Is that supposed to be there?

BWMASTER

Reaction score
If you look carefully just after they physics demonstration in the big movie from gamespy it shows some sort of a cave. Then gordon looks up and you can see a human character sitting there on the pipes, he looks very very bad.

Why would valve put in something like that in the E3 demo. Havent they looked it over or something?

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!! It looks like a Sci standing on the pipes. Crazy! Nice Observation!!!

Edit: How the hell did I not see that before, lol.

Here he is.

Attachments

• techdemosci.jpg
    techdemosci.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 410
Yeah .. I think it's actually one of the freedom fighters.

So? It's just a tech demo, it's not suppose to make sense. LOL

noticed it the first time i watched it, not really sure why its there but at that distance i dont think it looked too bad.

I dunno Deranger, sure sounds like a conspiracy to me. Maybe he's the G-Man in disguise. Still watching, undressing you with his eyes (I had to)

It's because you people downloaded that god-awful avi file from somewhere. The gamespy video looks much better. No need to dl it now though, cause with any luck we'll have the hi-quality videos by tomorrow .. err today actually. :)

What looks bad about it? Did you just mean that it was out of place?

I didn't see that guy for quite awhile either. I wish he'd do something other than just stand there: maybe dance a jig. :)

his face is totally black so you cant tell who it is. Id liek to say that its a Ressistance Fighter, but why bother putting him there? Gordon looks up there for a reason, surely? Might be Father Gregory.

Attachments

• him2.jpg
    him2.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 341
Maybe Gordon looks up there to show off the bump mapping.

It totally doesnt fit there because it looks awful. It takes away from the beaty of the whole scene.

He's like one of those punch dummy things like a scarecrow or something...lol

Originally posted by Gojin
Maybe Gordon looks up there to show off the bump mapping.

Well, yes, obviosuly. But why put someone there who you cant quite tell is?

To add to the mystery and awe.

Maybe just for fun

Maybe because they wanted to.

Too many reasons, it doesn't mean anything.

They shoulda shot the wooden boards from under him.:)

I'm pretty sure they put him up there so that they could shoot him and test out the ragdol physics that way. Notice if he falls he's gona hit that lower portion of the wall.

But who cares .. this is just a silly map somebody made to test out the engine.

Originally posted by LoneDeranger
But who cares ..

Im sure we could find someone from somewhere;

Ok, hands up - who cares about the bloke on the plank in the white shirt?

Originally posted by BWMASTER
then why didn't they shoot him?

I dunno, there are many things they didn't do in the tech demo. Notice there is another room into which you can go, but they never went there (behind the stained glass)

Also notice they have an elevator. So you could probably go up there and interact with the guy.

it's a rag doll physics dummy, nothing more.
leave him alone he is just doing his job

My perception of depth just got completely changed. I thought the wooden planks hes standing on were only about 10 foot high and that wall only about 4 foot away. How wrong was i. :p

also valve told us there were lots of "clues" in the tech demo... lets continue to look :)

Originally posted by Iced_Eagle
also valve told us there were lots of "clues" in the tech demo... lets continue to look :)
it's not a clue.. it's just a freaking model in a level.

No man, the dummy holds secrets within its brain. We must split his head open, steal his brain, and look for clues. This can be done using the physics engine to deform his brain, and get the clues.

Originally posted by guinny
No man, the dummy holds secrets within its brain. We must split his head open, steal his brain, and look for clues. This can be done using the physics engine to deform his brain, and get the clues.
i'm going to eat his brain.. than you will have to use the physics engine to deform my stomach. :bounce:

I'll cut it open with my.........omg.....knife. Knives! Does anyone know if they're being implemented? Throwing knives wouldn't work, because they would fling through the air like real knives, and since we aren't gitsu experts, we can't throw the knife and hit the enemy all the time. Not to mention, will the knife stick in the body?

Originally posted by guinny
They shoulda shot the wooden boards from under him.:)

You're exactly right, that's what they did. Just not in the demo for e3. I read on another review site of some sort that got to actually see the physics demo played out, not a video. They didn't do some stuff in the e3 demonstration that they did for private showings. What they did with that guy was shoot the boards out from under him so you could see how bodies react to bumps and textures with ragdoll physics and free fall. Why they didn't show that is beyond me, maybe just times restraints. But, I know for a fact, that's why that "dummy" is up there.

I knew it. Hopefully tomorrow in the E3 footage.....:) I can only dream.

Whats more intriguing is Dux's background... Veeeeeery intriguing.

Theres throwing knives in a lot of HL mods.. it just depends if they feel it will fit in with the game :T

you know what they are releasing tomorrow might not be EXACTLY like the fileplanet ones.. seeing as how the directfeed didn't have to be done at e3 and wasn't..

Originally posted by worldspawn
you know what they are releasing tomorrow might not be EXACTLY like the fileplanet ones.. seeing as how the directfeed didn't have to be done at e3 and wasn't..

i think that's what most people are hoping, like they fixed up a few things and get a beefier system to run the game one, heh

some little things are probably different, or maybe its exactly the same, we'll need to wait to find out

knives... yeahh :devil:

i hope you can stab people and drag they're bodies around by the knife protruding out of their wind-pipe...

It bugs me, the knife is CS just goes 'whoosh' or 'squish' but doesn't even seem to hit anything...

-Phision

Originally posted by 82ross
My perception of depth just got completely changed. I thought the wooden planks hes standing on were only about 10 foot high and that wall only about 4 foot away. How wrong was i. :p

Yeah the first time i saw him i just guessed he was there so you could see the scale

Back