Iron Grip Update

Reaction score
The Iron Grip Team recently released a nifty looking drawing by Godwin, one of their concept artists. Also included is a small test video from the alpha testing, as a small taste of things to come. Click here to watch it in action.[br]

[br]Iron Grip is a mod that hopes to combine elements of real time strategy and first person shooters. Visit their website for more media and info.

The drawing reminds me of Fallout 2's installer drawing - which is a good thing.

BUT is it just me or does it seem like that almost half of the mods try incorporate RTS into multiplay? I mean, it's bound to happen that something like that gets copied especially after Natural Selection but...uh, "like CS/NS/GarrysMod/[some other game] but better" has never been a good way to sell your mod to the big audience.

Para said:
The drawing reminds me of Fallout 2's installer drawing - which is a good thing.

BUT is it just me or does it seem like that almost half of the mods try incorporate RTS into multiplay? I mean, it's bound to happen that something like that gets copied especially after Natural Selection but...uh, "like CS/NS/GarrysMod/[some other game] but better" has never been a good way to sell your mod to the big audience.

It doesn't look to me as if they are just incorporating RTS, this is an RTS.
Good to see the fundamentals are laid. I wonder if they can utilise in the AI from HL2, because playing garrysmod, i never realised they were that good a finding cover and sneaking up on you.

So like you click them to a position then they search out cover, within the local area. That would be cool, and pretty original as far as RTS's are concerned.

I don't like the drawing. The buildings appear to be heavily edited photographs, and I would pay any amount of money if you could find me people who actually looked like the people in that drawing. It's like their bodies are made of down feathers or something. Horrendous proportions.

The lighting, however, is nice.

Glo-Boy said:
I don't like the drawing. The buildings appear to be heavily edited photographs, and I would pay any amount of money if you could find me people who actually looked like the people in that drawing. It's like their bodies are made of down feathers or something. Horrendous proportions.

bingo, I agree.

The mod does look pretty interesting though...

It wouldn't be copying Natural Selection...

About 5 years ago there was this cool game where it was basically an RTS/ Third Person Spacecraft/ Fist Person Shooter...

It was really cool because you could play the game and win from any perspective or from all three at once.... Best game idea even... but the controls were damn confussing...(Or maybe that was just me)

They even made I sequel...!!! But i can't remember what it was called... hm....

I'll get back to you on that.... So really Natural Selection could be claimed to be a copy of that...although probably not....

MjM said:
So like you click them to a position then they search out cover, within the local area. That would be cool, and pretty original as far as RTS's are concerned.
That would be awesome! I would love to see an RTS where the units actually behaved intelligently.

Glo-Boy said:

Okay, that is the most *dumbass* thing I have ever read!!! It is *concept* art, designed to give an idea of what the desinger is thinking. Nothing says he has to create a 100% natural, life like and original drawing. Geez, give him a break. For me, it shows what he has in mind for the scene, that is all. A lot of other people only use wireframe concepts, so kudos to the designer.

Concept art is created so that we get an accurate sense of what the game should be like. I don't expect my players to look like retards with some sort of bone disease. You need to shut your mouth because you really don't know what you're talking about.

Nice but that guy running in the center looks kinda off place and out of proportion.

Back