I'm curious...

Aethaecyn

Reaction score
so enlighten me, I have some uhh.. older system specifications a 800 mhz processor, and a 10 GB harddrive, I just upgraded my TNT2 32mb card to a geforce 4 mx440 64 mb.. I might be able to upgrade one of them b4 hl2 comes out, which should I do? I'm thinking the harddrive just so i can have hl1 and hl2 at the same time since 800 mhz is afterall the minimum requirements... what do you opt for? Oh and are their any apps that can say overclock (*is new to this sort of thing*) the 800 mhz to an even slightly higher amount, i mean not to the point where I need to soak the thing in nitrogen type stuff to cool it, but just maybe 50 mhz or so... every little bit helps me I reckon..

not much at all.. its all about how much i can persuade out of my parents, but i think it would scare my mom if i told her i wanted 300 bucks for a 3.2 ghz processor, rofl... so uhh lower the better really
EDIT- Should i just mug people to buy new hardware? =)... could see my own special on E! about how moore's law drove me to a life of crime... hehe

dont waste money on a new video card, your system wont keep up, the cpu and ram and mobo are just as important as the video card.

anyone got any suggestions/ball park ranges on how much say a 2 ghz motherboard/cpu combination would cost? or any links thereof..

Originally posted by Aethaecyn
anyone got any suggestions/ball park ranges on how much say a 2 ghz motherboard/cpu combination would cost? or any links thereof..

dont forget the ram, maybe a new case, and the videocard.

newegg.com is good if you're in the US, also searching pricewatch.com and then checking resselerratings.com can provide cheap prices as well as piece of mind.

Ok, found some decent hard drive possibilities their, but uhm.. I have no idea about the whole cpu/motherboard things.. i mean they have this or that slots for this or that memory and cpu's and I have no idea what cpu's fit with what motherboards.. can I buy a fast cpu that will still work with my current motherboard? do you have to solder these things? *confused* Edit- How do I see what type of motherboard/what type of cpu's it supports, that UI have? preferrabley without having to look at it physically, my case is funky, I think i'll have to break it to look at my motherboard in that way... i'm fine with some of the athlon xp processor prices but if i have to get one of those 121 dollar motherboards with it then forget it...

Ok, found some decent hard drive possibilities their, but uhm.. I have no idea about the whole cpu/motherboard things.. i mean they have this or that slots for this or that memory and cpu's and I have no idea what cpu's fit with what motherboards.. can I buy a fast cpu that will still work with my current motherboard? do you have to solder these things? *confused*

depends, if your current cpu is an amd athlon then you could put a faster athlon xp in, but it wont run idealy because the board its on is old and not equipped properly to handle it. if you have an 800 mhz intel cpu then there is no possibility of using a new cpu on the board.

you dont need to solder anything.

I recommend getting a pentium 4 or an AMD athlon xp. I'd go with the AMD cuz it's cheaper and performs exceptionally.

At Recoup we've got a motherboard/cpu/case combo for 150, I think it's an XP 1800 but it's actually sautered onto the motherboard so you wouldn't be able to upgrade it in the future.

Originally posted by Noodlygod
At Recoup we've got a motherboard/cpu/case combo for 150, I think it's an XP 1800 but it's actually sautered onto the motherboard so you wouldn't be able to upgrade it in the future.

recoup? cpu soldered to the board? hmmm doubt that.

Try selling your current comp for as much as possible. Like maybe $10

roflmfao, ok tell me will This http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?description=13-135-126 ..... work with this http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?description=19-103-351... the uhh nonrefurbished in stock one, teehee... if so its just a matter of begging my parents for the next 80 days... i know its not bleeding edge, its better tho, its all that matters, =)
EDIT- oh and the case is fine if I hit it hard enuf to unjam it.. plus i have another that is an exact duplicate of it in the other room, could weld them together or something for easier access, rofl..

roflmfao, ok tell me will This http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?description=13-135-126 ..... work with this http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?description=19-103-351.. the uhh nonrefurbished in stock one, teehee... if so its just a matter of begging my parents for the next 80 days... i know its not bleeding edge, its better tho, its all that matters, =)
EDIT- oh and the case is fine if I hit it hard enuf to unjam it.. plus i have another that is an exact duplicate of it in the other room, could weld them together or something for easier access, rofl..

whats the second item? the link didnt work for me, the K7S5A link worked, but the second one said 0 items found.

It looks like you have a 266/200 Mghz FSB mobo paired up with a 333 Mghz FSB proccessor, it'll work but your processor will run slower than it could.

You should always synchronise your ram to your processor FSB.

Ok first of all i fixed the link, sry put periods in the url space, rofl... ok secondly the processor says /266 FSB Processor... i dont see 333 anywhere, so will that still be limited by the motherboard? Also rite now i have 384 MB of ram uhh i dont know how much pin's it is or if its sdram or DDR.. anyway can i tell without ripping the case open and counting the pins? also what do you mean by synchronize my ram with meh processor? how much ram would i need to synchronize with that particular processor?

Ok Since no one wants to answer my above questions ! GRRRRR! Then tell me how to overclock, i hear overclock this, overclock that everywhere having to do with hardware, how do you even do it? programs?
EDIT- if you are capable please answer my above questions foremost, this afterword, thank you.

processor =
AMD Athlon XP 1700+ Thoroughbred /266 FSB Processor CPU 1700+/ 1.47GHz -OEM, AXDA1700 The Ultimate Digital Media Experience in an x86 Platform.Tailored for Microsoft® Windows® XP. Featuring QuantiSpeed Architecture for Rapid Execution of Applications. Tomorrow’s Technology Today.The Power of a Reliable Partner.
Specifications:
CPU: 1.47 GHz
Type: 1700 XP Thoroughbred
Cache: 256K
BUS: 266MHz
Micron: .13
Socket A (PGA)
OEM - CPU Only

motherboard =
ECS K7S5A PRO USB 2.0 SiS® 735 SOCKET A MOTHERBOARD - RETAIL Back Plate Included
Specifications:
Supported CPU:Supports all AMD XP Processor
Chipset:SiS® 735 System Chipset
FSB:266/200 MHz
RAM:2 DDR DIMM sockets and 2 DIMM sockets support Two 184-pin DDR SDRAM (DDR200, DDR266) or Two 168-pin 3.3V SDRAM (PC100, PC133). Maximum: 1.0GB (DDR or SDRAM) (can not be used simultaneously)
IDE:4x IDE devices Ultra DMA 33/66/100
Slots:5 PCI Slots, 1 4X AGP slot, 1 AMR slot.
Ports:2xPS2,1xCOM,1xLPT,4xUSB,1xLAN and Audio Ports

those two.. ok and they r both only 45 and 47 dollars

EDIT-1 4X AGP slot it says, I have a geforce4 mx 440 64 MB that runs an agp slot but i dunno if it is 4x or 8x is the other one? also i dont know how many pins my ram has or if its ddr or sdram

EDIT- What in the world is a CNR slot? Do I need one?
EDIT-What is an AMR slot? do I need one?

Dood, first off get an xp 2000 or higher then get either an Abit mobo or Asus. I suggest The A7V8X-X from Asus.

recoup? cpu soldered to the board? hmmm doubt that.

Yep, Recoup Computers. And what are you doubting? Are you doubting that they have mobo/cpu combos with a cpu soldered to the board? I can take pictures if you like.

I would stay far away from the ECS K7S5A I've had nothing but problems with it. If you're able to scrounge up a bit more cash I would also reccomend an AMD XP 2000 and a Asus motherboard but I'd probably go for the A7N8X non-deluxe. It's an excellent board but it does cost a bit more.

Aeth: Your FSB speed will be determined by your motherboard. IF you've got a board that only supports 266mhz FSB speeds then you won't be able to use a 333mhz FSB processor. (At least not without underclocking it if it works at all, I haven't tried.) A quick easy way to tell if you have DDR Ram is to check the number of notches on the chip/mb If you've got a single notch in the ram then it's DDR, if you've got 2 then it's SDRAM. Synching your processor/memory just means running your memory at your bus speed. For example, if you have a cpu with a 266mhz FSB then it'd be best to get 266mhz DDR Ram. (PC2100) If you've got a cpu that's running at a 333mhz FSB it'd be best to get 333mhz DDR Ram. (PC2700) It doesn't have anything to do with the amount of memory you have, just the speed.

I would also reccomend that you avoid overclocking just because it shortens the life of the components and is generally not worth the 100mhz increase in CPU/GPU/Ram speed. I don't remember what a CNR slot is but an AMR slot is an Audio Modem Riser slot, it's for special modems that come with some motherboards and use the CPU for most of their processing.

so how about this instead.. would it be a batter combination

AMD Athlon XP 2000+/266 FSB Processor CPU - Retail 2000+/ 1.67GHz, AXDA2000BOX
The AMD Athlon XP processor with QuantiSpeed architecture powers the next generation in computing platforms, delivering extra performance for cutting-edge applications and an extra-ordinary computing experience.world's highest overall performing PC processor.
Specifications:
CPU: 1.67 GHz
Type: 2000 XP
Cache: 256K
Core: Thoroughbred
BUS: 266MHz
Socket A (PGA)
Retail box (Heatsink and Fan Included)

(i'm aware this is the deluxe one, any reason why not deluxe? its cheaper..)
Asus Motherboard for AMD Athlon/XP/Duron Processors, Model# A7N8X Deluxe
Specifications:
CPU Supported: Socket A AMD Athlon/XP/Duron (support AMD XP2800) Throughbred core CPU ready
Chipset: NVIDIA nForce2 SPP, nForce2 MCP-T
FSB: 333/266/200MHz
IDE: 2x channel ATA133
RAM: 3x 184-pin DIMM Sockets (PC3200/PC2700/PC2100 non-ECC DDR Ram)
Slots: 1x AGP (Pro/8X), 5x PCI
Ports: 6x USB(2.0),
Onboard Serial ATA: Silicon Image Sil 3112A Controller with 2 ports, support RAID 0/1
Onboard Audio: Realtek ALC650 6-ch w/built in amplifier, integrated APU (Audio Processor Unit), Soundstorm Encoder
Onboard LAN: MCP integrated 3Com MAC + Broadcom AC101L PHY
Onboard Firewire 1394: 2 Ports MCP-T integrated IEEE 1394a + Realtek PHY 8801B

Question # 1, if I have sdram currently, all those types of motherboards the A7N8X series only seem to support DDR. they all only support 8x agp slots, uhh how do i tell if my current video card is 8x or 4x and if it is a 4x then won't it not work with the A7N8X series?

Question # 2, Chipset: NVIDIA nForce2 SPP, nForce2 MCP-T .. what is a chipset? wuzzat mean? like a default video card or sumthin or what? *confuzzled*

Question # 3, what is a DIMM Sockets, and what does non-ECC DDR Ram as in the non-ecc?

Ok good. Deluxe is fine. What is your video card? You should buy ddr ram. Chipset is like what makes your cpu run. (someone expand please). DIMM means where ram is put. Someone else has to help you with non-ecc.

i'd go for the xp 2100 if you can, its the best value for the money you pay and the speed you get.

also, AGP8x is backward compatible, so it doesnt matter what your video card is now (your card is agp4x BTW).

the chipset has two components, the northbridge, and the southbridge, each one deals with different parts of the system (hardware)
read these two links and you'll have a good understanding of the chipset.
http://www.anandtech.com/chipsets/showdoc.html?i=1654

http://www.anandtech.com/chipsets/showdoc.html?i=1731

DIMM sockets are the sockets you put RAM in, and yes you'll need DDR for that motherboard. and ECC is error correction checking, its basically used for high end servers that need all data verified, home users dont need it, and there is a small performance hit i believe as well.

Ok i checked, all my ram has 2 notches in da bottom, yay DDR already, i have 3 128 sticks or something, rofl.. anyway umm the pin number is that the little golden things on the bottom of the ram? cause i counted one side and came up with 81 (i cant count) err mighta been 82, that doubled would be 164 and that sounds better but it says 184 pin, unless it means all those little tiny holes around where you put the ram in, uhh i don't feel like counting those... the insides of my motherboards fan is covered in some sort of black dust that was blowing it onto various other things, ick.. *note to self dont breath when cleaning out black dust, cough cough, my throat feels kinda parched.. teehee* well someone help me with the pin thing

Anyone have any thoughts on the Shuttle AV42 Socket 478 Motherboard, i foudn it in a package with a 2.0 ghz processor for 99 dollars, has all the slots/ram etc. i need for my stuf.. lifetime warranty... want to know if its a good motherboard/reliable etc.

Ok i checked, all my ram has 2 notches in da bottom, yay DDR already, i have 3 128 sticks or something, rofl.. anyway umm the pin number is that the little golden things on the bottom of the ram? cause i counted one side and came up with 81 (i cant count) err mighta been 82, that doubled would be 164 and that sounds better but it says 184 pin, unless it means all those little tiny holes around where you put the ram in, uhh i don't feel like counting those... the insides of my motherboards fan is covered in some sort of black dust that was blowing it onto various other things, ick.. *note to self dont breath when cleaning out black dust, cough cough, my throat feels kinda parched.. teehee* well someone help me with the pin thing

DDR has one notch. ddr has 184 pins.

Back