Iraqi elections? Who's running?

polypod

Reaction score
I have wanted to ask this question on NPR or something, but maybe I can get some feedback here.
If Iraqis are having elections in January, who's running? In our country, a big campaign is waged by the parties for months before the vote, but I haven't heard a single shread of information regarding who's running. Isn't that a big deal? I imagine many Iraqis would like an alternative to Allawi, but who are the contenders? Do the Iraqis know? I would think they must but why don't we ever hear about this? :|

Interesting how such things are kept low profile...
Nobody seems to know! Bit scary if you ask me.

Pretty shady. No idea. As long as they (Iraqi's) get their country back and
1.) The leader isnt a dictator
2.) Iraq doesnt become spawning grounds for terrorists
3.) They arent stirring up shit w/ Israel.

I'll be happy.

The poll found the most popular politician is Abdel Aziz Hakim, leader of the Supreme Council for the Islamic Revolution in Iraq (SCIRI). The group was part of the U.S.-backed opposition to Saddam Hussein and is now receiving millions of dollars in aid from Iran, U.S. officials say.

Hakim had 80 percent name recognition among Iraqis, with more than 51 percent wanting to see him in the national assembly, which will pick a new government.

Allawi had the greatest name recognition of any politician, with 47 percent of Iraqis supporting him for a seat in the new parliament. But rebel Shiite cleric Moqtada Sadr came in a very close third, with 46 percent backing him for an assembly seat.

Ahmed Chalabi, once favored in Washington as a possible successor to Hussein, had wide national recognition, but only 15 percent want him in parliament -- and more than half oppose him.

The one factor that skews the poll, analysts said, is that Ibrahim Jafari, the Dawa Party chief and current vice president, was not included. He had the highest popularity rating in previous polls.

That may still be the case, since almost 18 percent of Iraqis surveyed by IRI said they were most likely to vote for Dawa candidates -- the largest backing among the top 11 parties listed. Dawa is another former U.S.-backed group supported by aid from Iran, U.S. officials say.

U.S. officials and Iraqi analysts believe candidates aligned with the Supreme Council and with Dawa are likely to capture the highest percentage of votes, giving religious parties an edge in forming a new government.

Iraqi President Ghazi Yawar, a Sunni leader of the country's largest tribe, was also omitted from the poll.

President Bush said Tuesday that he would be "disappointed" if free and fair elections in Iraq led to the seating of an Islamic government, but that the United States would accept the results. "Democracy is democracy," he said. "If that's what people choose, that's what the people choose."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A52674-2004Oct21?language=printer

seinfeldrules said:
President Bush said Tuesday that he would be "disappointed" if free and fair elections in Iraq led to the seating of an Islamic government, but that the United States would accept the results. "Democracy is democracy," he said. "If that's what people choose, that's what the people choose."

i'd love to see an anti american goverment elected...rofl! and if americans would just peacfuly leave without any objections or secret contracts, man i'd marry bush! but that will never happen! :cheese:

i think our idea of seperation of church and state is hard for the islamic world to emulate because it's such a part of who they are.. it seems unlikely their laws would not be touched by their religion..

this would have been hard enough if we had done everything right, but the images of the Abu Garaib and mosque incident have likely fueled anger in a great many people in the region, not to mention all around the world.
and adding to the mix of angry militants is the new form of assymetric warfare being learned and used against both civilians and troops..

jverne said:
i'd love to see an anti american goverment elected...rofl! and if americans would just peacfuly leave without any objections or secret contracts, man i'd marry bush! but that will never happen! :cheese:
You're right... that won't ever happen. After all, Bush is pushing that constitutional ban on gay marriage...

Who knows but they'll probably just vote in an extremist anti-Westerner who silences the opposition through lethal force and censorship. Maybe they'll vote in a leader intent on turning the country into a theocracy?

And thus we come back to square one! Iraq is in such a period of it's history that only a ruthless leader can hope to maintain civility and squash radical islamic fundamentalists...through force.

Probably would have been easier just keeping Saddam in power.

The foresight of the Bush administration is almost non-existant. They're only choice will be to rig the election and keep Iyad Allawi in power.

porbably allawi will win, just like karazai won.
aka fake election.

And I'm very skeptical of old Allawi, he duzn't look much better than Saddam. And America seem intent on backing him. Despite the majority (I'll have to clarify that) of Iraqi's not liking and trusting him, watch him win.

Worries me.

I'd hope that Bush was telling the truth when he said he'd let them vote in whoeverthey wanted. Then at least if it f*cks up I won't blame it on Bush.

Mr-Fusion said:
Who knows but they'll probably just vote in an extremist anti-Westerner who silences the opposition through lethal force and censorship. Maybe they'll vote in a leader intent on turning the country into a theocracy?

And thus we come back to square one! Iraq is in such a period of it's history that only a ruthless leader can hope to maintain civility and squash radical islamic fundamentalists...through force.

Probably would have been easier just keeping Saddam in power.

The foresight of the Bush administration is almost non-existant. They're only choice will be to rig the election and keep Iyad Allawi in power.

It's hard to tell what you mean here. Do you mean, you think Iraqis want violent, theocratic leaders? or do you mean you think, they think, they need a violent, theocratic leader to squash the opposition in the country (which would, incidently, die down when the coalition leaves).

I don't see how Allawi is the only choice.

burner69 said:
It's hard to tell what you mean here. Do you mean, you think Iraqis want violent, theocratic leaders? or do you mean you think, they think, they need a violent, theocratic leader to squash the opposition in the country (which would, incidently, die down when the coalition leaves).

I don't see how Allawi is the only choice.
Yes I was sort of saying that. Just pure speculation really, but i've seen other prominent countries vote in warmongering leaders, so it's not out of the question.

I think Saddam probably understood his own people better than outsiders (the world!). He understood the deep divisions between the different tribes and the only way to keep them in order was to rule with an iron fist. By ousting Saddam the U.S has unleashed the radical extremists that Saddam had under control.

I won't be at all surprised if Iraqis vote in a leader who eventually turns the country into an Iran-style theocracy. But is that a bad thing? It's their culture and if they choose to live like that so be it.

^^ A very good point IMO.

I'd be surprised, though, if the Iraqis voted in some 'evil' guy. Maybe someone with heavy handed punishments for breaking their religious code etc. Stoning if you have sex before marriage kind of thing; if that's what they want to control their country, let them have it - It's up to them, I say.

What i don't want to see is another guy being puppeteered by bush; and using strict punishments to simple instill fear into the people, while Bush takes the resources he wants without opposition.

As for a democracy, I'm unsure if that is ready to work. Poorer countries need strong religious ground to keep them functioning, often that's the only thing preventing an uprising - belief that if they do they'll go to hell, or whereever. Especially after a war, going slack on religion and letting the state decide what's right and what isn't will be a very stupid idea.

Best of luck to Iraq.
Bush, keep you meddling hands out of it.

Back