down effect because for the most part we're an afterthought

anyways mmos is the only saving grace these days as gamers are still stuck on "the next big graphics thing" which is why games like the Witcher, which offers up an adult playing experience that doesnt rely on playing to western sensibilities, is still successful des[ite a sea of console games made for the pc market

You have no idea how many people just download their respective torrent programs and expect it to work. You need to tweak the settings, open ports, etc. When downloading mods, I often get 500kbps+. If I were to DL Crysis right now, I'd be done tomorrow morning. This is why people don't buy PC games anymore. A simple over night DL and you have it.

Hmm, well no wonder so many games now adays have such a significant Multiplayer component...

Think about it. A warezed game can probably not be played online since it's got a stolen/used/banned key, and probably doesn't have a crack for the multiplayer exe.

Therefore, the more they make the multiplayer game the meat of the game, the less likely they are to be hurt by wares.

I don't even have to mention Steam here...

And it sucks for me and others without internet, because I buy games, and I can't install any Steam games, MMORPGs, and other games that require internet. It doesn't matter if I paid for them or not - I can't even play them offline.

So I get stuck with a Singleplayer campaign which is only half the game, and in many cases, I don't buy them because I know I won't be able to play them (steam).

The people who pay always suffer from the effects of thieves.

If someone steals a bunch of shit from Mart*mart, they have to mark up their prices. Who ends up paying is the people who actually pay for things - not the thieves. And it's the same for software, music, and movie piracy.

Here is what they need to do.

Ok, In the past few months, I've been able to pick up over 100 DVD's at $3 to $5 each. (yes, life without internet is quite boring)

Now, I'd rather pay $3 for a decent movie, than steal the movie, rent it, or download it.

I'll make the bold assumption that it should be the same for any media. If they bring the prices of the games/music/ and movies down, then more people would rather buy them instead of downloading them. It's unbelievable that publishers still dont' get it. What happened when Nintendo lowered the price of the Gamecube to $99? I'll tell you in case you don't know... Sales of the gamecube doubled practically overnight. When people feel like they are getting a good deal, they will 'impulse buy'.

Imagine you are at the store and a brand new game that you have been anticipating has come out today. You haven't read any reviews, but you have been waiting for this game to come out and you expect it to be a great game. Now you see the price is only $19.99 (US) where you expected it to be $50. You buy it without a second thought. What I'm saying, in case it isn't obvious is that they could make a hell of a lot more money if they move units, rather than charge as much as they can for the media/game. The dual layer DVD that the game is printed on costs less than a dollar to these publishers, and the rest of the package is a similar cost. Besides, the more people that buy something, the more publicity it gets, and this helps to sell even more units.

That way they can play the games legitimately online too, and there are other advantages as well, like peace of mind, and instruction booklets, among other things.

Shit, I should be in marketing.

EDIT: Oh, and out of those 100 DVD's I bought... If any of them were more than $5 I wouldn't have bought them. That's right. If the movies were more than $5, I wouldn't have bought any of them.

At less than $5 I bought 100 movies.

At greater than $5 I bought 0. None.

Do the math, I'm talking to you... Marketing.

Lower the price of these games and other media, and you won't be able to keep them on the shelves. And, in sales, that is a good thing.

I'm hoping that Fallout 3 can be fun without having to add 3 gigs worth of mods to it first. That is the reason that I never really got into Oblivion, and why I still prefer Marrowind.

That's a ****-ton of money that they will never see.

I dont wanna turn this thread into a debate about piracy, but I have to disagree with this. I doubt that the people who pirate this game would buy it anyways. Because its out there for free, people have nothing to lose.

And better software is just gonna alienate customers even more. Someones gonna eventually crack it, so it'll become useless very quickly.

I do realize people download games that they would otherwise not buy, but you can't deny a mentionable portion of that income is scrapped because of how easy and available pirating is.

I do realize people download games that they would otherwise not buy, but you can't deny a mentionable portion of that income is scrapped because of how easy and available pirating is.

For sure, its mentionable. Not 100% of pirates wouldnt have otherwise bought the game, but I just have a hard time seeing over 30% doing it regardless of being able to afford or access a legitimate copy of the game.

I'm hoping that Fallout 3 can be fun without having to add 3 gigs worth of mods to it first. That is the reason that I never really got into Oblivion, and why I still prefer Marrowind.

I won't mind too much if I have to Mod it, but I sure as hell won't be praising Bethesda if I do.

I have absolutely shit expectations after Oblivion's fail.

If it's good, I'll be even more pleased :D

I don't even have to mention Steam here...
Steam is not a perfect solution, it can only delay piracy by a few weeks. Even as we speak, a warez'd HL2 Ep2 is circulating around the hostel. When I tell people that I buy the games I enjoy, their first reaction is "are you crazy?"

And I can understand that, because for Rs.2000 (~USD 50) you can order 10 regular pizzas from Domino's here. The only reason I let myself get ripped off is that PC developers need all the help they can get. Computer games are seriously overpriced in developing countries, and I have no idea why something that's manufactured locally should be so expensive. :\

EDIT: And don't get me started on audio CDs.

Steam is not a perfect solution, it can only delay piracy by a few weeks. Even as we speak, a warez'd HL2 Ep2 is circulating around the hostel. When I tell people that I buy the games I enjoy, their first reaction is "are you crazy?"

And I can understand that, because for Rs.2000 (~USD 50) you can order 10 regular pizzas from Domino's here. The only reason I let myself get ripped off is that PC developers need all the help they can get. Computer games are seriously overpriced in developing countries, and I have no idea why something that's manufactured locally should be so expensive. :\

You get $5 pizzas? YOU BASTARD!

The price of the actual physical part of the game is rather insignificant compared to the price of the software on the CD. Where it is manufactured shoud have little effect on prices (as long as they manufacture it on earth, that is :p).

To me it is the opposite, games have become cheaper and cheaper due the weak USD. I can now get games off steam for about 60% of the price I would pay in a store.

Back