Jon St. John is Doing Voiceovers for Valve

-smash-

Content Director
Reaction score
So, Icefrog's little project at Valve may in fact be a DotA related title. My keen observation skills and impeccable detective work have led me to this conclusion. Also, my understanding of the English language helped me to decipher this Tweet I found today that further proves my theory.

Had a great time in Seattle last week recording for DotA. The guys at ValveSoftware are awesome!

1281158286_dota_1.jpg
[br]
That's right. Jon St. John, not just a guy with a cool name, but the guy that does the voice over work for that other cool dude Duke Nukem, had been in and out of the Valve recording booth last week. Apparently doing some stuff relating to Defense of the Ancients.
[br]
We'll keep you posted when we find out more.

Never was a big fan of DotA, but I'm more than a little curious about how this will turn out. This will be the first non-FPS game developed by Valve, right?

Never was a big fan of DotA, but I'm more than a little curious about how this will turn out. This will be the first non-FPS game developed by Valve, right?

If you don't want to count Alien Swarm, then yes. ;)

Oh yeah, I remember this now.

Wait... are the potential similarities between Alien Swarm and DotA starting to send shivers up anyone else's spine?

Oh yeah, I remember this now.

Wait... are the potential similarities between Alien Swarm and DotA starting to send shivers up anyone else's spine?

It's a bit weird how Valve is kidnapping mod makers and forcing them to make a fully licensed titles, yes. If that's what you mean?

/EDIT: I just remembered that's how they've always done it.

Partly yes, though also the similarity in gameplay. It sounds to me like the two might have been designed in tandem.

Edit: Yeah, it gets a bit scary when you realise their only truly original products are Half-Life and Ricochet. Just goes to show the power of Valve Polish™. Just for the list: CS, DoD, TF, Portal, L4D, AS, New DotA project and the paint mechanics in Portal 2 all from outsiders. Have I missed any?

what is all this DotA stuff about? has something to do with WoW right? crap! does this mean valve are doing WoW? Oh please God nooooo!

what is all this DotA stuff about? has something to do with WoW right? crap! does this mean valve are doing WoW? Oh please God nooooo!
Not World of Warcraft; Warcraft 3. It's a mod/map for Warcraft 3 where massive NPC armies fight each other while the players play as heroes in each army trying to turn the tide for their side. It's based on Aeon of Strife for Starcraft.

How is Alien Swarm remotely similar to DoTA now?
Weak swarms of NPCs versus powerful player-controlled characters. It's not the same thing, but there are similarities in the scenario.

Sooooo will this be a full retail game? A freebie like Alien Swarm? Or something else?

He was awesome as the Drill Instructor in Opposing Force.

I have it explained for me in every god damn Dota thread, but I still don't know what the **** it is.

Just ****ing play the map on Warcraft 3 or download League of Legends if you don't have WC3.

Anyways, I got excited at the thread title and then I saw it was for their DotA project.
:(

I have it explained for me in every god damn Dota thread, but I still don't know what the **** it is.
There are two bases on opposite sides of the map with the usual RTS defensive towers and barracks and stuff. In base spawns waves of NPCs to attack the opposite base of which the players has no control over. Left unattended the two sides just fight over the centre of the map for all eternity.

Each player picks a side and a hero to play as. You level up and earn money by killing enemies, destroying enemy buildings and killing enemy players. You use money to buy extra equipment. The objective is to turn the battle in favour of your army and then destroy the enemy's base.

So basically you play a RPG while the CPU sides wage a RTS in the background.

I posted this news on a different forum, opening the post with this:
The answer I got was
The answer you are looking for is "VAPORWARE"

It's true D:

Valve's first foray into the fantasy genre, I assume at least, can't see DoTA as anything else but Elves and magic.

Valve's first foray into the fantasy genre, I assume at least, can't see DoTA as anything else but Elves and magic.
You must have a poor imagination. It could easily be made into a sci-fi or other setting.

maybe valve bought the duke nuken name and is going to make a duke nuken rpg? :p

You must have a poor imagination. It could easily be made into a sci-fi or other setting.

My imagination is fine Mr. Combative ;), but yes it could be Sci-Fi, I highly doubt it, but it's possible. I only say that because Icefrog himself has said that his project is sure to please hardcore DoTA types, and seeing as they tend to be pretty conservative I don't think Icefrog would stray too far from the formula that has worked for DoTA and it's subsequent clones (HoN, LoL).

In any case it doesn't really matter, it will be what it will be.

Edit: Yeah, it gets a bit scary when you realise their only truly original products are Half-Life and Ricochet. Just goes to show the power of Valve Polish™. Just for the list: CS, DoD, TF, Portal, L4D, AS, New DotA project and the paint mechanics in Portal 2 all from outsiders. Have I missed any?

What about Deathmatch Classic?

^^^ Also OpFor DM which was awesome as hell (Badger used to be legendary at it)
My imagination is fine Mr. Combative ;), but yes it could be Sci-Fi, I highly doubt it, but it's possible. I only say that because Icefrog himself has said that his project is sure to please hardcore DoTA types, and seeing as they tend to be pretty conservative I don't think Icefrog would stray too far from the formula that has worked for DoTA and it's subsequent clones (HoN, LoL).

In any case it doesn't really matter, it will be what it will be.

It's easy to please hardcore DOTA types with hardcore DOTA gameplay. It doesn't really need to be fantasy, setting is irrelevant when it comes down to it, it's flavor not substance. The game mechanics are the important part. That being said I do suspect it'll be a fantasy or cartoony DOTA but sci-fi would sure be cool. I'd more easily see Valve going with a tongue-in-cheek cartoon setting (a la TF2 but probably with more fantasy elements and aesthetic) than a real high fantasy deal though.

What about Deathmatch Classic?
Not too aware of the history of DMC, was it a mod or created internally by Valve? Either way the idea pretty much came from Quake so they don't get the originality points, not that it really matters. Likewise Gearbox took what valve made and ran with it so their games aren't on the list.

Anyway, back to DotA: I only remember playing it a very, very long time ago at a small LAN once or twice. Those were the days, where you could actually see the people you were fighting across the table. The internet has done wonders, but it has taken that down a notch in recent years around here. Either that or the gaming scene ran off somewhere else while I wasn't looking.

Ew, fantasy.

I am much more excited about his mention of PAX, actually.

That's cool to hear, Jon also did voice overs for Off Limits last year, I can't wait to hear what he did for Valve.

Anyone else notice the tweet got pulled? :p Seems we are onto something

Not World of Warcraft; Warcraft 3. It's a mod/map for Warcraft 3 where massive NPC armies fight each other while the players play as heroes in each army trying to turn the tide for their side. It's based on Aeon of Strife for Starcraft.

Ah, the Aeon of Strife.... Who could forget the most biggest and brutal civil war in galactic history?

Back