IB/AP/Whatever testing

Kinslayer

Spy
Reaction score
So, who else is going through this right now? Not sure if A-Levels are at the same time, but AP and IB just began testing this week.

I'm taking:

IB English HL
IB Maths HL (FUUUCK - bombed that paper one today)
IB Music SL
IB History HL
IB Physics SL
IB French HL

Goes on all of May. Good news is that high school is basically over for me now. Woo!

I just had the Computer Science test on Tuesday. I'm so pissed that I have to take two tests for Econ; it's bullshit. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna do terrible on both Macro and Micro, which makes it a waste of money.

Are you doing the IB diploma?

I found AP incredibly easy. My school is tailoured to IB and is naturally extremely competitive when it comes to it, so I only did certificate.

Have to deal with 2 final papers and 1 test in the next couple weeks.

I took AP exams..... from 2003 to 2005. Hahaha.
Crap I feel old.

Went through the IB class for higher level math but didn't actually do the IB program (seemed like too much work for little-to-no benefit). My crazy old chemistry teacher always thought I was doing IB (despite my repeatedly telling her I wasn't) and tried to send my lab notebook off for IB grading.

I always saw AP stuff as worthless. Half the time it won't transfer at all to college and it sort of ruins the breeze that high school was. I mean, unless you plan on trying to graduate in 3 years or something, you might as well take normal classes and go for the better education you'd get in a college class for the same subject. That's just my opinion though.

IB is really easy because you are marked on a curve against the whole world, and the world is full of dumb kids. I had like an empty page left on my math exams and still got a 7.

IB is really easy because you are marked on a curve against the whole world, and the world is full of dumb kids. I had like an empty page left on my math exams and still got a 7.

Which math exam did you take? (Studies / SL / HL / Further)

IB Math HL is considered the hardest exam (after further mathematics) when compared to both AP Calc BC and A-Levels.

I always saw AP stuff as worthless. Half the time it won't transfer at all to college and it sort of ruins the breeze that high school was. I mean, unless you plan on trying to graduate in 3 years or something, you might as well take normal classes and go for the better education you'd get in a college class for the same subject. That's just my opinion though.

Most of my AP's transferred to college. Got like 10 credit hours of Spanish, didn't have to take any first year chemistry or biology, got out of both semesters of history and a semester of government, didn't have to take any English, got out of 2/3 of calculus. No reason not to opt out of those classes if you are capable of doing higher level classes without the intro college course.

I think I could've graduated in 3 1/2 years, but stayed all 4 and had time to take a bunch of fun extra classes that I actually wanted to take -- three environmental engineering classes, hydrogeology, astronomy, native plants, piano. Native plants was the most awesome class ever. We went out on free field trips every week (combination of learning new plants and being quizzed on scientific names of whatever random plants the TA points at along the trail -- I think we ended up being able to identify ~150 plants by the end of the semester). Sometimes our prof brought food for class. Astronomy lab was second most awesome.

So yeah, take AP exams --> get college credit --> take totally random fun classes. Win.

Took AP Biology and Chemistry and passed both AP exams.

IMO, it is a ton of work, and a lot of people would hate the extra work. However, for me the extra work has made first year university (I opted not to get bumped ahead to second year courses) a bit easier, and every bit helps.

I'm pretty sure I got a 4 or 5 on the Computer Science test. I'm actually thinking about doing that as a career, so this should help me.

AP World test next thursday, kinda nervous about the multiple choice section (apparently last year was the "easy" year, this year we might get the hard year) but definitely stressing about the essay-writing section; I take too much time to write. If I have to sacrifice balanced 7s just to get an 8 or 9 on one or two of the essays, I'll do it goddamnit.

The dumbest of the dumb pass the AP world test. No pressure.

Just finished AP US History, totally raped it. Taking AP English Comp next week on wednesday.

The dumbest of the dumb pass the AP world test. No pressure.

I know I'll pass, I just want to get a 5. My teacher has lauded me all year about that. Lots of pressure not to disappoint him, to be honest.

Haha I'm taking IB as well.

I've got 2 days before my English Higher Paper 2. Then I have a week break before my Biology, Econ and Chinese paper.

I heard the Higher Math paper was ridiculous. I have a couple of friends, one going to Stanford and one going to Cambridge (ranked 4th in Asia in math) who was unable to solve 5 questions in the paper. Heck, I heard one of our teachers say if they took a higher math paper they probably wouldn't get a 7.

I heard the Higher Math paper was ridiculous. I have a couple of friends, one going to Stanford and one going to Cambridge (ranked 4th in Asia in math) who was unable to solve 5 questions in the paper. Heck, I heard one of our teachers say if they took a higher math paper they probably wouldn't get a 7.

Yeah, paper 1 was ****ing ridiculous. Good to hear that wasn't the sentiment at just my school, haha. Paper 2 wasn't so bad in my opinion though - did MUCH better on that one.

You going for diploma as well?

Yeah, paper 1 was ****ing ridiculous. Good to hear that wasn't the sentiment at just my school, haha. Paper 2 wasn't so bad in my opinion though - did MUCH better on that one.

You going for diploma as well?

Yep, I'm going for the Diploma. I have a nice offer from UBC and U of Toronto, but McGill placed me on their waiting list.

If I don't get in McGill I'll be going off to UBC.

I passed my IB with no revision this time last year.

IB Psychology Higher
IB History Higher
IB English Higher
IB Maths Standard
IB French Standard
IB Biology Standard

I enjoyed IB a great deal and would do it again. The problem with it is that because many Universitys dont have their entry requirements set out as clearly for the IB as they do for A levels the UCAS point conversion makes the IB much harder. Passing is easy but getting into a good Uni is much harder than with 'conventional' A-levels.

Holy shit you were right, AP World was easy as ****. If all goes well I got at least 50-55 MC right and two 8/9s and one 2/3. Here's to a possible 5. :cheers:

I took both Econ tests today. Afterwards I realized I payed $180 to get boned in the ass.

Lube didn't help.

Holy shit you were right, AP World was easy as ****. If all goes well I got at least 50-55 MC right and two 8/9s and one 2/3. Here's to a possible 5. :cheers:

There's something wrong with the scoring system if you can bomb an essay and still score 100%.

:l

Back