Is nothing something?

ShinRa

Companion Cube
Reaction score
If nothing is something, but something isn't nothing, how is nothing something?

Discuss.

No, nothing isn't something! What are you, some kinda retard?! :p

Seriously though, no. Look at it like this: if I have nothing on the table, is something on the table? No.

But you do have something on the table. Nothing!

But you do have something on the table. Nothing!

See? But if nothing is the absence of something, wait, that would still be something.....The absence of something, is something? The plot thickens....

Nothing is a concept. It is not actually on the table.

"something" could also be a concept... "something" is too vague, it can be anything... and if something = anything, then who knows where else this could lead to...

I will retract my previous statement about nothing being nothing. Nothing is the absense of something; therefore, it in itself is a thing beyond a concept, but it is not a thing in any material sense.

I had a chat with my good buddy Gmork, and he told me all about it. He spent a summer working for The Nothing.

gmorkvp4.jpg

It depends on the context of 'something', whether it's material or just conceptual. In a larger sense, everything is something, therefore nothing is still a thing. So yeah... maybe. I guess.

Who put this fork in my brain?

The answer is cake... and we all know the cake is a lie, so that in turn means the table is a lie... and I can further expand it to say your existence is a lie.

Nothing is something, but only in the sense that it is a word with a definition. The application of the conceptual term "nothing" to describe existence implies a lack or absence of 'something' and thus nothing is not essentially something when actually applied to true situations.

True. I suppose it's like asking if a hole consists of dirt. It's what's around the hole that makes the hole a hole, and it's the lack of actual things that makes nothing something.

[edit] Actually I don't know, it's 4am so that might not make sense or say what I wanted it to say.

It's 4 AM here too, so your post automatically makes sense to me because my brain is half asleep.

0 isnt something. 0 is just a concept. But a concept is something.

Discuss...

I will retract my previous statement about nothing being nothing. Nothing is the absense of something; therefore, it in itself is a thing beyond a concept, but it is not a thing in any material sense.

I had a chat with my good buddy Gmork, and he told me all about it. He spent a summer working for The Nothing.

gmorkvp4.jpg

oh and that film brings back sweaty palmed memories with my first girlfriend as an 11 year old...

Nothing but everything is nothing something or something, sometimes.

gmorkvp4.jpg

lmao :D

Pfft, everybody knows nothing is what nothing is is what nothing is is what nothing is what nothing is what nothing is what nothing is what nothing is what nothing is what nothing is......

I have it. It has to be something!

If it wasn't something, could I even possibly have it?

I have it. It has to be something!

If it wasn't something, could I even possibly have it?

But if it wasn't something, that means it was nothing. But nothing is something, right?

But if it wasn't something, that means it was nothing. But nothing is something, right?

But it is something... I possess it. If somebody asks me, "Hey man, what do you have?", I simply respond, "I have nothing". That's possessive man!

I possess nothing!

Yes you do. You do possess the absence of something. Enjoy it. =]

I wonder how much I'd get for it at a pawnshop.

Something, is a quantity. Nothing is a quanity. If nothing is not something, then the number zero does not exist.

Nothing, is a quantity. Something is a quantity. If something is not nothing, then numbers do not exist.

I got a single fry in my basket of buffalo wings.

Wtf.

Back