Ingenious Idea Exchange 2010

VirusType2

Reaction score
I thought it would be helpful to share some ingenious methods with each other - clever and inexpensive ways to solve common problems.

For example, one of the oldest and well known little tricks is using a clothespin to close up a bag of snack foods: http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/9279/storesnacksinbasketfb.jpg

I've got a great one that I came up with - instead of cooking a large frozen pizza - where I usually can't finish it, and it just doesn't taste good when you re-heat it -

while the oven is pre-heating, you can cut a frozen pizza in half with the pizza wheel, and just cook half. Simply use the pizza wheel to cut through the top layer of cheese, then you can bend it at the middle and it will snap in half like a cookie. Put half in the oven and put the other half back in the box and back in the freezer.

Another one is that I found my keyboard to be a bit loud when I type, and the keyboard would sometimes slide around, so cut a thin rubber liner to put underneath. Now when I type, it's much quieter, and it won't slide. I used one marketed as non-slip cargo liner, but it seems like it's the same material they sell to line kitchen drawers: http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/3407/drawerliner1.jpg

EDIT: I also cut a piece and put it underneath my computer and under my monitor. This rubber liner will absorb vibration from a powerful stereo system and regular bumps on your desk. I did it because the image on my monitor would actually shake with the bass from my speakers. Underneath you computer, it will protect your hard drives. I've always had this liner, and I've never had a HDD fail. Additionally, if you spill a drink at your desk, the liner will keep the liquid from coming into contact with your equipment.

If you've got some ingenious ideas, share them.

So... we're meant to share common sense or something?

When you leave your car running to heat up on a cold morning, flip both the sun visors down.

If your cat is about to throw up on the carpet, just lay a little towel underneath his face. Do not under any circumstances attempt to pick up the cat and direct his vomit into a sink.

During the summer, pollen is really bad here. I have an allergy to pollen, and last summer I had an idea. I was using a box fan to keep cool and decided it would be better if the fan had a filter; so I came up with a simple and inexpensive solution.

You can buy an expensive room filter that is weak and doesn't keep you cool, or you can build some junk that does better.

I bought a 20x20x1 allergen filter and put it on the back of my fan. It's ghetto fabulous.The filter used to be bleach white, so you can see it does an incredible job (this is about 3 months use):

Dust!
Front View
Back View
Top view

You will need:

-A box fan (needs to match filter size)

-A screwdriver

-An allergen/dust filter (found in hardware stores - I got mine at wal-mart) (It needs to match the fan size). I used a Dupont Purafilter 2000 20x20x1 (inches)
http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/3423/allergenfilter.jpg

-High density foam tape weatherstrip for extra large gaps (door & window) Need about 8 feet.
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/4100/foamtape.jpg
http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/4176/foamweatherstrip.jpg

-tape (I used electrical tape, but you could use transparent tape)

I got the air filter for about $7.50, and the weatherstrip for about $3.50. I already had the fan (it's a Galaxy brand, I bought at Wal-Mart for about $10)

Instructions, if you can't figure it out from the images:

Take the back grill off of the box fan

There tends to be a few small holes drilled into the box of the fan. Use the electrical tape to seal any small holes in the box of the fan (so all air must go through the filter).

clean the edge where the grill rests against (I used alcohol) so the weatherstrip will stick well.

Run the weatherstrip along the edge. Using one piece is best. To seal the small gap where the two ends meet, use some electrical tape.

Line the grill up perfectly - it may be necessary to force the screws through the cardboard of the filter to reassemble. DO NOT OVER-TIGHTEN AND STRIP THE HOLES IN THE FAN. The re-attached rear grill will hold the filter in place. The weatherstrip is thick, and even where it isn't compressed, it will be thick enough to form a seal.

When you are trying to cut somebody's throat, don't just slash across the jugular, try to sever the wind pipe so that they can't make any noise. It is a really rubbery piece of tissue, so the best approach is usually to grab their hair from behind to yank their chin up, and then dig in a bit at an angle rather than coming straight across. Make sure to keep pulling the head back so that the arteries can't close themselves.

Oh, and when you are shopping, the good apples are usually at the back. They always push the old apples to the front to try to sell them.

You been hanging out with Christopher Lee or something?

If your cat is about to throw up on the carpet, just lay a little towel underneath his face. Do not under any circumstances attempt to pick up the cat and direct his vomit into a sink.
Unless you've tried to do that second thing once too often, in which case he'll just run the **** away from you and your towel. :(

Eat chips / small snack products with chopsticks. Doesn't get your fingers horribly greasy and yucky. Only bad part is you can't really wolf the stuff down quickly.

In my house, when the cat starts throwing up, everyone jumps up and starts shouting at it and running around, and general chaos breaks loose. Usually someone has the presence of mind to grab the cat and fling it out the nearest door/window. Not always though.

Is there any other way...?

Well, there's twist ties, paperclips, or my favorite -- binder clips. No risk of tearing a hole through the bag like with paperclips, but with more bag-closing power than clothespins. Clearly the ideal choice.

Paperclips? Twist ties? How does that work?

I don't know what weak clothespins you're using but it's plenty of power. I'm talking about the ones with the springs.

I've seen people use this for Chips and Cookies and what not. Its a product meant for food bags.
Twixit-Mega-Clips_slideshow_image.jpg

But i personally use rubberbands. Which actually takes a damn long time to remove.

I do not understand how you guys are using rubber bands and twist ties.

Are you saying you close them by like, just squeezing the top together and putting the tie around it? That's a horrible way to close a bag of chips. It makes it all crumpled and shit and doesn't give a very good seal. The best way is to just roll it up and put a damn clothes pin or chip clip on it. God damn.

348myj4.jpg

You can do away with the clips entirely if you do what I do:

1) Push as much air out of the bag as you can without damaging the contents.
2) Spin-wrap the end closed, as per what is underneath Vegeta's giant red X. DO NOT TIE IT CLOSED.
3) Take the protruding excess bag material and fold it across and under itself once, so that the contents are sitting on the excess bag-end.
4) Place in cupboard.

It has the ease of a classic-but-incorrect spin seal, with the airtightness of the now-known-to-be-superior folded seal, and none of the unnecessary plastic instruments.

You can do away with the clips entirely if you do what I do:

1) Push as much air out of the bag as you can without damaging the contents.
2) Spin-wrap the end closed, as per what is underneath Vegeta's giant red X. DO NOT TIE IT CLOSED.
3) Take the protruding excess bag material and fold it across and under itself once, so that the contents are sitting on the excess bag-end.
4) Place in cupboard.

It has the ease of a classic-but-incorrect spin seal, with the airtightness of the now-known-to-be-superior folded seal, and none of the unnecessary plastic instruments.
I do this for bread, but I would never subject my delicate snacks to such an ordeal.

When placing certain cutting tools within unlikeable persons, it is important you do not use the edge, but rather the point. Upon entry, move the tool in an upward motion to maximize discomfort and chances of incapacitation. Do not move down, as that will be harder, and the tool will be further away from the organs that sustain the motion of the subject.

Also, I find that when cleaning, boiling used rags instead of putting them in the washing machine seems to make them clean/smell better for a longer time.

I do not understand how you guys are using rubber bands and twist ties.

Are you saying you close them by like, just squeezing the top together and putting the tie around it? That's a horrible way to close a bag of chips. It makes it all crumpled and shit and doesn't give a very good seal. The best way is to just roll it up and put a damn clothes pin or chip clip on it. God damn.

348myj4.jpg

Vegeta.jpg

Explains.

What kind of abominable bag of chips come in such sizes that you can't actually eat it all?

And you wonder why Americans get fat. :p

I can't tell if those are meant to be rubber bands going around the bag, or if it's like those bags you sometimes get where they have a piece of tape going down it (I'm not a fan of either of those).

Anyhow, I think if you eat more than just a tiny amount of chips, you should have enough bag space to twist tie or rubber band the top. Usually the chips come packaged with so much air space that this is almost always doable. I still tend to clip large bags since it's faster than tying/rubber-banding, but for some reason I always rubber band small bags of things like chocolate chips or walnuts.

Well why don't you make a goddamn flash animation out of it, Veggies. :p

I use cellotape like a man, because I like having to break something every time I feel the need to snack.

Well why don't you make a goddamn flash animation out of it, Veggies. :p

I use cellotape like a man, because I like having to break something every time I feel the need to snack.
Like I need to break a hymen every time I... oh, wrong forum.

I get scissors and cut the bag down when it gets low. Then I put a clothespin in it if theres any left. also cereal tastes better than chips and is healthier for you.

When your bitch wants you to use a condom, but you just want to let it all out, cut a hole at the tip of the condom. You should leave without waking her in the morning and never call her again.

This is captain obvious but when you sneeze, sneeze into your shirt right into the corner near your armpit. your less likely to get people sick and your hand doesn't feel sticky. Another one i like is a glass or plastic cup and a Brita filter. I hate seeing people waste dollars on bottled water when all you need is a reusable cup. Its cheaper and safer and better for the environment.

Speaking of Brita Filters, if you have a big ass party to attend or host, and need a lot of people drunk, you can use a Brita filter to make that el cheapo vodka tasting like Grey Goose in a short time. Just filter the vodka through 3-4 times and you'll taste the difference. I did it for a concert and we finished the 2 liter off in no time.

Quick Cash: buying a game brand new when on sale, and reselling it to another store at full price. I used to do this a lot and make about $150 a day. They do card your ID so do it sparingly and use cash when buying. I bought this shitty game RTX Red Rock or something for the Xbox at Walmart on clearance for $10 and Target or Toys R US were selling it for $50 and cha-ching! quick $40!

Magazines: if you still read them.....once a year go on Amazon.com right before, during and after the holidays and check out the $5 promotions. You'll find some good ones on sale and its much less than retail value

Video Games: Ico is selling for a lot right now. want to make some money in the future?? Start hording now! the game is only going to go up in price, same with FFVII and Super Mario RPG, etc

Quick Cash: buying a game brand new when on sale, and reselling it to another store at full price. I used to do this a lot and make about $150 a day. They do card your ID so do it sparingly and use cash when buying. I bought this shitty game RTX Red Rock or something for the Xbox at Walmart on clearance for $10 and Target or Toys R US were selling it for $50 and cha-ching! quick $40!

I'm surprised stores buy stuff like this from you. Why would they when they've got their suppliers and buy from them in large quantities for a lower price?

That's why they require a receipt, but generally, to keep valid customers happy (who genuinely lost the receipt or received the item as a gift), major chain stores let you return something without a receipt a few times per year - it's tied to your ID.

Back