I want Exactly whats happening!

G

General1337

Ok i start the game Half Life 2... I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING! Somone please tell me the story i never beat hl1... If anyone can tell me the story please say.

You aren't supposed to know what's happening.
The last thing you remember was what happened at the end of HL1, but I don't think it'll make much difference.

basically you are a scienitist in a secret base, an experiment goes wrong and the place becomes full of aliens. you fight your way thru, in the end a mysterious g-man appears and hires you for a job.

Well, if you really want to know here it is:

Gordon Freeman is the main character of HL and HL 2. In HL 1 he came to a facility called Black Mesa to do some research on "anamoulous materials" . Anyway in an experiment something went terribly wrong and Gordon accidentaly opened a portal to the alien world of Xen (I think). You basically fight your way out of the Black MEsa lab until you reach the Lambda bunker where several Black Mesa scientists took refuge. Here at the Lambda bunker, you are sent in a portal to Xen to kill whatever is causing all this alien mess. You finally reach Xen, fight your way across some parts of the planet, then you reach the final boss called "Ninalath" (something like that" He's a big ugly baby, well you kill Ninalath and you get transported by the G-Man (Government Man) who hires you to work for him, and the portal Gordon accidentaly opened had resulted in a world wide alien invaison. (The G-Man is the guy in the HL2 intro, you had to beat HL 1 to really understand that weird beginning). Well you (Gordon) agree to work for him, since you (Gordon) did accidentaly begin the invaision of earth and therefore have the moral obligation to save it, plus, the G-man says you will fight a battle that you cannot win if you refuse to work for him.

In HL 2, I guess you were sent to City 17 to do the G-man and mankind's bidding. Also to save the future of mankind.

Well that's about it, do you understand now?

Wow....!!!! That answeered a lot of my questions. But here are some things i still dont understand.

1. Who is the combine? where are they from?
2. What the hell is gman suppose to be.
3. Why are there those ugly alien teammates?
4. What is breed suppose to be and what is he?
5. Where has gordon been?
6. Why did u start in a train in hl2?
7. Why is the combine army trying to kill everyone?
8. WHat is a strider? a combine or xen? or a robot?
9. What happend to the hgrunts and all them from hl1?
10. Will there be a half life 3?

Why don't you finish the game, THEN ask us any lingering questions (which you will have anyway)?

General1337 said:
Wow....!!!! That answeered a lot of my questions. But here are some things i still dont understand.

most questions you don't know for sure, others are told ingame (or in newspapers :p).
2 --> nobody knows, the name gman comes from government man i tought, but who he is or what he does no one knows :).
3 -> those are vortigauns, you fought against them in hl1, now they help you because you released them from slavery.
4 -> your old employer @ black mesa (the compound where hl1 occured).
6 -> nostalgy i guess :p
10 -> yes
for the rest: just play the freaky game :)

General1337 said:

1: The combine is a group of races enslaved by the original combine aliens (called the advisor). they are their army and fight for them and come from another dimension. They invade other dimensions and enslave those dimensions they invade.
2: the gman is your employer, a mysterious goverment man who knows alot more then you do
3: Those are the vortigaunt, you fought them in HL1, but after you killed the final boss in hl1 (the one who enslaved the vourtigaunt) they are on the side of the humans
4: Dr.breen was the former administrator of the Black mesa research facillity.
5: this is not know. and impossible to find out because there are no clue's to where he might have been. there are some clue's to what happened in his absent. all that is know is that he is now 10 years in to the future since black mesa.
6: not know, prolly as stated in the psot before me, nostalgy. you started in a train to in hl1 heading for your job.
7: because the resistance is fighting them agains suppression. from the combine's side you can say they fight everyone who stand in their way and try to stop them.
8: the striders are a race called "synth" (the alien dropship and gunship are also from this race, same for the little blobby bio scanners that drop the mines.). basicly the synth have been inslaved and inhanced by technology, and slowly involved into biomechanical creatures.
9: Not sure about this one, there where supposed to be alot of aliens from hl1 in hl2, but they where left out, maby saved for a bigger purpose in Half, Life³
10: yes, it was announced around the same time Half-Life² was announced.

Hey Evil, how did you find out about the Striders and the Gunships?

edit: That is, in the Citadel, we saw that the dudes with no hands and feet were welding them while they were docked on the walls, so I assumed that they were just machines of the Combine.

Incidentally, were those No-hand/feet guys converted humans or what?

I was playing in the citidel and when i was on that prisoner thing i saw those wood legged dudes who are they?

GO AND PLAY HALF-LIFE 1!

Honestly, it will be worth it. If you have Half-life: Source, do that. Remember this is the original and best, won so many Game of the Year awards it's insane. Go play!

DannoHung said:
Hey Evil, how did you find out about the Striders and the Gunships?

edit: That is, in the Citadel, we saw that the dudes with no hands and feet were welding them while they were docked on the walls, so I assumed that they were just machines of the Combine.

Incidentally, were those No-hand/feet guys converted humans or what?
they are biomechs, mechanical enhanced or engineerd bio creatures

I heard it was in the "behind the bars" book from prima. (the synth thing)

technology

half life

are those made into links? i dont like this new advertisement system, i dont want my words altered like that.

General1337 said:

I will try to answer this with a little more...literacy...than some people have. Much of this was revealed through the course of the game in subtle hints but if you really want to know...none if it is really a major spoiler. However, anything that you find out in Half-Life 2 instead of Half-Life 1 I will put in spoiler tags just to be safe.

1. We don't know for sure.

You find out very quickly that they are entities from another dimension who use other races as slaves in their armies.

2. We have no earthly idea. Some say he works for the government (G-Man), some say he's from the future, some say he's a Q-like figure ala Star Trek: The Next Generation. We have absolutely no idea. He appeared in strange places regularly in Half-Life 1 but never spoke to you until the end. In the end of HL1 he gave you the choice between working for him or, well, he didn't say what the other choice was. But I think it's fair to say it would have been unpleasant. Half-Life 2 assumes you chose to join him.

3. They are the Vortigaunts. They were a race of people from Xen who were being used as slaves in an army invading Earth. When you go to Xen in the end of Half-Life 2 and kill Nihilanth, they are freed from its control and then in the years that have passed since Half-Life 1 have joined forces with the humans in fighting the Combine. Some people who play the game theorize that Nihilanth may have been one of the Combine representatives but no one knows for sure yet.

4. Dr. Breen was your supervisor at the Black Mesa Research Facility. You never saw him in HL1 but your colleages did talk about him sometimes.

After a 7 hour war in which the Combine took over Earth, Dr. Breen negotiated humanity's surrender in the hope of guaranteeing Earth's survival. In exchange, the Combine made him overseer of the entire planet.

5. We don't know for sure. However, because the G-Man says, "wake up" and "rise and shine," and because characters say in Half-Life 2 to Gordon, "Goodness, you haven't changed a bit" even though it's been several years, some people theorize that he's been in suspended animation or was simply thrown forward in time (meaning that not a single minute passed from Gordon's perspective between the end of HL1 and the beginning of HL2).

6. Both the ending and beginning sequences of Half-Life 1 took place on a train. It's an unexplained aspect of the Half-Life mythos that trains are somehow important or symbolic of something; we just don't know exactly how or what yet.

7. They're actually not at first. They're trying to keep everyone under watch so they can control the population. Dr. Breen says it's for the good of humanity, so humanity can evolve without being slaves to our own passions.

If you've seen screenshots of the Combine trying to kill everyone, that's because later in the game a resistance cell starts fighting back against the Combine, and a small war takes place.

8. You'll see what a Strider is later. The Combine I've just explained. When someone refers to "a combine" improper rather than "The Combine" proper in a post usually they are referring to one of the many soldiers you fight. Xen is the planet you went to in the end of Half-Life 1 where the Vortigaunts -- among others -- came from. I'm not sure what you mean by "what is a robot." I think everyone knows what a robot is, 'cause they're not fictional. Heheh.

9. The human armies of every nation have been supressed and disbanded or eliminated by the Combine, so the soldiers from Half-Life 1 are not present. Many other species of aliens which were enemies in Half-Life 1 are not present simply because they did not continue invading after you defeated Nihilanth.

10. Almost definitely. I don't remember hearing it announced but judging from the success of Half-Life 2, and from some of the unanswered questions in it, there will almost certainly be another Half-Life game.

Half-Life 2 comes off in the end as seeming very much like an "Empire Strikes Back" type middle episode in a trilogy.

He's named the gman only because no one could think of a name for him, and he really didnt have a name up until hl2, the name g-man comes from a model entity or something in hl1, nothing official until they made it official in op4 when adrian wrote "government man" in his journal.

The trains that take citizens from the cities and to the Citadels are also some kind of symbols... God (or in this case, G-man) knows what they mean though. You hear people say that the trains leave full, and come back empty.
In the beginning I was thinking holocaust, but it turned out they are "just" enslaving those people

PrivateerLunatic said:
In the end of HL1 he gave you the choice between working for him or, well, he didn't say what the other choice was. But I think it's fair to say it would have been unpleasant.
Actually, the other choice is fighting a bunch of ailiens without any weapons at all. If you choose that, the screen simply goes black shortly after you spot the ailiens. But I presume it's just suicide. I think that the teleportation technology is not dependent on time, which is shown in the game:
When you and Alyx take the teleporter back from Nova Prospect, it takes 7 days to get to Dr. Kleiner's lab. Although they say that is because the teleporter is inperfect, I think it shows that time distortion within teleportation travel is possible, and that when you jump into the portal in the HL1 ending, you get out at the train to City 17.

Ok....So wait a minute i think i got something here. Maby Gordon was trying to teleport somewhere but when he teleported it was 10 years when he got there. just like when you and alyx get on that teleporter a "week" passes when trying to get somewhere. MABY you were at the xen plannet trying to teleport back to home. I dont no cause i didnt play half life 1. Maby this is a real inanswered Question.

If ten years passed...Wait a minute...Uh Oh. MABY hl3 IS... DAMNIT THATS GONNA SUCK!!!. Maby hl3 is back in the ten years at what happend in those ten years! there gonna make it like some shity star wars trilogy or something. Hope not :O. Still the graphix are gonna rock in hl3.

A friend told me that the nihalith in Half life 1 says Gman is a alien.. is that true?

I played Half-Life 1 Source and beat it...I get some stuff The hgrunts died in a war with the aliens i see that gman takes u to where hgrunts fought aliens... This game is still very amazeing.

Also Anyone know what a good software is to record screen videos?

nihilanth says 'you are man. he is not man'

amongst many other equally cryptic things...like

'we know only pain'
'betray. he will btray you'
'die die die'

etc

General1337 said:
Ok i start the game Half Life 2... I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING! Somone please tell me the story i never beat hl1... If anyone can tell me the story please say.

You really need to beat Half-Life 1.

Back