Ipod Itouch. Connects to wifi, no internet.

NeptuneUK

Space Core
Reaction score
Fed up with all the apple bullshit 'it just works' hype. Apparently the best way to make it work is to ****ing PAY £6 for a software update that should be mandatory. What a load of bullshit, apple, stop pretending to not be as evil as M$.
I DON't HAVE £6 to pay for software that will MAKE THE PRODUCT DO ITS INTENDED USE.
I would pirate it if I knew how but I have purposely had very little experience with apple software because each time I do, it somehow pisses me off by not working etc.

Ipod Touch
Version 2.2.1

Connects to wifi, but internet does not work. Safari says it's not connected to the internet and no other internet app will connect.
What the bitch do I do?

The router is not broken, and signal strength is not an issue. Do I have to configure some shit on my router? or Ipod?

Works perfectly on mine right from the getgo. I have a feeling it's your router. Not sure what to tell you, though.

Apple is as evil as Microsoft, if not Eviler. Not only do they lock people into their products, but they tell people how they can use them.

I found an iPod Touch on the bus the other day LOL

I still haven't gotten it's internet to work, I just thought the thing was busted.

I found an iPod Touch on the bus the other day LOL

I still haven't gotten it's internet to work, I just thought the thing was busted.

This one was a gift from an old friend.
I would like to think I can manually configure the router with a static IP or some shit for the lil thing, my router is awful anyway so I'll have to try on another network before I can come to more conclusions. I can't actually access the routers IP to fart around with the settings, I forgot the login and password so I reset the router.... but I can't get on it. It MUST be the router right?
I get full wifi signal to my network and it won't connect if the password is incorrect, which means it may actually be connected to the router just not the interwebz.

Does anyone have any ideas to try in the meantime? I have already reset the Ipod etc. The only real option at the moment is to gamble the £6 software update to v3. Is it still hackable after that?

Most likely you're doing something wrong.

Settings, Wi-Fi, 'On', then click the arrow to your wireless router. Make sure it's on DHCP, the http proxy is off, and you've got some DNS addresses.

If you have a friend with an itouch that bought the 3.0 update YOU can get it for free. Backup your itouch, connect it with their computer, it'll want to erase your itouch and associate it with your friend's itunes (that's fine, you have a backup on your machine). Then they can install the 3.0 update on your itouch, return to your house, and it'll want to clear it again to re-associate the itouch with your itunes, when it clears it the 3.0 update will stay.

huh? you dont have to pay for ipod updates. just plug it into your pc fire up itunes, click on your ipod on the list then click on "update"

You have to pay for some updates to an itouch. Going fro version 2 to version 2.21 is free, but you have to pay to go from version 1.2 to version 2. And to get version 3 you have to pay. It's just like they're operating systems, if you buy 10.5 you get 7 free updates which gives you 10.5.7 but when 10.6 comes out you'll have to pay for it.

Regarding your inability to access your router... most routers disable admin access over wifi by default. If you're trying to access it from your laptop or something, try using a cat5 cable plugged into it instead.

Back