Is my connection good enough?

Hurricane

Spy
Reaction score
I keep hearing about steam and all the deals they have on games on it. I would really like to download it, but im not sure if my connection can handle it. The website says that a broadband connection is recommended, but I dont quite have that.

I use a VZ USB720 broadband adapter. It works fine for the internet and xbox live, but I don't want to try anything before I know it will work (when the connection isn't strong enough to download something, it reboots the computer and sets everything to default. damn vista!).

Depends on which games you want to download from it. If you are unsure about how good it is, don't buy stuff like Empire: Total War on Steam.

Install Steam and make an account. Download the Half-life 2 demo or Half-life 2 Deathmatch for free and monitor the speeds in your 'my games' list. It will show you the speed and % completed. Steam will also tell you the size of the files you are downloading so you can get an idea how well your connection is coping.

Also, beware if your ISP has put a download cap on your package. Games are pretty big and although Steam delivers them very fast, some ISPs will charge you massive excesses if you go over your limit.

I use a VZ USB720 broadband adapter. It works fine for the internet and xbox live, but I don't want to try anything before I know it will work (when the connection isn't strong enough to download something, it reboots the computer and sets everything to default. damn vista!).
What The Hell?

yeah. i dont know why either. I think it has something to do with vista's security features

In a case like this, it's best to do a speedtest, and monitor the ping.

Anything over 140 isn't a good ping. :)

Also, is it a ADSL or ADSL 2 connection?

Back