I'm looking for a fun hack 'n' slash.

Reaction score
I've gone through the standard Dungeon Sieges and Neverwinters of the PC world and am looking for something to satisfy my hunger for hack 'n' slash once again. I played World of Warcraft at my brother in law's place yesterday and it reminded me how much I love to hit things with a big sword.
Any ideas?
I've had my fill of Diablo, too.

If you like Diablo you'll most probably like Dungeon Siege.

Good fun in multiplayer :)

You could always check out Icewind Dale 1 & 2 as well (more fighting than Baldurs Gate)

I didn't like IWD 2, but I haven't had a chance to play the first.
Also note I said I'd already played Dungeon Siege =P

Psychanalysis05% said:
I've gone through the standard Dungeon Sieges and Neverwinters of the PC world and am looking for something to satisfy my hunger for hack 'n' slash once again. I played World of Warcraft at my brother in law's place yesterday and it reminded me how much I love to hit things with a big sword.
Any ideas?
Morrowind, plenty of dungeon crawling and hacking and slashing and running for your life when you find yourself overrun by nasties. Combat is fun providing you install the combat enhanced mod, improves fighting, includes a slowmo Matrix effect, lets you hack off body parts aswell as smash armor, can knock weapons out of the enemies hands and pick them up. Can decapitate and perform special moves. Can also if you find the game too easy, increase enemy stats globally.

I'd like to get into Morrowind, I had a hard time enjoying it when I tried it last year. I found the world very bland and uninteresting and the animation and design seemed to pale in comparison to Gothic (which is one of the best PC rpgs ever in my opinion). I'll give it another try, though.

Also, anybody know of any fun freeware hack n slash romps? I heard about Mu Online and a couple others, but haven't found much.
Gamehippo really should include a Fantasy category.

Psychanalysis05% said:
I'd like to get into Morrowind, I had a hard time enjoying it when I tried it last year. I found the world very bland and uninteresting and the animation and design seemed to pale in comparison to Gothic (which is one of the best PC rpgs ever in my opinion). I'll give it another try, though.

Also, anybody know of any fun freeware hack n slash romps? I heard about Mu Online and a couple others, but haven't found much.
Gamehippo really should include a Fantasy category.
The visuals are pretty basic to start with, but its beauty is in being able to improve them with other mods. The animations are still a bit naff though, but those are next to impossible to fix (it might be completely open for modding, but the model file format is hell to work with) One you get into it though you start to see how great it can look. And if you run out of things to do in it, which is unlikely. You can just make more, or download new things for it. If you just want straight dungeon crawling you can download an app that generates random dungeons with various settings and pretty much not run out of new area's to fight in.

Ninja Gaiden (I'm not sure if you can consider that a hack n' slash game)
Otogi: Myth of Demons
Otogi 2: Immortal Warriors
And Soul Caibur 2 is really a weapons fighting game, but it's still fun.

Check Sacred out, it ****ing owns. Diablo is nothing compared to it.
And you might wanna try Guild wars, it's a mmo that is similar to diably only way coolet, but if you really wanna Hack & Slash Sacred is a must.

The first thing that came to mind when I saw the title was Jedi Outcast.

It's very fun, and if you get it, make sure to enable the dismemberment cheat ;)

Psychanalysis05% said:
Any ideas?
That's pretty sad, since in both Dungeon Siege and Neverwinter nights, all you do is click an enemy once :p

Gothic II is great if one want some interaction. Morrowind is good if one just want to kill things (it may be dull, but at least you do something... Especially if you download combat mods that allows you to do combos and such). Jedi Academy is good if you want to kill people with your. KOTOR got swords, and a great story.

Sadly you are a year too late for Savage, that had *FREAKIN BRILLIANT* multiplayer combat, with a hybrid melee/ranged system beating the snot out of even Gothic II (and thats in multiplayer!). People could fight for minutes if they where skilled, lol. Or end a game in 40 seconds in a bum rush of the enemy base, lol. It didnt have big swords, but you got an axe about 2m high if you where a Tier 3 human, heh. Doubt you'll find it now a days though, or any server.

Yeah, I was a big fan of Gothic.
Dungeon Siege and Neverwinter may have basic combat systems, but they're still shallow hack and slash romps.
I finished Jedi Outcast two years ago *shrug*
I hear Savage still has a big following and the creators are still building on the engine, so I might look into that.
Guild Wars is pretty mucht he only mmo I'm looking to get in to, so thanks for that.

Sacred is probably the newest, hack n' slash rpg. I'm playing through it atm.

there are dozens of console hack and slashes you might want to consider, assuming you're going for mindless killing and cool moves rather than story and interaction. As unimaginative as they are, all of the Lord of the Rings games on PS2 are a lot of fun, excellent animations and graphics and good, thoughtless violence.

they're very easy and very short, though.

Back