Keeping My Account Safe

Maronan

Reaction score
Question regarding account security and whatnot—

If someone gets hold of my Steam password, logs into my account, and downloads and plays the games registered therein, but I figure out what's happening and change my password before the intruder does, have I successfully reclaimed my account and locked the intruder out? Would the Steam information saved on the intruder's computer allow him to keep playing games under my account even though his login credentials have an outdated password?

Definitely not. If this scenario had occurred, changing your password to something completely different (and preferably 16 characters long, with random numbers / upper & lower case letters) and you are also currently logged into the account, no one else has access to your games.

Steam accounts can only be logged in at one location at any time. If your account has been stolen in the past it would be good to work out where your security leak is and prevent it happening again.

Also it's a good idea to change the password of the email account linked to your Steam account too if the latter is compromised. The best way to keep your account safe though is simply to be careful. Don't give out your password to anyone, period, and never use anything other than the Steam program itself to log into Steam.

Steam accounts can only be logged in at one location at any time.

not true, you can only be playing a game at one time and i mean and online game. i do not believe there is a limit for single player.

Back