Isnt it just like...old times Mod (not just any other mod)

ShinRa

Companion Cube
Reaction score
Hey people, just wanted to inform you of a new singleplayer mod for HL2. And unlike most of the others, this one is well underway, and we have all of our ideas planned, thoughtout, and made sure they were possible by asking Gabe Newell himself. So here goes.

Story

As you might be able to tell by the name of our mod, this story takes place sometime a few years after HL1 ends. Shortly after the events, a terrible plague of aliens started to infest Earth. With little or no attempt of being able to retaliate, the human race has gone into hiding. Gordon, your player, recalls a time from his past. He recalls hearing something about how his experiment that went terribly wrong could have been reversed. He was told this info by Kliener, a day before the experiment went wrong (the beginning of HL). So being the only man able to stop the onslaught, Gordon Freeman returns to the famous Black Mesa Research Facility. However, it lies in complete ruins, the tram hanging on one cable, sparks flying, and crumbled pieces of the building all over.

Gameplay

We have done extensive research on HL, OP4, and Blueshift, and got a pretty accurate scale of the entire Black Mesa Facility. You'll return to make of the areas that you traveled through as Gordon, Adrian, and Barney. However, this time around, things are in wreck (even more than they were), its alot quiter, but believe me, that doesn't mean all the baddies are gone.

Overall

You'll enjoy it. Trust me, we made a test run on the HL engine with the map we've created (we already made the map, should take you 12-18 hours to beat). Sent it to some people, and their responses were "holy shit", and "omg i remember this! damnnnn what happened here..." Its definately a game that will keep you guessing, and once we get it onto HL2 with the physics and stuff, we will properly integrate puzzles and gameplay values.

Isn't it just like...Old times Mod Leader,
-AJ

THE map moron, as in the entire layout. the WHOLE map, you know, consisting of about 12-15 ACTUAL maps. its a single player go through, not a pick-a-stage multiplayer

Originally posted by guinny
THE map moron, as in the entire layout. the WHOLE map, you know, consisting of about 12-15 ACTUAL maps. its a single player go through, not a pick-a-stage multiplayer
whore your creation on a public forum and then insult your target audience? i don't even know how people are going to be able to play a mod for HL2 when it's not out yet.. but yes okay guinny, "oh shit i remember this what happened?"

sigh, what that means is, one of our map testers (TESTING ON THE HALF LIFE 1 ENGINE PLEASE READ) remembered one of the areas, however it was in much more wear and destruction than previously in the original game. and im sorry, but u came on and the 1st thing u say is lame, when you know vaguely anything about what its going to contain in it, that upsets me, and if u had the intelligence to create a mod urself, ud know the feeling of someone dissing ur work.

Now everybody just calm down. Come back tomorrow and prepare some creative criticism. Also, post it in the "General Editing" section. Guinny already has a thread there, which is somewhat lamentable for double posting, but post there. Not here. This is "General Discussion." I want to respond to a few comments here, but I won't I'll just address them in the editing forum.

sigh, what that means is, one of our map testers (TESTING ON THE HALF LIFE 1 ENGINE PLEASE READ) remembered one of the areas, however it was in much more wear and destruction than previously in the original game. and im sorry, but u came on and the 1st thing u say is lame, when you know vaguely anything about what its going to contain in it, that upsets me, and if u had the intelligence to create a mod urself, ud know the feeling of someone dissing ur work.
i have the "intelligence" to skin and some basic mapping knowledge.. i know how it feels to be criticized.. i usually enjoy it as long as it's well thought out and allows me to improve my work, while my criticism wasn't even about your mod, but in how you presented it, i have no idea how good or bad the mod is going to be without being able to see it first hand.

what you said in your first post in itself makes me think your mod isn't going to be enjoyable.. if you were willing to send me one of the previously mentioned maps or map packs i might be able to give you a better rating of how well i like it than what you have already heard.

info has to remain disclosed until we get onto the hl2 engine, thats all the info i could give u at the moment without speculation. (almost every other mod out there thus far is loaded with speculation). so yes atm it sounds boring, but if u want to judge it, play though all 3 games, and just imagine what it would look like a few years after being completely abandoned (not to mention nuked by the grunts)

info has to remain disclosed until we get onto the hl2 engine, thats all the info i could give u at the moment without speculation. (almost every other mod out there thus far is loaded with speculation). so yes atm it sounds boring, but if u want to judge it, play though all 3 games, and just imagine what it would look like a few years after being completely abandoned (not to mention nuked by the grunts)
nobody knows as of yet how long after the original half-life's events the events of half-life 2 occur.. it might be less than " a few years " probably not.. but if so, your whole premise for your mod has gone to shit. not to mention that as you stated, the facility has already been nuked and destroyed as shown at the end of op4.. i don't know what fun a crater would be to play.. but yeah.

we have all of our ideas planned, thoughtout, and made sure they were possible by asking Gabe Newell himself.

god dont u read? or do u just want ur postcount to be infinitly higher than everyone elses?

worldspawn <-- " i know how it feels to be criticized.. i usually enjoy it as long as it's well thought out and allows me to improve my work"

And you first reply to this thread was:
-------
a mod with one map?

lame.
-------

Do I haft to say more?

thanks morphys, we're going to work around the nuking thing though ;) btw, its confirmed from gabe u wont ever return to black mesa :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

IMO, you shoulda left this in the general editing forum where it was. But good luck anyways.

Sounds great...:)

And btw the black mesa facility was under the ground, and if a nuke blew it up, its very possible only a small part was destroyed..

Sounds lika a great mod guinny !
I always like the return-to-where-you-have-been-but-now-everything-is-destroyed themes :D I liked it in hl1, when you had to go back after the portal was "opened" when everything was damaged :)
again, gl with your mod :afro:

thanks for the support guys! i promise you, you wont be sad. and watch out for the site my perfectionist is almost done, expect it in the coming week! the url is www.jlot.net JLOT = Just like old times :) by the way, if anyone has any good new weapon or enemy ideas feel free to add ur 2 cents ;)

By "actual maps" do you mean levels such as "Questionable Ethics"? Or do you mean small sections of level like "c1a3", for example. It sounds like a really cool mod, I'd just hate for it suffer from the horrible thing called shortness.

Oh and a new weapon could be a thin steel piece of pipe (and with the new HL2 engine, it could have some realistic rust spots on it).

Good luck.

P.S. If you want I can join this mod team to help out. I don't have much experience though, but I'd love to help this already-cool mod grow.

another cool melee would be a secondary fire for the crowbar, where you would stab with the bottom end.

I think I read that idea somewhere else on the forums. Not trying to bite your idea, whoever you are, just bringing to this mods attenetion.

Originally posted by Remedy
another cool melee would be a secondary fire for the crowbar, where you would stab with the bottom end.

I think I read that idea somewhere else on the forums. Not trying to bite your idea, whoever you are, just bringing to this mods attenetion.

1. The other end of the crowbar is slimmed but is not sharp enough to stab someone or something.

2. Stabbing is wak. Make it an underhand swing so the mofackas fly up!

I like the idea of this mod, it sounds great i can't wait to get it along with Half-Life2 and an upgrade for my computer:cheers:

Originally posted by MF-BoltressHL2
I like the idea of this mod, it sounds great i can't wait to get it along with Half-Life2 and an upgrade for my computer:cheers:

negative

Originally posted by THUGENSTE1N
negative

| Whaaaa...?...? |

guinny, it sounds like it will be a really good mod. It also sounds like you are much further in the development process than most other HL2 mods, that should give you a major advantage. Good luck on your mod, I hope you and your team do very well.

Originally posted by worldspawn
nobody knows as of yet how long after the original half-life's events the events of half-life 2 occur.. it might be less than " a few years " probably not.. but if so, your whole premise for your mod has gone to shit. not to mention that as you stated, the facility has already been nuked and destroyed as shown at the end of op4.. i don't know what fun a crater would be to play.. but yeah.
You'd think that MAYBE, just MAYBE the facility would be able to withstand a nuclear blast. Come on, it's the biggest scientific project in the U.S., they wouldn't want a single missile or something to wipe out all that work. And I've also read somewhere that Gabe said the facility wasn't all destroyed by the nuke, only the surface areas were and some places that weren't very deep underground. If the worldwide Xen invasion spawned from Freeman's experiment in Black Mesa, its likely that after BM was nuked, many portalled areas were still intact, leaving paths to the surface for the Xen aliens to make their way through.

Moving on... guinny this sounds like an awesome mod idea. Going back to Black Mesa after being invaded (by aliens AND the military), bombs getting set off, massive assaults, and being nuked... it would look awesome. And the physics engine would definitely come into play with this mod.

Just one question: Why exactly is Gordon returning to BM? I'd guess it would be to turn off the Xen portals, but I could just as easily be wrong...

im really happy u all are liking this idea, and i promise you all itll be nothing short of amazing, and what u all want to see in a return-to-place-after-its-been-destroy themed game:) as for your question stigmata, he recalls a pastime of when Dr. Kliener told him what could happen if the experiment failed, and that there was a way to reverse the damage done. However, we the dev team have not decided upon what the reversal could be. Any suggestions will be appriciated and taken into consideration and credited for:)

How about one of those pressurised syringes for a weapon? Y'know, the sorta gun type thing. How bout you inject a beastie with it (doesn't necesarrily need to be a drug, though drugs of sorts could give it more versatility) just air. Then after you have done it a few times the air bubbles in its veins (or whatever these beasties have) blocks the circulation and it bucks the kicket.

[cccchhhttttt.........'Eeeekpeehhhhhrrrr'.........<thud>]

Sorry, just an odd idea that hit me. Time for bed. Hmm maybe a fire extinguisher, one mode of fire you spray the foam on the thing, the other mode you clunk it on the head.....

night

fire extinguisher idea taken into consideration and approved. credits will be given to Lupus. even though....he's....a bit tired shall we say :)

This sounds like a great mod, really interesting... That's really all I can think of.

I like the way it isn't a WWII mod.

Yep... way too many of them...

Also single player mods are way too few. Kudos just for attempting.

Credit you say? Hmm this will be a new experience. Hehe, I'm looking forward to the mod, sounds like you are putting alot of work into it, like having already done the maps in the HL1 engine and all :) .

Edit: Hmm more on the fire extinguisher idea: I'm not sure if the engine supports it or whatever (I dont know much about this stuff....or anything I guess), but maybe other than freezing enemies or whatever with the spray, maybe you could create a sort of smoke screen giving you some cover to escape or move around a bit.

Credit, i got some for Serious Sam (my nickname is in the credits :D)

I'd love to return to Black Mesa, especially since HL2 won't be affording me that opportunity. As for the whole nuking thing, like other people have said, take any liberties you want with that. BMRF was just too big and cool to be blown up by one nuke. Maybe that wasn't even the military's intention. Perhaps they just wanted to irradiate/kill all surviving aliens and humans so as to not leave any witnesses.

we were thinking about an opening scene, and wondering if the community would enjoy taking the tram they took into the facility, with the SAME EXACT words it said throughout its trip in the 1st one, except scratchy and skips alot. also the trip would be very bumpy and stall alot. what do u think?

Assuming the tram goes from the surface deep into the facility, would it not have been destroyed by the nuke? The top anyway.
Maybe Gordon could be lowered (or something) on a cable, until he comes across a trolley halfway. A couple of corpses inside would really give it a spooky feel.

The idea is great and I´m curious what other ideas you have come up with. This mod has great potential, please don´t let us down.

i have no intentions of letting u down, only making u players as happy with the mod as possible. JLOT will be a great experience, we promise:) the other ideas are pretty much planned and ready to go, and believe me you'll definately have uncomfortable and eery feelings plenty of times during the game ;) we'll take your opening scene idea into consideration, thanks for the support:cheers:

Great Idea, and one that wouldn't of really worked on the old engine to the best effect I would think...

A note on the fire extinguisher idea, right, primary fire wouldn't really affect the aliens... or maybe just stun them, and would make a smoke cloud to pass though (depending on which fire extinguisher you are planning to use?!?), and secondary fire would make you use it as club...

And I think the tram would be good, maybe having it slightly destroyed and, have the cable snap, and it plummet into darkness some where along the journey, therefore starting the game, from the wreck?

stone another excellent idea, we'll take it into consideration

Back