Intel buys McAfee

Escaep

Tank
Reaction score
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11025866

The world's biggest chip maker, Intel, has agreed to buy the security technology firm, McAfee.

Intel will pay $7.68bn (£5bn) in cash.

Under the terms of the deal, Intel said it would pay $48 per share in cash for McAfee, almost 60% higher than its closing price on Wednesday.

Through buying McAfee, a leading security technology firm, Intel intends to build security features into its microprocessors which go into products such as laptops and phones.

Curious about the last statement. Seems like its saying they'll be putting security into their processors?

Why would they ruin a perfectly good chip by loading anything Mcafee on it?

Kinda weird how anyone would buy a security company in an age where viruses and the like are on the rapid decline.

Kinda weird how anyone would buy a security company in an age where viruses and the like are on the rapid decline.

huh? I don't have any stats in my head but I kind of assume they are on the rise as virus developers are getting more sophisticated each day.

I can't see this doing anything but good. McAfee has some major performance issues (not NEARLY as bad as Norton of course). Who better to help solve them but Intel. Maybe making security hardware-based is a good thing.

Back