Info about the experiment.

gusIII

Reaction score
I read in the latest gamereactor, (free videogame magazine in Sweden) that Borealis is/was a mirror-experiment to Black mesa, and that we may go back to Black mesa in Half-Life 3.

You mean Half-Life 2 Episode 3.

We may be going to the Borealis, but we definitely won't be returning to Black Mesa considering it's a nuclear crater (it gets blown up at the end of Opposing Force).

You mean Half-Life 2 Episode 3.

We may be going to the Borealis, but we definitely won't be returning to Black Mesa considering it's a nuclear crater (it gets blown up at the end of Opposing Force).

But don't they say since OF was made by Gearbox it doesn't change the Valve Half-Life storyline?

But don't they say since OF was made by Gearbox it doesn't change the Valve Half-Life storyline?

Valve told gearbox that the only thing in the story they really had to do was have the facility blow up from a bomb. That is the only thing in OP4 or BS that holds any merit to the real story.

Van_Halen said:
Valve told gearbox that the only thing in the story they really had to do was have the facility blow up from a bomb. That is the only thing in OP4 or BS that holds any merit to the real story.
:( but this makes no sense, Op4 and Bs should be either considered completely a part of the half life story line, or completely not.

Could be that there is alternative dimensions/timelines or even time travel involved to get us there.

Either that or Black Mesa itself is a large range, rather than a small plot of land

Yeah, I was thinking time travel. Maybe that's where the next Half-Life will start, Black Mesa in the past where it all started...

I highly doubt time travel. Valve doesn't go for that kinda crap, it's more realistic.

I highly doubt time travel. Valve doesn't go for that kinda crap, it's more realistic.

Even more realistic than the interdimensional empire that is bent on enslaving humanity and plundering our resources?

the only way to travel fowards in time involves going faster than the speed of light which isn't possible for anything which has mass.
and as far as we know there's nothing to dispute the existence of aliens.

I actually have one in a jar here, wanna see?

EDIT: It's ok, my inter-dimensional portal is friendly, his name is pickle.

It's not impossible for Black Mesa to survive, as the blast wasn't underground, but merely in a car park. The explosion wouldn't destroy the entire facility. Yes, surface buildings would most likely be destroyed and massive amounts of deadly fallout would be created, but most of underground facilities should survive without much damage, albeit contaminated.

This brings up another point - wouldn't such a shallow location for a nuclear blast be actually a conscious choice, meant to isolate and seal Black Mesa, but not destroy it entirely?

What was the yield of that warhead, by the way?

As much as some people here abhor the idea, I'd love to revisit some old ruins of Black Mesa. Even if it's just one of those brief, wonky, teleport mishaps we've all grown accustomed to.

It's not impossible for Black Mesa to survive, as the blast wasn't underground, but merely in a car park. The explosion wouldn't destroy the entire facility. Yes, surface buildings would most likely be destroyed and massive amounts of deadly fallout would be created, but most of underground facilities should survive without much damage, albeit contaminated.

This brings up another point - wouldn't such a shallow location for a nuclear blast be actually a conscious choice, meant to isolate and seal Black Mesa, but not destroy it entirely?

What was the yield of that warhead, by the way?

It would be awesome visiting the remains of Black Mesa. You would maybe have to go back to recover something that would destroy the Combine, a weapon of sorts? Or maybe blueprints for a weapon. I don't know I'm just throwing stuff out there.

It might be good to have a sort of flashback to Black Mesa during a Gman speech. At the start of HL2 he shows you the very start of the Resonance Cascade and then in Ep2 you get another small shot of Black Mesa. Maybe something about the fate of the facility could be revealed in one of his speeches?

Borealis = Episode 3

Black Mesa = Never.

What if the Combine, in a last ditch attempt, tried to recreate the Resonance Cascade?

It might be good to have a sort of flashback to Black Mesa during a Gman speech. At the start of HL2 he shows you the very start of the Resonance Cascade and then in Ep2 you get another small shot of Black Mesa. Maybe something about the fate of the facility could be revealed in one of his speeches?

Perhaps you overlook the mushroom cloud from a plateau or nearby mesa, it would put an end to the BM is alive/dead debate

What if the Combine, in a last ditch attempt, tried to recreate the Resonance Cascade?
Actually that sounds like an interesting idea. Is the crystal still at BME or WF, because they may attempt a raid

I should have mentioned that Valve i s making Half-Life 3 according to them.
Any swede here? Go to your nearest videogamestore and grab a copy, they are free!

the only way to travel fowards in time involves going faster than the speed of light which isn't possible for anything which has mass.

We are always traveling forward in time numbnuts.

Any swede here? Go to your nearest videogamestore and grab a copy, they are free!

I'm still skeptical, I would have to see it in an interview from someone from valve. Not any speculation made by the magazine.

Spoilered for length:
I read in the latest gamereactor, (free videogame magazine in Sweden) that Borealis is/was a mirror-experiment to Black mesa, and that we may go back to Black mesa in Half-Life 3.
tried to recreate the Resonance Cascade?
Borealis is/was a mirror-experiment to Black mesa
Resonance Cascade
"Not another Black Mesa"
E-Gads!

But in Ep2. the part were G-man is talking to you whilst the vorts are distracted, isn't he sitting at the desk that you first meet barney at in HL? There's screens to the left and everything, just like in the original location. Or maybe it's not a real location and mearly an image the G-man conjours up to screw with Gordon.

Maybe it's not a real location and mearly an image the G-man conjours up to screw with Gordon.
Yep. Listen to the commentary in that area and it says he's showing Gordon images of his (Gordon's) past, present and future. Notably past in this case (the future is the Mossman corridor).

It's possible that the warhead we saw the G-Man arming was just one of many...
As much as some people here abhor the idea, I'd love to revisit some old ruins of Black Mesa. Even if it's just one of those brief, wonky, teleport mishaps we've all grown accustomed to.
If it was just that for a brief second and we were back in the test chamber, that'd be quite fun but I don't think we need another gambol about in BMRF's many corridors.

You're, like, livin' in the paaaaast, dude... You gotta contemporise, man.

While Valve is no doubt going to continue the Half-life series i would like to point out that your mag should not be considered official. Lots of mags claim to have inside info but in the end most of them are talking crap. And to back this up valve is in NO state to start work on HL3 yet , they still have episode three , left4dead and possibly portal two to work on , the most they could be doing with HL3 is throwing out ideas at lunch breaks about it or something.

If the first Resonance Cascade punched a tiny hole that destabilized the dimensional barrier between
our universe and Xen then a second one would either destabilize the rift between here and Xen enough to
collapse it, permanently cutting off Combine contact with their home universe or create a hole large enough for the Combine to send in reinforcements for their stranded forces.

While Valve is no doubt going to continue the Half-life series i would like to point out that your mag should not be considered official. Lots of mags claim to have inside info but in the end most of them are talking crap. And to back this up valve is in NO state to start work on HL3 yet , they still have episode three , left4dead and possibly portal two to work on , the most they could be doing with HL3 is throwing out ideas at lunch breaks about it or something.

I totally agree. Valve doesn't even know what's going to happen; and they are for sure not developing HL3.
I even think that they are not focusing that much in episode 3.

Combine trying to get to the Borealis to create another RC... That sound pretty plausible.
This will be my theory till i find a better one.

This is not true. To travel forward in time is perfectly possible all you have to do is travel faster than the thing you want to time travel away from. In fact it happens to communication satellites, we have to continuously adjust their clocks as they travel very slightly faster into the future than there reference point earth. To travel backward in time you have to travel faster than the speed of light. Or use a worm hole i.e. a PORTAL.

Anyway back to half life. So maybe at the end of episode 3 there is a massive portal we travel through and end up back at Black mesa (in the past) for half life 3.

This is not true. To travel forward in time is perfectly possible all you have to do is travel faster than the thing you want to time travel away from. In fact it happens to communication satellites, we have to continuously adjust their clocks as they travel very slightly faster into the future than there reference point earth. To travel backward in time you have to travel faster than the speed of light. Or use a worm hole i.e. a PORTAL.

Anyway back to half life. So maybe at the end of episode 3 there is a massive portal we travel through and end up back at Black mesa (in the past) for half life 3.

Wtf are you talking about faster than light travel has nothing to do with going backwards in time, FTL speeds would yield completely opposite results, that is no time passes at all/going "into the future".

Back